New Chiang Mai Airport - Any Updates?

BuckleUp

Anyone have any updates?

There's a map circulating around on Facebook that places the airport between San Kamphaeng and Lamphun.

Land prices around San Kamphaeng have gone psycho in the last year. Locals are talking about businesses that will want to buy land to make hotels, etc around the airport.

I love the peace and quiet. Quite concerned about an airport 2-5 km from us. That would be the nail in the coffin.

If anyone has any info pls do share...

24 minutes ago, BuckleUp said:

Ok thanks. 

Have they narrowed a location down? Ban Thi is quite populated on the west towards the Superhighway, but there's large vacant land on the east side?

IMHO with the numbers of tourists increasing rapidly, it's time to have 2 CM airports;

- Leave the existing one (with upgrades) for domestic flights and build a new one for international flights.

However i hope the new airport doesn't follow the trend for the last few decades of new airports (in many countries) being a long way outside of the city.

Is there another point - fast trains / very fast trains are already operating and more being built everywhere, and in many cases it's an attractive option; go to a central city railway station (often by train), no check-in and wait involved, get off at the destination, no wait for luggage, perhaps quickly take another train to your final destination.

And in many cases the overall time is less than the total time for air travel same trip. And in some countries / some routes the fast train (where widely used) is cheaper than air travel (faster and cheaper).

So if airlines are to remain viable for some routes perhaps they need to rethink some of their logistics, i.e. airports close to town, plus better planning for check-in, waiting at departure gate, waiting to pick up luggage at destination. etc?

(Twice in the last 2 weeks I took domestic flights into Don Muang, wait time at destination to retrieve check-in luggage: Trip 1) 90 minutes,  Trip 2) 60 minutes.)

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

IMHO with the numbers of tourists increasing rapidly, it's time to have 2 CM airports;

- Leave the existing one (with upgrades) for domestic flights and build a new one for international flights.

Wrong way around - the new airport is going to be domestic only, the CNX expansion (that is the existing airport) which also got a green light today from AoT involves the building of a new international terminal. 

Any new airport will need to be linked with a fast track light rail or similar plus a road upgrade to the city.

If funding is to come from Bangkok and we look at how long its taken to upgrade the Immigration Office ,which on opening will prove to be too small with very little parking,its going to take at least 10 years and maybe more for a new airport to become a reality.

The new airport in Hanoi is apparently 45 kms out of the city but havent heard any backlash on the distance .Hope to try it out later this year

55 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

The new airport in Hanoi is apparently 45 kms out of the city but havent heard any backlash on the distance .Hope to try it out later this year

Closer to 30kms to the Old Quarter and first half is motorway so no big deal. Try Mandalay and Bangalore if you fancy a ride into town.

Back to Chiang Mai.....

2 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Closer to 30kms to the Old Quarter and first half is motorway so no big deal. Try Mandalay and Bangalore if you fancy a ride into town.

Back to Chiang Mai.....

Thanks,the report on distance I read was obviously wrong then but the point I was making airports well out of town,which makes sense to me, need to be supported by transport infrastructure.

I dont see the influx of foreigners,especially the Chinese,slowing and CM has serious infrastucture problems seemingly without any plans

5 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Thanks,the report on distance I read was obviously wrong then but the point I was making airports well out of town,which makes sense to me, need to be supported by transport infrastructure.

I dont see the influx of foreigners,especially the Chinese,slowing and CM has serious infrastucture problems seemingly without any plans

In Hanoi at present and the airport is only linked by road so If you are heading here for first time have your hotel of choice set a car up to meet. Will cost you $18 but worth it first time around. 

If you think Chiang Mai is clogged with tourists you won't believe Hanoi, at least the Old Quarter, and cant blame it all on the Chinese as numbers of non Asians about is hideous.

Back to Chiang Mai......

NO lordblackader has got it right. The old airport is going to be International, the new one is domestic. Got that from very good mail. 

Most of you won't live to see it open so you might as well stop talking about it.

Now the extension of the current airport however, that you'll likely witness.   I think the first step is a new car park building, and then a new terminal building + more gates. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Most of you won't live to see it open so you might as well stop talking about it.

Now the extension of the current airport however, that you'll likely witness.   I think the first step is a new car park building, and then a new terminal building + more gates. 

Well it will be continued to be discussed despite your disdain for anyone who doesnt fill your age profile, not for the first time on this forum ,rather tiresome.

Most of us have read the planned upgrades to the existing airport and proposed new airport,all hopefully will come one day.

However plans are one thing ,completion is up to funding and political considerations,the latter at this time rather obvious indicated by the number of major projects being shuffled around according to media reports.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ummmmmmm   Why is that "useless"?  It actually clearly shows the location, including the old existing airport (airpark) there.    Best I've seen so far.  Been at the old airpark a number of times - always thought that would be a great location for a new runway.  BTW, the old airport's name is Lanna Airpark Airport and is well labelled as you get close. 

From CM, take Highway 11 South to Highway 1180 - turn left (East) - it's about 9 km from the Highway 11 intersection.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

ummmmmmm   Why is that "useless"?  It actually clearly shows the location, including the old existing airport (airpark) there.    Best I've seen so far.  Been at the old airpark a number of times - always thought that would be a great location for a new runway.  BTW, the old airport's name is Lanna Airpark Airport and is well labelled as you get close. 

From CM, take Highway 11 South to Highway 1180 - turn left (East) - it's about 9 km from the Highway 11 intersection.

I was told about 10 years ago it would be near Ban Thi on the way to Lamphun. Is that the location on the map, or is it another location?