Air Asia Excess

sceadugenga

Anybody had to pay excess baggage on Air Asia? If so how much per kilo?

I booked a return domestic flight as part of an international package before realising I'll almost certainly come back with more stuff than I took.

Do I have any other options from BKK, unaccompanied baggage for example, if it worked out cheaper?

I haven't had to pay myself but according to the Air Asia Terms & Conditions You are allowed 15Kg checked in baggage, 7Kg hand luggage. Excess baggage is charged at B80/Kg+7%vat (for domestic flights) They are strict but I managed to check in 17Kg as I had no hand baggage.
Do I have any other options from BKK, unaccompanied baggage for example, if it worked out cheaper?
Depends where you are going, other cheap carriers have higher allowances. eg One2Go gives a 20Kg check in allowance and Nok Air has a premium class (B500 more expensive) which gives a 30Kg check in allowance besides other benefits. Edited by Mahout Angrit

I haven't had to pay myself but according to the Air Asia Terms & Conditions You are allowed 15Kg checked in baggage, 7Kg hand luggage. Excess baggage is charged at B160/Kg.

It's a little more complex than that:

International FD flights (i.e Thai AirAsia) are charged at 140 baht/kg for overweight, domestic flights are 80 baht/kg.

International AK flights (i.e Malaysian AirAsia) are charged at 160 baht/kg or 14 ringgit/kg for overweight.

By my own observation, AirAsia is very strict about overweight bags in Malaysia, less so in Thailand but it seems like they are trending towards stricter even in Thailand. See this thread for my own AirAsia baggage experience when departng from Kuala Lumpur last week.

I booked a return domestic flight as part of an international package before realising I'll almost certainly come back with more stuff than I took.

I was once checking in with Air Asia to go to BKK - I was a few kg over, and they wanted to charge, but they said take something out and put it in your hand luggage. So I left the queue, started to open my bag, then thought "sod it, I'll just pay the excess" and went to rejoin the queue. That queue was busy so I went to the next one. When I weighed my bags there I was ok, not overweight ! Karma.

I think its like a poster above says - depends on who is behind the couinter (and probably how busy the flight is)

Back in October I was not charged any extra to Singapore from Bangkok but in January had to pay for 2 kilo over at 280THB in total I think it was.

Their scales started at 1.6 and only took off he extra when this was pointed out.

The queue is a bloody nightmare though with Indians, Singaporeans and Farangs all in front of me taking ages to re-distribute items to hand luggage to avoid paying - why do they let them do that at the counter instead of out the queue?

When I got there she said I would have to take things out - my reply was along the lines of "Do you think i am going to remove dirty laundry in front of this queue for 300THb - just pay"

Next week for CNY its TG Biz Class - I get 40++ kilo (is it 50kg with a Gold Card) on there but am probably only taking hand luggage - typical

The last time I flew with Air Asia (Phuket to BKK) I had to pay for overweight. I can't remember how many kgs it was, but the extra cost was almost as much as the ticket. With them you are best to have the heavy stuff in your carry on bag. And if they ask you for extra money remind them that Air Asia flights are usually late and you might get a break.

With them you are best to have the heavy stuff in your carry on bag.

Suggest you read my recent report regarding carry-on bags and AirAsia.

While I agree with you those I saw leaving for Singapore had loads of overweight carry on and they did not seem to care it was just being transferred from hold luggage to hand luggage????

They were even taking items of people at the gate for the hold and no payments

They certainly are not consistent - unless I am booking way ahead I will stick to SQ or TG I think as I am not that price sensitive when booking close to flight time.

With them you are best to have the heavy stuff in your carry on bag.

Suggest you read my recent report regarding carry-on bags and AirAsia.

While I agree with you those I saw leaving for Singapore had loads of overweight carry on and they did not seem to care it was just being transferred from hold luggage to hand luggage????

They were even taking items of people at the gate for the hold and no payments

They certainly are not consistent - unless I am booking way ahead I will stick to SQ or TG I think as I am not that price sensitive when booking close to flight time.

That has always been my experience in the past. I had never seen AirAsia perform the checking of carry-on bag weight as witnessed in KL last week, which is why I posted that report. I was just looking to get some feedback as to whether strict enforcement of the weight limit was a new policy of theirs, a KL-only thing, or just an unlucky day for me. No conclusions were reached...