Ford Escape or Toyota Sport-Rider

simon43

I'm still mulling over what used vehicle to buy when I return to Thailand early next year.  I previously posted a thread asking about the Jeep Cherokee and Landrover Freelander.  Both these SUVs suit my lifestyle (throw kids, shopping etc in the back...).

But then I see that prices to buy used Ford Escape or Toyota Sport-Rider SUVs is well within my budget, and presumably the dealer/service network for Ford and Toyota is better than for Jeep and Landrover?

I want an SUV that will do minimal off-road (only muddy tracks etc).  Which of these 2 SUVs is more reliable, better mileage etc?

Appreciate any input and suggestions.

Whatever you do, forget about the Land Rover. I owned a Discovery years ago, great vehicle to drive, but I probably paid half as much for repairs as I did to purchase it. Never again.

I own a Toyota Avanza here, it's now 12 years old, and besides maintenance, I've spent about 10,000 Baht in repairs over the 12 years since I bought it new. It still runs like new and is the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. About half the vehicles in Thailand are Toyotas, almost every mechanic in the country knows them and parts are generally  always available. 

• Like 2

The Escape came in 2.3L and 3.0L versions.  As JaiLai said the 3.0L V6 was heavy on fuel but many have been converted to LPG.  The 2.3L was better on fuel but like the CR-V etc of this era, not as good as the newer generation SUV's.  The 4WD Escape a FWD based system that automatically adds the RWD if the front wheels slip.  It also has a lock to hold 4WD on loose surfaces.  They have medium ground clearance but usually car type tyres so only suitable for moderate off road conditions.  The 2.3L power train was pretty solid and reliable to 300 to 400, 000 km.  The V6 not so much. 

Way more Ford dealers and Escapes in LOS than Jeep or Landrover.  However Toyota dealers are way more common than Ford.  Sport Riders are not that common but the Hilux they were based on is, so parts availability and mechanics familiarity is better than for the Escape.   Used parts from Japan etc also good options for Sport Rider major parts. 

The V6 Escape acceleration was good but the 2.3L and Sport Rider are both pretty sedate.  The Escape drives like a car and handles OK, similar to the Freelander.  The Sport Rider is more like and (old) pickup truck on the road but more capable as a 4WD with low range and part time 4WD like a pickup.  The later Sport Riders had the D4D common rail engine which was better to drive.  Injector and fuel pump repairs are more expensive though.  

Edited by Jitar

6 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Whatever you do, forget about the Land Rover. I owned a Discovery years ago, great vehicle to drive, but I probably paid half as much for repairs as I did to purchase it. Never again.

I own a Toyota Avanza here, it's now 12 years old, and besides maintenance, I've spent about 10,000 Baht in repairs over the 12 years since I bought it new. It still runs like new and is the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. About half the vehicles in Thailand are Toyotas, almost every mechanic in the country knows them and parts are generally  always available. 

And the other half are nearly all Isuzu trucks.  I would have either.  NEVER  a Land Rover for cost of maintenance, even much worse here.  Ford? Either love em or hate em. For me, Isuzu Mu X  or Toyota something sporty in this country.  NOTHING else unless money is no object.  70 million Thais can't be wrong. My last five Toyotas have been amazing.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

Is a diesel Sport-Rider a good idea? I see adverts for a 3 litre diesel model.  Are there benefits of having a diesel engine as opposed to a petrol version?

I always thought that diesel engines were more long-lasting and cheaper fuel to run, but engine repairs were more expensive than for petrol engines.

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Is a diesel Sport-Rider a good idea? I see adverts for a 3 litre diesel model.  Are there benefits of having a diesel engine as opposed to a petrol version?

I always thought that diesel engines were more long-lasting and cheaper fuel to run, but engine repairs were more expensive than for petrol engines.

Long life & basically trouble free.....Maintenance costs minimal.....

Don't think I've ever seen a petrol one = wouldn't want one....

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 10:58 AM, simon43 said:

Diesel has more grunt than a petrol. lasts a long time, fuel is cheap and you get more MPG...Plus modern diesel engines are waaaaay more quieter than yest-er year...

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Diesel has more grunt than a petrol. lasts a long time, fuel is cheap and you get more MPG...Plus modern diesel engines are waaaaay more quieter than yest-er year...

From memory the old 2.3L Escapes on petrol did around 8km/L in mixed use.  The 3.0L Vigo and Fortuner diesel autos were around 11km/L in the same conditions.  The Escape was only 145hp, but lighter than the Sport Rider or Fortuner.  Think the Sport Rider engine had less power than the Fortuner (160hp) but both had more torque especially at low revs than the Escape.  Acceleration ends up similar but the petrol engine needs to rev harder so the diesels feel a lot more relaxed to drive and are more economical.

• Like 1