"You're nicked!" Pattaya taxi drivers forced to pay 1,000 baht fines for not using the meter

rooster59

On 7/28/2018 at 5:41 AM, darksidedog said:

I will be very happy if they actually keep that up. 1,000 Baht every time they don't turn their meter on, will see most of them well out of pocket, many repeatedly so. I have no problem with anyone earning a living, but no one likes to be ripped off every trip. Funnily enough, if they did use their meters all the time, they would probably find themselves with much more custom, once people realised they could be trusted, but that may take some time for these bandits to figure out.

agree

and the same goes for taxis and tuk-tuks in Phuket,

if they would charge sensible prices they would have business all day

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Saw police on Friday giving a taxi driver a fine for parking on a bus stop on 2nd Road near Hard Rock. Seems to be a battle of wills going on, for now.

I don't know, perhaps one of the Baht Bus mafia is a high(er) ranking policeman? That would see it cancelled I'm sure.

My Thai teacher managed to get that to happen after a no helmet stop, as she taught the police chief's kids.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

I have to agree with the taxi drivers they need the base fare raised. 1998 when they started the meter thing the base fare was 35 baht has only recently been raised for select drivers. 40baht for base fare in Pattaya is way to low as well. 

I know we all love the cheap fare but it should be raised a bit to help these guys out.

• Confused 1

Where are the fines going? Ah...into the police coffers. So don't make the fine too large or the taxi drivers may feel the risk of being fined too great eliminating this new, highly lucrative method of moving funds to the police. 

Since enforcement can't be 100 percent the fines must be substantial enough to make the risk/reward equation a no brainer. 

7 hours ago, moe666 said:

I have to agree with the taxi drivers they need the base fare raised. 1998 when they started the meter thing the base fare was 35 baht has only recently been raised for select drivers. 40baht for base fare in Pattaya is way to low as well. 

I know we all love the cheap fare but it should be raised a bit to help these guys out.

Huh? They don't use the meters. PERIOD. The base fare could one baht. No diff!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chama said:

Where are the fines going? Ah...into the police coffers. So don't make the fine too large or the taxi drivers may feel the risk of being fined too great eliminating this new, highly lucrative method of moving funds to the police. 

Since enforcement can't be 100 percent the fines must be substantial enough to make the risk/reward equation a no brainer. 

Fair point. The net effect of this may be drivers raising their all rip off non-meter fares 25 percent to pay the fines. Cost of doing business. Passed on to the poor suckers using these fake taxi meters.

Sure there is a way of being serious about this. Kicking the offending drivers (ALL of them at this point) out of the business. But they won't do that, will they? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 10:41 AM, darksidedog said:

I will be very happy if they actually keep that up. 1,000 Baht every time they don't turn their meter on, will see most of them well out of pocket, many repeatedly so. I have no problem with anyone earning a living, but no one likes to be ripped off every trip. Funnily enough, if they did use their meters all the time, they would probably find themselves with much more custom, once people realised they could be trusted, but that may take some time for these bandits to figure out.

If they used their meter all the time they’d be cheaper than motorcycle taxi lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

If they used their meter all the time they’d be cheaper than motorcycle taxi lol

Win win all around trickle effect.  Motorbike taxis will go to 30 baht and baht bus taxis will be cheaper too.  

20 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

have you heard the joke about the taxi driver and tourist who agreed on a fare without a meter?

when they arrived at the destination the taxi guy wanted twice as much as what they had agreed.

Ha ha! Works with tuk tuks out in the sticks too.

Agreed on 100 Baht for 6km, the driver went really slowly all the way, he didn't need me telling him directions either. Arrived, telling me it was a long way and wanted double the agreed price!

Gave him the 100 Baht and walked away. He started following me, but gave up after a couple of minutes as I ignored him completely.

Mother-in-law was really angry when I mentioned it to her later, as she said it should be no more than 60 Baht.

On 7/28/2018 at 2:14 PM, Bob12345 said:

That wont work, cause the complete police force will move indoors again when the media is gone.

Who is going to fine them then if police officers cannot be bothered to work?

That is the whole problem in this country, there are enough laws to keep things in check.. but they are not enforced.. then they make new laws to solve the problem but they don't get enforced either. All they need to do is let the police do work instead of being indoors all the time. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is the whole problem in this country, there are enough laws to keep things in check.. but they are not enforced.. then they make new laws to solve the problem but they don't get enforced either. All they need to do is let the police do work instead of being indoors all the time. 

Well, yes, though I assume the police aren't paid well and aren't well motivated to enforce the law unless otherwise motivated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, yes, though I assume the police aren't paid well and aren't well motivated to enforce the law unless otherwise motivated. 

I doubt extra pay is a motivator in this case, they get a percentage of all fines they write. So enforcing the law would give them more money. 

Just now, robblok said:

I doubt extra pay is a motivator in this case, they get a percentage of all fines they write. So enforcing the law would give them more money. 

Interesting. 

Are you saying they are legally allowed to skim fines?

Maybe the cut isn't high enough.

Maybe the drivers are their buddies. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Bit of everything. Gotta find the right people for the job first then pay them well. I see it a lot and think how the hell did this person get the job.  Showing no interest,  no proactivity, and being rude are best traits to have it seems if you want a job 

On 7/28/2018 at 11:49 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Funny guys they always ask where u go???

Then whatever destination u tell them its amazingly  always not possible to go there with the meter on..

Why it says Meter taxi on their roof?

We've been trying to figure that out for about 10 years.

• Haha 1