The week that was in Thailand news: Give the tourists amulets and get Big Vera - you know it makes sense!

rooster59

What about the poster who translated the PM's tirade into a new motto for the regime:

'Happiness is a punch in the face'.

Shades of 'truthspeak' from  '1984'. He deserves a Rooster award.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

...This had me going to my Scrabble dictionary just in case there was a word "TRUMPLIKE"...

I hope I am not going too far off topic with this but having learnt English the hard way, ie as a foreign language, questions like these always pique my interest.

It is unlikely that TRUMPLIKE will ever make it into the Scrabble dictionary because when the two words refer to a human they are hyphenated, ie Trump-like, unlike with animals, where there are adjectives such as birdlike and wolflike.

I don’t know about the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary, but I have come across the occasional adjective derived from a person’s name with the use of the suffix –esque or –ite in common dictionaries, eg:

Rubens  -->  Rubenesque
Thatcher  -->  Thatcherite

I suggest that we leave it to Rooster, since he brought up the subject, to make the choice between Trumpesque and Trumpite and then we, the members of Thaivisa, spread this newly-created adjective throughout the world until it makes it into the dictionaries, hopefully also into the Scrabble dictionary. Or should we make a poll, but what forum would be suitable for it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black arab said:

Pony and trap on the beach lol

Nice one Rooster?

Rooster has such a beautiful way with words, often bringing back old memories (but we didn't go on a sandy beach with with the trap, of course)

1476947193_ponyandtrap.jpg.5a45bdc18677e390e005cbec348bd789.jpg

Image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tudedude/37301362156/

Edited by Puccini
added photo (not of me)
  • Like 1

Rooster, glad you had a break from BKK and enjoyed the ocean at Hua Hin.

It is still a great place to get away to and the prices are not to extreme.

Night markets provide some evening entertainment, and lots of

places to eat as well. Thanks for your entertaining weekly report.

• 3 weeks later...