Purchase of meds online.

malt25

Good morning all.  I'm contemplating purchasing a medication online. Have been taking, prescribed by Australian GP, for over 12 years. I usually get when I go back to Australia twice each year. I can buy here in LOS but extremely expensive. Has anyone experienced problems with customs when buying medications online ? Thanks in advance.

As per my experience, Thai custom will put duty on all meds coming into the country unless it sent as a inconspicuous mail looking like an ordinary package, and the duties are not cheap, if you can get the shipper to send it in normal mail service and NOT by a courier such DHL and alike and with no invoices showing you'd be ok...   

It is technically illegal to import medications through the mail unless you have a pharmacological import license from the FDA, which you cannot get.

In practice, customs will usually let through small quantities if sent by regular post, assuming not a controlled substance. If sent by a courier it will be rejected by customs as they will ask you to produce said license.

What is the medication? There are often inexpensive locally made versions available under different brand name.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is technically illegal to import medications through the mail unless you have a pharmacological import license from the FDA, which you cannot get.

In practice, customs will usually let through small quantities if sent by regular post, assuming not a controlled substance. If sent by a courier it will be rejected by customs as they will ask you to produce said license.

What is the medication? There are often inexpensive locally made versions available under different brand name.

Hi Sheryl. Thanks for that.

You have offered advice on this topic, to me, some time back. I have found a few pharmacies that can provide the medication, but it appears very expensive to me.

It's  Effexor, 150mg. I'm more than happy to go with a generic brand. Generic is what I usually bring back from Oz.

I'll welcome any info, advice.

Thanks again.

Mal.

Locally made brand is Valosine. Not super cheap, but cheaper than Efexor.

if you have trouble sourcing it, contact the distributor to find a pharmacy they have supplied to. If you are willing to buy in bulk (say 6-12 months supply at a time) you might be able to buy direct from the distributor which would further reduce costs.

Union Medical
513/199-200
Jaransanitwong Rd
Soi 37 Bangkoknoi Bangkok 10700
tel.png Tel: (+66) 2412 1915, (+66) 2412 3046, (+66) 2412 937

They won't speak English, you need to have a Thai speaker call

if you are in Bkk, go in person, that will get the best response

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sheryl. No, not cheap at all. Had the local pharmacy get me 28 days supply, collected yesterday. Valosine. 2600 baht. Ouch !  I contacted  UNION MEDICAL about 12-18 months ago re 12 month purchase. No luck with price reduction.

20 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Malt,

Try online pharmacies in India. Google for numerous choices.I have imported a few generics a number of times and they will usually ship regular type mail.

Good luck]Lefty

Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

I have chronic insomnia. I have been taking Xanax or ambience for the past 20 years. I have always brought a supply from U.S. where i have a dr's prescription. How can i get my prescription refilled in Thailand. I live in Isaan

Have you approached local pharmacy ? So any chemists here speak ok English & I have found they will go out of their way to assist. Where in Isaan are you ?

I have chronic insomnia. I have been taking Xanax or ambience for the past 20 years. I have always brought a supply from U.S. where i have a dr's prescription. How can i get my prescription refilled in Thailand. I live in Isaan
You cannot get a US pdescription filled here anx in any event these are controlled substances usually available only at hospitals and clinics. You sill need to see a dictor at a hospital ir clinic and it may prove difficult to get them to prescribe it. Showing your us script may help in that regard but still, maybe hard to get more than small quantity.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app