Police Clearance for Extension of Stay (Work)

My SA friend rocked up to do her extension of stay last week and was told that she needed a police clearance certificate from RTP. This doesn't seem to apply to all nationalities but just some (seemingly African at the moment). Anyway, I find it odd as the certificate is from RTP, so shows only things you've been charged with IN THAILAND - so anybody from the UK, for example, could commit a crime in Thailand, but get their extension no problem, because UK citizens don't need the clearance certificate.

I'm all for doing criminal background checks, but then apply it across the board, please. Also, how the hell was she supposed to smell the new regulation???? We've looked online and haven't found any such list of countries that suddenly need the Police Clearance for a work extension.

You've been looking online and haven't found anything? It's one of the topics that's discussed in many threads here and in other forums. 

The web is full of articles about the criminal check for a teacher, applying for a Non=-B. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/54614-Non-Immigrant-Visa-B----To-Teach-in-Thailand.html

http://www.webster.ac.th/humanresources/non-b-visa.html

16 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

You've been looking online and haven't found anything? It's one of the topics that's discussed in many threads here and in other forums. 

The web is full of articles about the criminal check for a teacher, applying for a Non=-B. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/54614-Non-Immigrant-Visa-B----To-Teach-in-Thailand.html

http://www.webster.ac.th/humanresources/non-b-visa.html

A Non-Immigrant B visa is not the same as an extension of stay, and the required documents and points of contact where one can apply are completely different.

Now, back on topic...

If you have a link directing me to the new requirements (and I say 'new requirements' as those were the words used by the immigration officer) for individuals from certain countries (in this case, South Africa), please feel free to share.

5 minutes ago, SABloke said:

A Non-Immigrant B visa is not the same as an extension of stay, and the required documents and points of contact where one can apply are completely different.

Now, back on topic...

If you have a link directing me to the new requirements (and I say 'new requirements' as those were the words used by the immigration officer) for individuals from certain countries (in this case, South Africa), please feel free to share.

I’m aware that a Non-B visa and an extension of one is not the same procedure and paperwork. But both are done by Immigration officers. I don’t know if this officer disliked your friend, or if such new regulations are really existing. In the end, it’s up to the Immigration officers and they can come up with reasons that make no sense just to show their power.

I’ve never heard that they want to see a criminal background check when extending a visa, but I’ve experienced a totally different Immigration office myself in May when I extended my Non-O. The office was always very easygoing and they know me for 16 years.

This time was totally different. The lady with the highest rank took out all documents, checked each visa sticker from Laos and Cambodia a couple of times. She even went online and checked on my provisional TL, which I had in form of a copy.

Did she really think that I photoshopped this document, were my thoughts? I was really shocked and surprised at the same time how much they’ve changed. Of course would such an Immigration officer not show us such new regulations, methinks. 

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

...She even went online and checked on my provisional TL, which I had in form of a copy...

What does TL stand for in the context of your post?

12 hours ago, SABloke said:

My SA friend rocked up to do her extension of stay last week and was told that she needed a police clearance certificate from RTP.

Which immigration office? I suspect it is a local policy not a national one. I have seen no reports of it being required.

A Thai police clearance is accepted at nearby embassies and consulates. 

I think the Police Clearance Certificate center checks with interpol for for any international alerts as part of their process of issuing one for foreigners.

9 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

But both are done by Immigration officers.

There are no immigration officers at a embassy or consulate. They are consular officers that work for the MFA not the immigration bureau. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Which immigration office? I suspect it is a local policy not a national one. I have seen no reports of it being required.

A Thai police clearance is accepted at nearby embassies and consulates. 

I think the Police Clearance Certificate center checks with interpol for for any international alerts as part of their process of issuing one for foreigners.

It was Bangkok. Anyway, I will be there next week so shall find out where the policy comes from and post any relevant info. 

14 minutes ago, SABloke said:

It was Bangkok. Anyway, I will be there next week so shall find out where the policy comes from and post any relevant info. 

Has she applied for the police clearance yet at the center for them in Bangkok.

It can be obtained quicker by using the agent that they recommend on their website. Click "By Out source" on the left side of their home page. http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

• Thanks 1

A criminal record check is required for people when applying for the Non-B visa in the case of teachers not for an extension.

It applies to every nationality and is not different depending on the consulate or embassy. It's across the board. This has been in effect for almost three years now.

40 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

A criminal record check is required for people when applying for the Non-B visa in the case of teachers not for an extension.

It applies to every nationality and is not different depending on the consulate or embassy. It's across the board. This has been in effect for almost three years now.

Well, people from certain African countries have required one for their extension of stay for more than a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

That's news to me, thanks. Seems unfair racial profiling.

Read Posts #1 & #3. The whole reason I started his thread is because the clearance certificate was requested for an extension of stay.

And it's not so much a case of racial profiling, more along the lines of political profiling.

Edited by SABloke

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I asked at immigration (Bangkok) today and it is now a requirement for South Africans to provide a Thai Police Clearnace certificate when applying for an extension of stay. I asked if there was a list of countries somewhere online and was told "no". I also asked what the point was since anybody from any country could  commit crimes in Thailand and was told that some South Africans were up to no good.?

• 8 months later...

As befits Thailand, racist profiling and discrimination!

I am well aware that even 10 years ago Thai Embassy in Vientienne was rejecting visa applications from South Africans, advising me that they can't do anything for people from Africa, and now-retired Big Joke was quoted as saying recently that people of colour and South Africans in Thailand are up to no good.

Now some South African retirement and marriage extension applicants in Thailand are required to get a police clearance certificate, so this entails another visit to Immigration to obtain a special letter requesting assistance from Police Clearance division before their extension application can be checked.

What an utter waste of time and money!

• 8 months later...

Just to advise that in September last year (2019), I first had to go to Immigration to get a request typed up by the head honcho in the extensions department, then head to Police HQ for a police clearance certificate. This is an additional requirement for South Africans / Africans applying at Chang Watthana Immigration department, so adds up to another visit to that delightful place - took about 2 - 3 hours to see the senior officer and wait for the request form, and then another few hours traveling and visiting the Police office. So count on a day lost...I am on a annual marriage extension, but it also applies to retirement extensions. Maybe some South African applicant can enlighten me if things have changed recently.