Getting a bank account, reading a closed thread

First off, I hope this is in the correct place. I'm sure it will be moved if not. 

I've been a member here for a long time. Not posted but a few times. I just wanted to tell about my experience getting a bank account in the "land of smiles". 

I am married to a Thai citizen, we both live I  the United States. I will be retiring in a few years, with the plan to move to Thailand soon after. I will be receiving a pension from the U.S.

While looking for a solution to get my pension money into Thailand. I found a thread stating that Bangkok Bank. Has a branch office in New York city that I can have the pension direct deposited into. Several years later (a few months ago). While in Thailand decided it would be a good time to take care of the bank account thing. 

After the first attempt/fail my wife informed me that I could not open an account with Bangkok Bank. So.... I read on the banks website about the requirements to obtain an account. It states that a "foreigner with a long stay or tourist visa" can get a savings account. Then lists documents required. All I needed was an affidavit from the embassy stating who I am and my purpose for the affidavit was to get a bank account, and my passport.  BTW the embassy charges $50 for the affidavit. We then stopped at the nearest Bangkok bank branch. I had a bank account in 30 minutes on tourist visa. It is a pass book account, but I do have an atm card. The minimum deposit is 500 baht. I deposited 5000 to cover fees until I am back to use the account again. 

• Like 1