Thai Labour Law: Royal Decree blows work permits wide open

webfact

18 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I'm wondering if it applies to black people? 

Doubt it as working "black" is illegal with or without WP....:whistling:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

This makes no sense at all in light of recent police and immigration initiatives. Could this be the result of the meeting that the Generals had with President Trump???  It is not consistent with recent Thai policy.

Are you referring to: overstay, enter country illegally, working without work permit,  etc?

23 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

Sorry meant to reply to this.

What am I missing then? In what circumstance would most holders of a work permit need to perform other activities outside of their current employer?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thousands and thousands of teachers on 30000 a month that want to work on Saturday at a learning center. 

Maids that want to use their one day off to earn some extra money. Company workers that want to moonlight. 

Thousands and thousands of teachers on 30000 a month that want to work on Saturday at a learning center. 

Maids that want to use their one day off to earn some extra money. Company workers that want to moonlight. 

I see. Given this govt track record I just can’t see this is the demographic they would have in mind. All I can go off is my circle and they sure as hell don’t want to moonlight. Anyway, we shall see I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you referring to: overstay, enter country illegally, working without work permit,  etc?

Recent initiatives had to do with rounding up those working without work permits or the CORRECT permit.

Me thinks that the entire subject of work law liberalization has been misinterpreted by some foreign lawyers causing all the excitement and confusion.

The degree change has to be seen in respect to migrant workers coming to Thailand under MOU conditions and stay here on basis of Non-Immigrant L-A.

Previously, those people had to stick with one employer once they were permitted to work legally, one type of work and the employer was responsible for accommodation. Usually at the premises where they were allowed to work. 

Although they may have worked legally there activities were not in line with the law because manual labor and/or unskilled labor was exclusively reserved for those holding Thai nationality. This has been corrected now but obviously causing confusion. 

You may want to take a look at the subject of migrant workers in Thailand at the link Migrant Labours in Thailand

For "farang" and/or any other nationalities not falling under MOU there is only very little change. Actually, nothing to get exited about. Mainly short term activities to the benefit of Thailand and her people.

Simply said, this statement cannot hold to be true:

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type of work, that is not excluded by the Official List.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-royal-decree-blows-work-permits-wide-open-68051.php#RwhAfFCmjhiutTLS.99

My two cents to the subject. ?
  • Like 2

Just a minor change, I'm afraid. A bit simpler to change workplace and type of job. But you still need a work permit from a legit company (with at least 4 employees etc etc.) And no, you cannot just work for yourself, as the article states.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Don't tell them and remain a tourist or whatever.

If you need a company, bank account and pay taxes for various benefits then do it through an eCompany such as in Estonia with their eResidency program. 

However up to now that is explicitly and clearly illegal. 

This change 'may' mean that has changed, but needs clarification. 

49 minutes ago, Richard Hall said:

Me thinks that the entire subject of work law liberalization has been misinterpreted by some foreign lawyers causing all the excitement and confusion.

The degree change has to be seen in respect to migrant workers coming to Thailand under MOU conditions and stay here on basis of Non-Immigrant L-A.

Previously, those people had to stick with one employer once they were permitted to work legally, one type of work and the employer was responsible for accommodation. Usually at the premises where they were allowed to work. 

Although they may have worked legally there activities were not in line with the law because manual labor and/or unskilled labor was exclusively reserved for those holding Thai nationality. This has been corrected now but obviously causing confusion. 

You may want to take a look at the subject of migrant workers in Thailand at the link Migrant Labours in Thailand

For "farang" and/or any other nationalities not falling under MOU there is only very little change. Actually, nothing to get exited about. Mainly short term activities to the benefit of Thailand and her people.

Simply said, this statement cannot hold to be true:

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone (including themselves), under any conditions, and do any type of work, that is not excluded by the Official List.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-law-royal-decree-blows-work-permits-wide-open-68051.php#RwhAfFCmjhiutTLS.99

My two cents to the subject. ?

I fully agree that it's for Thai companies who employ migrant workers. It allows them to use their worker in different provinces etc without re-registration or new WP's in different areas.

• Like 2

I don’t get this will Farang English teachers now be moonlighting as Grab drivers?

WELL, if they do, at least you will get a GRAB driver who knows how to read a map and can find your house, because MOST Thai Grab drivers can't.

53 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

wow this is excellent news!

Calm down son, you're way off target with that comment.

Please don't believe that you can apply for your WP when you do your 90 day report at 7/11.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, bangkoklawyer24 said:

These are the biggest news on Thailand's foreigner regulatory framework for years. Implemented already some months ago. I know a dozen big Bangkok law firms who would publish such BREAKING NEWS all over the Internet. But just a farang law office in Phuket makes these headlines. I smell fake news. 

If the article would be true, each employed foreigner could set-up a Co. Ltd. with a registered capital of THB 300 together with his wife/girlfriend and no employees to work as an international business advisor. 

How naive do you have to be to believe such fairytale? 

How do you read any of that from what has been published ?? 

1 hour ago, Oceanbat said:

What am I missing then?

Nothing much, more than about everything.

Could it be possible that a person working as a teacher in Thailand at a specific school, would like to, legally with the WP, do some extra income with online teaching?

Can a person that work as a Head of SEO at a marketing company, would like to offer webdesign to his own clientel?

Could it be nice for a person to decide by self if wishes to do extra work on spare time, in any kind of area?

As you understand the list can be very long, but I hope and guess that you got the point now. Unfortunately the things happening now, is as far away as possible for a person to achieve this anyway. This is only a small portion of what needs to be done to achieve freedom on the side with one and the same WP. 

17 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

How do you read any of that from what has been published ?? 

Probably because like some posters it's based on 20 plus years of experience living and working in Thailand. Either that or has the experience to know nothing that comes out of a lawyer mouth or from his keyboard is within a mile of the truth.

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

I'm wondering if it applies to black people? 

I was walking through some part of Bangrak, and there seemed to be an African community right next to a police station.   I am sure not all flat foots have issues with non Thais, but there are enough who do. 

Thailand is a funny place.  It is full of contrasts or obliviousness.  It is hard to tell which. 

• Haha 1

We need to wait for further, more concrete details from the Thai language version of this document.

But this might be of benefit to digital nomads, in that it could make it more easy to be employed by an 'umbrella' company, where that company legally employs a large number of staff who work from locations all over the country - those employees paying legal taxes and obtaining benefits such as social benefit cover.

Umbrella companies already exist in Thailand, but their fees seem much higher than similar companies in eg the EU . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

Could be good news for many.

How long will it take for the awareness?? and knowledge to filter down to people who will be in charge of WP's etc at local levels.

Yeah, and how many dubiously qualified NES teachers with work permits will try to seek employment as engineers?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, and how many dubiously qualified NES teachers with work permits will try to seek employment as engineers?

Or how many "qualified NES English teachers" will seek employment at McDonald's? ?

Whoopy <edited> Do! When forming a company your lawyer covers just about every possible scenario already! Still can't work in the Construction Industry, so we will continue to see sub-standard workmanship performed with manual tools from the 1800s in the hands of complete retards who have never actually seen first hand a "Western Finish" or had any training in their so called "Trade". Houses taking at least twice as long to build, twice the cost they could be and finished to a pathetic standard. It's a <edited> disgrace! I paid near on 100k for my work permit to find out i am not allowed to work in the trade i have spent 30 years perfecting! A country run by complete morons! Don't even get me started on visa runs and immigration!! <edited> Blind leading the Blind! Army have no place in running a country, protecting it yes, but running it??? Oooof!

Edited by blackcab
Removed profanity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1