Is it possible to be ripped off in a 711

georgegeorgia

20 hours ago, taotoo said:

Occasionally they overcharge me, occasionally they undercharge me - I figure it's probably incompetence mostly and evens out over time.

One 7-11 girl could not count the 17 Bt I gave her, she just stood staring at it when I put it in her hand.

I asked her nicely for it back and then counted it out for her, then she gave me a nice big smile, if only I was younger and not married.?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Did you not look at the display on the cash register ?

and always get a receipt,otherwise they could say you

shoplifted the stuff,and you will have no defence.

regards worgeordie

Who could say you shoplifted the stuff? It would only be their word against mine, Oh! wait. This is Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

On the contrary.

Staff have to quite well educated to get a job in 7eleven over here.

Well educated and working for probably less than 500Bt per day? I don't think so.

At least they are working for a living, so good on them, they deserve credit for that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Unless you have proof of that, your statement is a total fabrication and flat out lie..

It does not matter whether it is a banker, officer worker, shop worker or taxi driver etc, there is always a bad apple in every barrel.

Then amongst politicians and policemen there are many.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

It doesn't help that 100's and 1000's are of very similar colour and at quick glance can be easily confused... especially to tourists who haven't been here long. I once made a mistake of giving a street fruit vendor 500 baht instead of the intended 100 baht. It was dark and I wasn't wearing glasses. Quite easily done. Fortunately the lights in 7Eleven are very bright and I always wear glasses now... and I keep the 1000's well separated from the 100's.

If I hand over a 1000 baht note I always concentrate more on the change counting process. In the Philippines all shop assistants say out loud "I received 1000", "I received 500". It's a shame they can't follow this practice here.

I don't agree, that is like someone having to confirm to everyone that they are not going to steal.

No one should ever have to do that.

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Yes you can and I have, by a girl that actually knew my kids and ex wife.....had about 12 items but I always mentally count. She overcharged me by about 150 Baht and didnt offer receipt...straight away I asked for receipt...ooops she had to put everything through the register again and the outcome was then the correct price with a receipt. 7/11 staff are mostly uneducated poor people so certainly candidates for swindling.

The receipt is produced automatically after items are input and the prices all show on the till display that customers can very clearly see and all sales register in their POS system.   You must be saying that "the first time" she didn't use the till, so for 12 items how come you didn't notice that seeing that you always mentally count and, presumably, watch the items being rung up?

Are some people here suggesting that some 7-11 clerks, who know that they are on at least two CCTV cameras 24/7 don't use the cash tills for sales to pocket the money?  How do they total several items surreptitiously without using the till then open the till to give change?

I think it's much more likely that some customers (not referring to you) are much more dopey than they like to admit, can't do mental arithmetic and can't remember exactly what they buy.

Where is your evidence that 7-11staff are "uneducated poor people and certain candidates for being swindlers"?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Yes, it happens, some stores do allow stealing. 2 ways it can happen - you buy something worth 62 baht, you pay with a 1000 baht note but you are handed 38 baht of change, as if you paid with 100 note.  More common is just adding few hundred to your bill. 

Really?   7-11s allow theft by their staff?  Are you nuts?

When you pay in a 7-11 the amount tendered is entered into the POS system and the tendered amount and correct amount of change are shown on the display right in front of your face, so you can see it.  Why would any cashier risk being accused of deliberately short-changing a customer in the manner you describe when everything is monitored by several CCTV cameras?

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I dont bless them. I despise them. They are just thieves and should be in jail, along with all the other crooks, scammers and conmen.

For a hundred baht ?

In a utopian world, people wouldn't have to steal. 

On the grand scale of crimes, it's not a biggy. 

I got ripped off at a 7-11 big time...more than B8000.

I had always paid my electric bill at my local "7" at the end of my soi.  

One day, I was a month behind and it was close to shut off date.  My bill was B8000+ (I had an old, inefficient AC unit at the time)   My usual "7" was closed for renovation so I went to another several blocks away.

I paid cash at the counter. The clerk (ladyboy) rang it up and gave me the receipt and I stuffed it into my pocket, without reading it...

Two days later, power goes off in the middle of the day:  <deleted>?  I go out to where the meters are and sure enough, mine was pulled.   I dug my receipt out and caught a bus that stops near the office of the Electrical Authority.  While on the bus, I checked the receipt....bottom line read: B0000...clerk somehow did not ring in the payment amount and had pocketed the B8000.  Electrical Authority basically said, "Your Problem.

Fortunately for me, a local cop lives in my building and his wife was friendly with my GF.  He accompanied me to the 7-11 and the manager checked his records and found the day I paid the bill had been that clerks last day.  The cop put some pressure on and 7-11 management agreed to review store videos.  Because the transaction time was on the receipt he gave me, it was easy to find.  Amazingly, 7-11 actually refunded me the money.  A warrant was issued for the clerks arrest but I never heard if he was ever caught.

Guys and girls, I know it's hard to think to do, but ALWAYS check your receipts when paying large bills, especially at 3rd party locations.  I was lucky but I'm sure many do get scammed this way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

I agree. I personnaly know several 7/11 staff and they all have university degrees. Not that - that is a pre requiiste for employment it is just a fact that they can't get a job any where else for which ever reason.

I also agree. I live near Thap Sakae in the south of Prachuap KhiriKhan province, and the staff in my local 7/11 are clearly well educated and they speak good English.

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your right, i had a guy called Alain once tell me about that but he was from corsica so it happens everywhere not just Pattaya, can happen in arsenal or scotland ,must admit it was my first time so i guess im a Winner , 

Well, if a guy called Alain said it happens and he was from Corsica it must be true!

20 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Short change scam.
Oldest game in the book.
Here management is usually in on it.

"Here management is usually in on it."  It would be very risky for the manager, just imagine a manager, and say five staff, of maybe two or three of that staff, or maybe them all, and the manager are working together in some scam.

The manager is going to be at the beck and call of these staff. He is not going to have much authority over them, and we all know how much most Thai bosses in all establishments, love their authority.

The 7-11 computerised cheat detection system goes right back to headquarters which means every step is monitored and watched by more than one set of eyes.

In and out stock levels are matched to a point of sale system loaded with error flags that either request further investigation or immediate action.  

Most blatant cheating is done by staff who are about to leave the job and take a risk.

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I have seen one break out the calculator to figure  change of a 40 baht purchase from a 100 baht note.

That's very doubtful, if not unbelievable, as the till does the calculation for the cashier?  Why would she need a calculator?  Oh, yes, in your story she'd need one or you wouldn't have a story.

• Like 2

I swear I was short changed once. I don't know if they did it on purpose or it was a mistake. I went back to the store with my missus but nothing was resolved. Who knows? Maybe I was completely wrong. 

The only other time was when they undercharged me. I bought a sandwich and a ready meal and it came to 26 baht. I asked the lady in Thai "A sandwich and rice meal for 26 baht?". She said yes. I looked at her and saw her trying to process the information. Then I just heard the Windows shut down theme music. Another assistant came along and worked it out very quickly. I paid in full and left. Apart from that, I always find Seven to be one of the most professional businesses here (relatively speaking). 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, andygrr said:

It is of course possible to be short changed anywhere. As for 7/11 staff I have seen that some items are discounted if you buy 2 or more 

it shows up initially at the original price on the till. I have seen staff charging / asking for this amount . Then after you pay they press final total

and only then are the discounts applied. They pocket the difference. Not often but I have seen it.

yes....I think this is common...I have had to signal to them to do the discount at the end..just be one keystroke, but they do see if you are willing to pay the full fare.  Also, it seems like very often the customer screen is off while scanning.  9 times out of ten the mistakes are in their favor..I wasn't born yesterday, and studied accounting a lot, too.  I have also taken them back to the promotion sign in question, many times.  A few times it has expired..still their fault, but even with the language barrier, it is a n error in their favor.  The ones close to the ground are often wrong...guess it is too hard for them to bend over.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't see how they can not ring things up on the til and charge you for it. Don't you look at what is being scanned and what the till says.

I look, many dont. And I have seen it happen with my own eyes several times. I did nothing about it because I paid the correct amount.

The scam is easy and commonplace.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Do not try to twist the facts now.

I was giving you an example of attempt crimes. Just about every crime can be prosecuted in its "attempt" and can result in the same penalty as the crime itself.

By the way, iif you are so sure about you being a victim of attempt theft, why don't you make a police report?

Maybe they can investigate and prevent others from being a victim also. Help out your fellow man .

I'm twisting nothing.

Look up the definition of the word "victim". Then look up the definition of the word "target". You will see that I used them correctly whereas you did not. As for what murder has to do with it, I have no idea.

Why dont I report failed attempts to short-change me? Because there is nothing to report as it didnt happen.  As if Thai police would investigate attempted crimes anyway.

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

The 7-11 computerised cheat detection system goes right back to headquarters which means every step is monitored and watched by more than one set of eyes.

In and out stock levels are matched to a point of sale system loaded with error flags that either request further investigation or immediate action.

The scam I described gets round this. These detection methods are primarily concerned with preventing "shrinkage" and not preventing customer overcharging.

I posted about 2 years ago being overcharged at some 7/11 where no receipt is automatically given. On one occasion I said you not give me a receipt. A red face, give me receipt and had 9 items but only purchased 6. Overcharged 100bht odd.. If you are automically given receipt is always ok. But no receipt and I'm sure they scan some barcodes behind the counter, and after you leave refund those items. Stock inventory is ok, and a tip in their pocket. More recent I always get a receipt. If not chances are a small rip-off. If I stole the amount they rip you off, police will have you in the lockup for theft. It should be two way one thinks.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I have seen one break out the calculator to figure  change of a 40 baht purchase from a 100 baht note.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

That's very doubtful, if not unbelievable, as the till does the calculation for the cashier?  Why would she need a calculator?  Oh, yes, in your story she'd need one or you wouldn't have a story.

Actually they sometimes do use a calculator as a parallel check if they are not sure about the totalling.

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

On the contrary.

Staff have to quite well educated to get a job in 7eleven over here.

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

One needs a degree to work at a 7-11 in Thailand. I rest my case.

I wouldn't get too snitty about the Thai education level. There is a certain saying about some people entering higher education in the UK that 'they go from filling shelves in Sainsburys to filling shelves in Sainsburys in three years'. ?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1