Is it possible to be ripped off in a 711

georgegeorgia

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

A thief is a thief. Scale is neither here nor there.

I notice that,lol  everytime a government official or corporate manager rips off the poor for millions and gets the same 3 year sentence as the one that ripped off the rich for a hundred baht.  

That's the way of the world. 

Your glass house must be very shiny. 

• Like 1

Last month I for the first was not given  50 satangs with my change at Macro Samui, I told the guy in Thai with a big smile, 50 satangs is not important, but maybe I will be happy to have it tomorrow to pay something without me receiving back too much riangs.

Of course, he gave back my 50 satangs with a forced smile. But sometimes ago if I had not been able to say it clearly in Thai, I would probably not have said it in English, rightly or wrongly, because I would have feared to pass for a real stingy for so little, because he could not have understood or misunderstood some speak hardly a word of English. I honestly do not care for 50 satangs but it's a question of principle, he certainly does not do that with any Thai.

So in my humble opinion and contrary to what some say, I find that being able to explain in Thai often facilitates situations. 

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

Last month I for the first was not given  50 satangs with my change at Macro Samui, I told the guy in Thai with a big smile, 50 satangs is not important, but maybe I will be happy to have it tomorrow to pay something without me receiving back too much riangs.

Of course, he gave back my 50 satangs with a forced smile. But sometimes ago if I had not been able to say it clearly in Thai, I would probably not have said it in English, rightly or wrongly, because I would have feared to pass for a real stingy for so little, because he could not have understood or misunderstood some speak hardly a word of English. I honestly do not care for 50 satangs but it's a question of principle, he certainly does not do that with any Thai.

So in my humble opinion and contrary to what some say, I find that being able to explain in Thai often facilitates situations. 

Being stingy in Thai is so much better! ?

That's very doubtful, if not unbelievable, as the till does the calculation for the cashier?  Why would she need a calculator?  Oh, yes, in your story she'd need one or you wouldn't have a story.

A mom and pop store not a 7-11. I’m bad at arithmetic but I can even figure figure change of a 38 baht can of Chang from a Hundred baht note.
I thought Asian kids were good at maths!

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't agree, that is like someone having to confirm to everyone that they are not going to steal.

No one should ever have to do that.

Not at all. It eliminates any confusion on either side. It's quite possible for customers to inadvertently hand over the wrong denomination. It's not going to happen, so don't concern yourself too much. I just thought people might find that little factoid interesting because people have been discussing that very problem here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A mom and pop store not a 7-11. I’m bad at arithmetic but I can even figure figure change of a 38 baht can of Chang from a Hundred baht note.
I thought Asian kids were good at maths!

I think a lot of Asian kids would have trouble calculating 100 - 38. You're from an era where calculators weren't used at school. Asian kids have always had calculators - and now on their phones. I've seen them used for absurd calculations, like 100 - 10.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

For someone who has been here longer it is almost impossible to confuse a 100 and a 1000 (maybe if drunk). I don't think the color is that similar, size is different too.

I specifically mentioned people who haven't been here long... and I disagree... if you mix 100's and 1000's in your wallet, and looking at them sideways, it's easy to grab a 1000 instead of a 100 note... especially if the area is not well lit, like in a bar. I keep them separated in my wallet to avoid that mistake. 50's and 20's are even easier to confuse. Not everyone has 20-20 vision, and most older folk (most of us are) are starting to suffer from night blindness. It happens to everyone eventually (according to my optometrist), so that's something you can look forward to in the future.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

Not at all. It eliminates any confusion on either side. It's quite possible for customers to inadvertently hand over the wrong denomination. It's not going to happen, so don't concern yourself too much. I just thought people might find that little factoid interesting because people have been discussing that very problem here.

I suppose you have a point, but I still think it is demeaning to have to put your hand up and shout to let people know you are not going to cheat.

Don’t ever recall getting ripped off at 7/11.....it probably happens but fortunately it’s not happen to.......

ive been robbed by gun point in the US... karma got the two robbers

1 - died in minutes when leaving the store. Shot by police. 2 - Other one ran but eventually got caught and probably still in prison..

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I suppose you have a point, but I still think it is demeaning to have to put your hand up and shout to let people know you are not going to cheat.

It works both ways .

Someone may hand over a 100 and then claim that it was a 1000 they handed over .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

I specifically mentioned people who haven't been here long... and I disagree... if you mix 100's and 1000's in your wallet, and looking at them sideways, it's easy to grab a 1000 instead of a 100 note... especially if the area is not well lit, like in a bar. I keep them separated in my wallet to avoid that mistake. 50's and 20's are even easier to confuse. Not everyone has 20-20 vision, and most older folk (most of us are) are starting to suffer from night blindness. It happens to everyone eventually (according to my optometrist), so that's something you can look forward to in the future.

Like you i keep them separated, so i don't make that mistake ever. But yes in a bar with bad lightning things are different. I did not think of that as I don't often visit bars.

But around here all the tellers always say rab (insert amount) ma  of how much they received from you. It goes that way everywhere Makro / 711 / Big C. Maybe its different in Pattaya plus you need to know basic Thai. Most people can learn counting in foreign languages. I admit Thai is tricky but basic counting is doable. (not for tourists)

As for eye problems... don't forget i wear glasses and sometimes I have to take them off if i want to read real small letters. 

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I look, many dont. And I have seen it happen with my own eyes several times. I did nothing about it because I paid the correct amount.

The scam is easy and commonplace.

Watch out for the ones who tilt the basket towards them when they are ringing the items up...?

4 hours ago, andygrr said:

It is of course possible to be short changed anywhere. As for 7/11 staff I have seen that some items are discounted if you buy 2 or more 

it shows up initially at the original price on the till. I have seen staff charging / asking for this amount . Then after you pay they press final total

and only then are the discounts applied. They pocket the difference. Not often but I have seen it.

Yep, this is probably the most common move. For example, large water bottles are almost always 2 for 20 baht promotions, but 14 baht if you buy just 1 bottle? about half the time staff pushes the last button on till after you have handed over 28 baht, and the moment you hand it over register will show 20 baht. Do this 30 times every shift and earn nearly daily minimum salary as a bonus.

Someone commented that such small amounts are not worth sweating over, true, amounts are usually tiny but it is the feeling of being taken for a ride, being a mark, so it really depends how one feels about it.

Another thing, it really hurts when this happens out of nowhere, at the place you go very often and where you feel you know staff, and they know you, but every once in a while there is new employee who tries this on. 

People can argue that these are honest mistakes, but how come cashier usually has the EXACT correct amount of change ready in a second, after you protest, no checking bill, not checking the till, money just handed over to you with no eye contact and cashier at next till giving a very quick glance, then immediately back to normal, pretending not to have seen anything. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Like you i keep them separated, so i don't make that mistake ever. But yes in a bar with bad lightning things are different. I did not think of that as I don't often visit bars.

But around here all the tellers always say rab (insert amount) ma  of how much they received from you. It goes that way everywhere Makro / 711 / Big C. Maybe its different in Pattaya plus you need to know basic Thai. Most people can learn counting in foreign languages. I admit Thai is tricky but basic counting is doable. (not for tourists)

As for eye problems... don't forget i wear glasses and sometimes I have to take them off if i want to read real small letters. 

I have never heard them say anything about the note I give them here in Pattaya, but that makes sense as they know most tourists can't understand Thai so why would they bother. I suspect any cheating 7Eleven staff member would find it easier in Pattaya where more people throw around big notes. I can't imagine they would try this with a hard-working Thai customer. I did forget you wear glasses. In my early days here I didn't wear them out, only for reading, so I had to really pay attention when I opened my wallet.

And what would the cash recount have shown if the cashier had put the difference somewhere else (like her pocket) rather than left it in the till?

Under that scenario it would balanace. No system will be 100% fool proof as your example tries to illustrate.. that said, I do think that 7-elevens use of a fully automated register system, combined with - what appears to me to be a pretty common policy/practice of giving you a receipt - is a pretty solid safeguard to most common forms of “cheat”.

But I cede that there can still be ways that a creative, determined cheater could exist...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The scam I described gets round this. These detection methods are primarily concerned with preventing "shrinkage" and not preventing customer overcharging.

Your post 44 suggests missing a scan to later recover cash value via a second purchase.

The only way to go under stock radar is to overcharge and pocket later, no need to miss scans. Missing scans to pocket the value will raise stock flags and lead to CCTV checks on the shift.

Stock monitoring does a lot more than limit shrinkage as the whole system depends on accurate balance to avoid franchisee cheating in the supply chain and use known templates to monitor each outlet. This is all about full control from supply source to customer. 

My information comes directly from close by 7-11 experience not guesswork.

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

For a hundred baht ?

In a utopian world, people wouldn't have to steal. 

On the grand scale of crimes, it's not a biggy. 

What would you do if I lifted your wallet on Beach Rd with exactly 100 baht in it, nothing else, just a 100 baht note, no biggy?

I wonder how you'd react.  What the punishment of my action would be in this country. I predict that if I was busted, and this was posted in Pattaya News section most people would advocate for jail time and deportation. 

This is theft, be 100 baht  or 10 baht. Remember topics about the baht bus fees, and if it is ok to submit to demands of 20 baht, even knowing the correct fare is 10, it isn't the amount, it's how you can live with yourself knowing that you are nothing but a mark, that you can be treated how some scumbag feels like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Stock monitoring does a lot more than limit shrinkage as the whole system depends on accurate balance to avoid franchisee cheating in the supply chain and use known templates to monitor each outlet. This is all about full control from supply source to customer. 

This is all "shrinkage".

8 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Your post 44 suggests missing a scan to later recover cash value via a second purchase.

The only way to go under stock radar is to overcharge and pocket later, no need to miss scans. Missing scans to pocket the value will raise stock flags and lead to CCTV checks on the shift.

No, it wont, as I explained.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

No, it wont, as I explained.

You are clearly confused about stock levels so lets leave it at that as I have no time to make simple diagrams. If you can search and read Thai go to the 7-11 groups and brink yourself up to speed.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:24 PM, Thaiwrath said:

On the contrary.

Staff have to quite well educated to get a job in 7eleven over here.

Even the roadsweepers need BSc. Says a lot for the level of qualification at an executive level, given there is only so much education one can absorb. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Being stingy in Thai is so much better! ?

It as nothing to do with stingy my dear SheungWan, but believe me or not, writing what I wrote I was expecting a kind of comment like your's with absolute certainty on ThaiVisa, I practise it every for six years now :smile:

I said clearly I told the man 50 satangs is less than important but if one has to pay anything with satang having the 25 of 50 or 75 satangs avoid sometimes the rendering of too many coins. Not being capable to said so make all the difference

On the other hand, having a sense of humour I can also admit that your naughty boy's comment was almost inevitable:tongue:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

People can argue that these are honest mistakes, but how come cashier usually has the EXACT correct amount of change ready in a second, after you protest, no checking bill, not checking the till, money just handed over to you with no eye contact and cashier at next till giving a very quick glance, then immediately back to normal, pretending not to have seen anything. 

That's the perfect scam, isn't it? If you don't notice, they win. If you do notice, they make a quick correction and act like it was a mistake - no harm done.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 2:53 PM, baansgr said:

Yes you can and I have, by a girl that actually knew my kids and ex wife.....had about 12 items but I always mentally count. She overcharged me by about 150 Baht and didnt offer receipt...straight away I asked for receipt...ooops she had to put everything through the register again and the outcome was then the correct price with a receipt. 7/11 staff are mostly uneducated poor people so certainly candidates for swindling.

Laughable. "uneducated poor people so certainly candidates for swindling."

I am sooo happy that rich and educated people are not candidates for swindling.

They swindle even more, and when they do so it's not a few hundred Baht only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have never found that offensive in the Philippines and considered it more as something they do to prevent them being accused of stealing if there was an error (for example, people may hand over a 100 and say they handed over 1000)... and as Robblok mentioned above, they do that at many places he frequents in BKK. Of course, they're speaking Thai, so IF they do that, the tourists will be unaware. Maybe they do say it to Thai people (in Pattaya) that hand over 500's or 1000's.

• Like 1