Is it possible to be ripped off in a 711

georgegeorgia

I had a cashier do this to me at Tesco. dropped a hundred in change on the hand back. It was an obvious figure and I add up in head so knew it was wrong. She then gave me a song and dance about had to wait until after the next customer to correct her mistake, huffing like this was all my fault - I had to admire the audacity of the scammer.

I firmly planted myself at register and made them go around me until I got my bill. Did not use that Tesco for some time after that but on trips back have noticed managers monitoring the check out staff, so likely other Thais and westerners had the same problem and complained.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I find that most people who think they have never been cheated simply haven't realised it.

I've had staff try to short-change me in supermarkets, restaurants, and even in banks (putting seven stacks of 100,000B into a paper bag and leaving one at the back of the counter where I couldn't see it). The difference is that I double-check everything so I usually spot the attempts.

Agreed, the odds of not being shorted in 2000 visits is very low. The odds of just not being aware are very high. The odds in 2000 visits being given more change than less is ZERO.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What they do is :-

a) scan the 4 beers and verbally tell you the price for 6. (Of course if you look at the display, the scam fails. "Oops, sorry, mister"). Price of 2 beers is pocketed. Everything balances

b) scan just 1 beer, verbally tell you the price for 6 and after you have left scan in 3 more. Price of 2 beers is pocketed. Everything balances, till, inventory, all good.

c) simply short-change you 100 Baht e.g. price is 152 Baht, change given is 748 Baht. 100 Baht is pocketed. Everything balances.

I would say having made purchases at Thai 7-11's about a million times, I can only recall an attempted scam once. There may have been others. The attempted scam was type 'c'. The 100 Baht was immediately refunded, like within one second, confirming it was an attempted scam.

1;1,000,000 REALLY?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Agreed, the odds of not being shorted in 2000 visits is very low. The odds of just not being aware are very high. The odds in 2000 visits being given more change than less is ZERO.

It isn't zero but its rare

I noticed once I bought 8 bottles of wine and they only scanned 7 for some reason

It is of course possible to be short changed anywhere. As for 7/11 staff I have seen that some items are discounted if you buy 2 or more 

it shows up initially at the original price on the till. I have seen staff charging / asking for this amount . Then after you pay they press final total

and only then are the discounts applied. They pocket the difference. Not often but I have seen it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Only happened to me once.

An employee who was WAY too pretty to be working there distracted me as her male counterpart handed me my change. I got home and found it 100 baht short. Never again, though it was damn near worth it. She was HOT!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you think about it, its only the change they can mess around with, everything is scanned in at 7/11. If you put 4 beers on the counter and they scan a couple of them twice, and make it 6 beers, that extra money needs to be in the till at the end of shift.

They certainly dont always scan all items in all 7/11s. I've seen it happen often.

And in the case that you describe, they only need to wait until some other person buys the same beer and

"forget" to scan it. Put that money in the till and they have a balanced till, and balanced stock, and money in their pocket from the original sale. They can perform this scam either before or after the scanned sale as long as they pick common items, as they have their entire shift to make it balance.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like you are constantly being a victim this. I wonder why that is?

You miss the point. I am a target but hardly ever a victim. Why? Because I am a lot smarter than they are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I also rarely use 7/11s. Usually only for some milk, or a single bottle of water or beer if I fancy drinking one at that moment. All my normal weekly shopping is done at big supermarkets which of course are much cheaper than convenience stores.

And I readily admit that my experience outside of where I live is very limited. Maybe they are better elsewhere. Maybe not. I dont know and I'm not likely to find out any time soon because that's not where I live.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have seen them make honest mistakes, paranoid people would always call that cheating.

Hard to see how failing to ring things up but still charging for them can be called an "honest mistake".

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You miss the point. I am a target but hardly ever a victim. Why? Because I am a lot smarter than they are.

No, you do not understand.

According to your cooments, you are the victim of attempt theft.

Attempt murder

Attempt robbery

Attempt theft.

All crimes.

So whether you figure it out prior to completion or not, according to you, you are a victim of their attempt theft.

Edited by bkk6060

Only happened to me once.

An employee who was WAY too pretty to be working there distracted me as her male counterpart handed me my change. I got home and found it 100 baht short. Never again, though it was damn near worth it. She was HOT!!!

I know the one you mean !!
I go there often, it’s costing me a fortune !! [emoji6]
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They certainly dont always scan all items in all 7/11s. I've seen it happen often.

And in the case that you describe, they only need to wait until some other person buys the same beer and

"forget" to scan it. Put that money in the till and they have a balanced till, and balanced stock, and money in their pocket from the original sale. They can perform this scam either before or after the scanned sale as long as they pick common items, as they have their entire shift to make it balance.

I'm not following, if they dont scan and therefore dont charge the 2nd customer, how have they balanced anything. They are not going to let the 2nd customer walk out with beers they havnt paid for. if they dont scan it, why is the customer paying, the screen would show an amount that doesnt include the the beers, that were not scanned.

There is only 2 ways they can scam you, ask for more money than the items scanned (and displayed on screen), or give less change. 

If they scan less than what you put on the counter, the total is less and you walk out with free goods. If they scan more than you put on the counter, the total will be more and the amount will match what was scanned. You paid for goods you didnt get but the cashier didnt make any money from the extra goods scanned.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

Some years back I gave 20'000 Baht to transfer to my Citibank card at a 7/11 in Pattaya on Soi Boonsampan and only after I returned back home and checked the receipt, I found out the cashier had given me one for 2'000 Baht. Most probably not on purpose, but it happened. Not amusing for the customer.

Edited by Dario
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Seven-eleven employees are drawn from the general population; if you trust the Thai's in general then don't worry about checking your change.  I always check my change. One time I paid with a 1,000 baht bill; clerk rang it up as paying with a 900 baht bill, gave me back the change that showed up on the till; yep, a hundred short.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Hard to see how failing to ring things up but still charging for them can be called an "honest mistake".

I don't see how they can not ring things up on the til and charge you for it. Don't you look at what is being scanned and what the till says. Maybe if they want to scan they scan extra things and later credit them. But otherwise it would be a dumb scam.. i mean why would you pay something different then what is displayed at the screen.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

?

Do not try to twist the facts now.

I was giving you an example of attempt crimes. Just about every crime can be prosecuted in its "attempt" and can result in the same penalty as the crime itself.

By the way, iif you are so sure about you being a victim of attempt theft, why don't you make a police report?

Maybe they can investigate and prevent others from being a victim also. Help out your fellow man .

• Like 1