Is it possible to be ripped off in a 711

georgegeorgia

All these years coming to Pattaya I have never been overcharged in a 711, well not to my knowledge anyway.

today i had my mind on something else and i didnt think to roughly add things up before i brought them to the counter.

my fault i need to be switched on.

so the nice girl adds things up to be 467b and i pay,when i got back to the room i realised most things i bought were about 25b etc and total added it up to around 300 baht or less

Silly me didnt ask nor was i offered a receipt.

Now i know u can be ripped off any 711in the World not just Pattaya but the question is , is it possible?

say the clerk scans the item twice ,it comes up on the computer to pay, how would the store clerk keep the money,would they have to delete the items they scanned me for,is that possible?

Im asking if its possible in a 711 because im sure 711 have systems in place to know if there employees are continually deleting purchased items ,msybe thats not how they do it.

Edited by georgegeorgia

Yes, it happens, some stores do allow stealing. 2 ways it can happen - you buy something worth 62 baht, you pay with a 1000 baht note but you are handed 38 baht of change, as if you paid with 100 note.  More common is just adding few hundred to your bill. It is always same stores through the years, and in some stores it never happens, so it can`t be just a clerk trying to it once, it is management as well. But it rarely happens, and it has never even once happened in Bangkok. It has never been an honest error in my experience since I have never been giving more change. Several years the same clerk tried it few times in one week, and every time she became  very upset when I smiled and showed her the change in my hand and asked what is this, so just stopped going to that store.

• Confused 1

I have only had this happen two times... and each time it was handled the same way.

The registers have an internal accounting - such that at any given moment, the register can print a report (on receipt thermal paper) and show on screen, exactly how much cash should be in the register. Every time a cashier does a “drop” like large B1,000 notes, the register accounts for this.. just like when they get cash from the safe as well.

So, when I said that I had been shorted X baht, the lead cashier pulled the accounting tape from the regifter and did a manual hard count of the cash in hand.

Each time the girls cash recount was spot on and when compared to the register tape report, reflected that I had indeed been shorted (one time it was by 20 baht and the second time, by 30 baht). Each time they were polite and apologetic and gave me the correct change.

An annoyance for sure, but given the reporting and ability to have real-time verified balances, I’d say the odds that any “on book” transaction was anything less than above-board, would be slim... it would be if something was paid for “off book” or without receipt, that is where I think this issue would pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it happens, some stores do allow stealing. 2 ways it can happen - you buy something worth 62 baht, you pay with a 1000 baht note but you are handed 38 baht of change, as if you paid with 100 note.  More common is just adding few hundred to your bill. It is always same stores through the years, and in some stores it never happens, so it can`t be just a clerk trying to it once, it is management as well. But it rarely happens, and it has never even once happened in Bangkok. It has never been an honest error in my experience since I have never been giving more change. Several years the same clerk tried it few times in one week, and every time she became  very upset when I smiled and showed her the change in my hand and asked what is this, so just stopped going to that store.

Of course. Then when you say you payed with 1000 they just go “so sorry”. This happens dozens of times a day. The OP is taking about Pattaya, some Farings come in drunk at don’t notice the fleecing. Of course management is in on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, new2here said:

So, when I said that I had been shorted X baht, the lead cashier pulled the accounting tape from the regifter and did a manual hard count of the cash in hand.

Each time the girls cash recount was spot on and when compared to the register tape report, reflected that I had indeed been shorted (one time it was by 20 baht and the second time, by 30 baht).

And what would the cash recount have shown if the cashier had put the difference somewhere else (like her pocket) rather than left it in the till?

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

so the nice girl adds things up to be 467b and i pay,when i got back to the room i realised most things i bought were about 25b etc and total added it up to around 300 baht or less

Silly me didnt ask nor was i offered a receipt.

What do you mean by "the girl added it up"? Tills do the addition, not the staff.

• Like 1

Jeez Georgie, if that amount of money is a concern, don't ever go out bar hopping, you can lose that much buying one drink. As you implied, paying attention may have prevented the situation. Don't know how they would do it though.

Edited by Catkiwi
spelling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

On the contrary.

Staff have to quite well educated to get a job in 7eleven over here.

I agree. I personnaly know several 7/11 staff and they all have university degrees. Not that - that is a pre requiiste for employment it is just a fact that they can't get a job any where else for which ever reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Your right, i had a guy called Alain once tell me about that but he was from corsica so it happens everywhere not just Pattaya, can happen in arsenal or scotland ,must admit it was my first time so i guess im a Winner , 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Happened twice to me at 7-11 . Girl claimed I gave her 100 when I gave her a 1000. Raised enough hell the manager went to CVCC and not only saw I gave here a 1000 but also her stuffing it in her pocket. Manager said she would fire her but still there. Never any remorse just anger she got caught and lost face. I think it happens allot, especially farang.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Girl claimed I gave her 100 when I gave her a 1000. Raised enough hell the manager went to CVCC and not only saw I gave here a 1000 but also her stuffing it in her pocket. Manager said she would fire her but still there. Never any remorse just anger she got caught and lost face. I think it happens allot, especially farang.

You are correct. It happens a huge amount here and even when caught out the thieves are rarely punished. Staff in my building stole hundreds of thousands, but the whole thing was hushed up because to prosecute the staff would have meant management admitting that they weren't doing their job (checking the accounts). The manager probably got a cut too.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Happened twice to me at 7-11 . Girl claimed I gave her 100 when I gave her a 1000. Raised enough hell the manager went to CVCC and not only saw I gave here a 1000 but also her stuffing it in her pocket. Manager said she would fire her but still there. Never any remorse just anger she got caught and lost face. I think it happens allot, especially farang.

It doesn't help that 100's and 1000's are of very similar colour and at quick glance can be easily confused... especially to tourists who haven't been here long. I once made a mistake of giving a street fruit vendor 500 baht instead of the intended 100 baht. It was dark and I wasn't wearing glasses. Quite easily done. Fortunately the lights in 7Eleven are very bright and I always wear glasses now... and I keep the 1000's well separated from the 100's.

If I hand over a 1000 baht note I always concentrate more on the change counting process. In the Philippines all shop assistants say out loud "I received 1000", "I received 500". It's a shame they can't follow this practice here.

Edited by tropo

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Unless you have proof of that, your statement is a total fabrication and flat out lie..

You must be very naive. Can't be done in a 7/11 (Cameras/reg tapes) without management to fend off the complaints.

The short change scam works both ways. Teams often target shops to cheat them

https://bizfluent.com/how-2124296-spot-quick-change-scams.html

If you go to Japan or Korea the cashiers put the cash bill on the register with a magnet until transaction is complete to deter these grifters 

8 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Happened me in a  maxvalue in bkk on Saturday night, I know she knew she was cheating because she gave me the additional money so quickly and took my receipt back and crumpled it up and threw it in the bin 

5 hours ago, tropo said:

It doesn't help that 100's and 1000's are of very similar colour and at quick glance can be easily confused... especially to tourists who haven't been here long. I once made a mistake of giving a street fruit vendor 500 baht instead of the intended 100 baht. It was dark and I wasn't wearing glasses. Quite easily done. Fortunately the lights in 7Eleven are very bright and I always wear glasses now... and I keep the 1000's well separated from the 100's.

If I hand over a 1000 baht note I always concentrate more on the change counting process. In the Philippines all shop assistants say out loud "I received 1000", "I received 500". It's a shame they can't follow this practice here.

Or you can Hold the bill up and say 500, ha roi, nung paan, or whatever..usually I pay with the 7/11 eMoney card.

It is more about how one carries oneself. Thais are uncomfortable with eye contact. Give the shopgirl a brief, but cold and penetrating stare and they won't dare to cheat you. A farang stumbling in drunk and distracted is an easy mark.

• Like 1

If this is the 7/11 near the McDonald's that is  across from the CK Hotel, then Yes, they are cheating you. I used to stop in there after drinking to pick up beer and snacks for home.You buy 4 beers; they charge for six, for example.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1