Feeling spurned, Khaosan sellers to march on city hall

snoop1130

4 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Khaosan Sellers occupy illegally public ground and feel spurned......Thai logic.

There will probably be a well known establishment who are going to be missing their brown envelopes.:cheesy:

• Thanks 1

If they really do want to clean up Khaosan Road then they should try to maintain as much of it's character as possible.

That means keeping the street food vendors and stalls, but booting out the tuktuk and taxi mafia scumbags.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I do not blame these vendors for feeling spurned. Khaosan Road is a walking street after dark, and these people

are only trying to make a living.

I am the first person to have a go at vendors blocking the pavement and forcing foot traffic on to the road like they used to do at Lower Sukhumvit, odd Soi's.

I cannot see any excuse for the authorities to stop these vendors wanting to ply there trade in Khaosan Road.

I suspect it's just Step 1 of a more elaborate plan to rent more space in buildings belonging to well connected landlords.  When they cleaned up Khlong Thom market and tore down the Sapan Lek Market in Chinatown, the perpetually vacant spaces in many of the local buildings started filling up with rent-paying vendors who used to ply their wares in the street markets. 

While Sapan Lek was a virtual death trap if there had been a fire, I miss it- along with the vibrant street markets that are now just a shadow of what they used to be.  Not to mention losing track of my favorite places to buy a lot of the tools and components I need.  Shopping online just isn't the same.  And tracking them down is pretty much impossible in all the nooks and crannies that are now occupied.  It would take years to find a lot of them, and they'd probably move 2-3 times while I was looking.

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

I suspect it's just Step 1 of a more elaborate plan to rent more space in buildings belonging to well connected landlords.  When they cleaned up Khlong Thom market and tore down the Sapan Lek Market in Chinatown, the perpetually vacant spaces in many of the local buildings started filling up with rent-paying vendors who used to ply their wares in the street markets. 

While Sapan Lek was a virtual death trap if there had been a fire, I miss it- along with the vibrant street markets that are now just a shadow of what they used to be.  Not to mention losing track of my favorite places to buy a lot of the tools and components I need.  Shopping online just isn't the same.  And tracking them down is pretty much impossible in all the nooks and crannies that are now occupied.  It would take years to find a lot of them, and they'd probably move 2-3 times while I was looking.

Yes, you make good points here, but I think it is wrong, the well connected landlords will get richer while the vendors will lose part, if not all their livelyhood. It is a capitalist world now and money always wins.

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I was in Khaosan Road a week ago during the afternoon and the only access problems that may have existed were caused by tuktuks blocking each end of the road! The street stalls were orderly, not doing a huge amount of trade,  and the only annoyances were from the mainly Indian fake IDsellers and tailors.

Why can't they just leave these things alone? 

Yes I was there last and all I could think of- did someone move F**ken India

Sorry seen it all before .I  was in Singapore for three years late sixties early seventies. Fantastic time. Lee Kwan yu had only just started his clean up programme. But he eventually sanitised it and got rid of any culture. Yes it is a really Important money trade route, but culturally dead of no interest outside that which you can find any where in the western world they had a world famous area called Bugis St. A bit like a little Pattaya. It was the place for all tourists to visit but they moved all the food stalls to nice set locations and guess what there was no central point for people to go to for a known good night out any more, people went to the fourwinds . Bugis street would not keep the most stupid smiling for ten minutes . The khao san of the Future.. Atmosphere is everything

On 8/1/2018 at 5:19 AM, Italian guy said:

Okay, let accidents happen and people die so that you can maintain your ****** livelihood. Then, go pray at the temple to make merit...

Similar thoughts to you. A gas powered stall flares up and sets fire to a few close by.

Next day headlines.

Fire Department could help poor stall holders.

• Like 1

Bangkok is (was) known world over for its street vendors and street food which is sadly a way of life this government seems intent on eliminating.

I suspect an army of police and government spies will be there to stop this protest but I hope they manage to get it done.

Okay, let accidents happen and people die so that you can maintain your ****** livelihood. Then, go pray at the temple to make merit...

I know I have seen dumber posts I just can’t remember when.

• Like 1

Biggest risk of accidents in Thailand is due to regular road traffic. I don't recall hearing of anyone run over by a vendor cart. 

On 8/5/2018 at 7:54 AM, lamyai3 said:

Biggest risk of accidents in Thailand is due to regular road traffic. I don't recall hearing of anyone run over by a vendor cart. 

You seem to be one of those who skip reading the article altogether and jump to comments. If not, your reading comprehension is at the level of a Thai third grader...

The problem is that the hundreds of carts don't leave space to emergency vehicles in case of need. You're enjoying your beer when suddenly there is an explosion and a fire. You and others are hurt and unable to escape. You could have been rescued but unfortunately the rescue vehicles were unable to reach you because of the blockage caused by too many street vendors. Result: you die! 

Do you understand the problem now? Wake up!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Italian guy said:

You seem to be one of those who skip reading the article altogether and jump to comments. If not, your reading comprehension is at the level of a Thai third grader...

The problem is that the hundreds of carts don't leave space to emergency vehicles in case of need. You're enjoying your beer when suddenly there is an explosion and a fire. You and others are hurt and unable to escape. You could have been rescued but unfortunately the rescue vehicles were unable to reach you because of the blockage caused by too many street vendors. Result: you die! 

Do you understand the problem now? Wake up!!!

Excuse me? You sound like someone who has pretty much zero familiarity with the city, let alone the district in question. Have you ever seen emergency vehicles attempting and failing to get down a street that's clogged with regular traffic? Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, how quickly and easily vendor carts on wheels can mobilise and get out of the way? They'd be able to clear access before the emergency vehicles are even in striking distance at the top of the street, I've seen it happen. They're also very good at moving their carts quickly when corrupt cops show up. The authorities' lame excuse of emergency vehicle access is just a whitewash, it'd be obvious to anyone who lives here and sees how things actually operate. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, lamyai3 said:

it'd be obvious to anyone who lives here

I've been living and working here for over 10 years and I drive a car in Bangkok for at least 3 hours a day every f*****g day! Discussing with you is a total waste of time... Have a good life. 

15 minutes ago, Italian guy said:

I've been living and working here for over 10 years and I drive a car in Bangkok for at least 3 hours a day every f*****g day!

Well then, for at least three hours a day you're part of the problem. The last thing Bangkok needs is more traffic clogging up it's roads... areas like Khaosan provided a welcome change in a city that's crying out for more pedestrianised areas. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 8:26 PM, lamyai3 said:

Well then, for at least three hours a day you're part of the problem.

That's what commuters have to do when there is no better alternative for travelling from home to work and back. As soon as the new extension of the BTS will reach my area (2021) I'll cease to be part of the problem. Cheers.