Turned away at Bangkok airport

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:
On 8/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, elviajero said:

They don't need evidence. The fact that someone has lived a long time in the country without providing immigration or consulates proof of their "appropriate" means of living/financial standing means they can be denied. No country is going to allow visitors to waive bank statements at a border IO to satisfy their financial standing!

Consulates accept bank-statements (foreign or Thai) to issue visas for many visa-types.  But, if this is not sufficient, exactly what evidence what is needed simply needs to be defined.  An embassy income-letter (MFA stamped, so clearly not fraudulent) or proof of money "in the bank" from a Thai bank-book, as is used for immigration-issued extensions?  Many would happily oblige.

When you apply for a SETV you are applying for a visa that gives you up to 60 days in the country, The 'evidence' they require for that is simply the 20K ("pocket money") requirement under section 12.9. Defined on consular websites and by the MFA.

It's possible to stay in Thailand for one year with 4 back to back SETV's and only have to prove you have 80K (20K if you use the same bank statement). Do you think someone could live off of 80K for 1 year?

You will remember that they introduced the METV a couple of years ago, and because it allows multiple entries for 6 months you are required to evidence at least 200K baht in the bank. An 'appropriate means of living'?

Until you accept that, within the visa system, a SETV and the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme are meant to be used for one off/occasional holidays this debate will never end. You do not need to evidence your means of living when applying for a SETV because you are not supposed to be staying long.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:16 PM, tifino said:

they'd want you have the cash in pocket, because it is the easiest thing to take from you, on the spot

but it's a bit rude, as it costs one to cop the extra ATM transaction fees, for no good reason!

I'm thinking that one could, on the spot; log in to one's online bank account, and display Statement Standing, and Transaction History; which would reveal consistent Income deposits etc

Then reach deeper into one's bag, and come out with a home country Gov't letter; which details one is on a lifetime Gov't Veterans Pension...a Lifetime Income

I could create an app for that... here look at my phone, I have 3 billion dollars in my bank account ?

On 7/31/2018 at 3:54 PM, Briggsy said:

Exacerbating Factors :

1. Lots of previous tourist visas and visa exempts

2. Full-ish passport

3. Flying in to Bangkok from nearby countries (Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar, HK, Singapore)

4. No visa i.e. attempting a visa exempt entry.

5. Quick turnarounds e.g. flying to Malaysia and coming back the same day.

Solutions to reduce the probability of denial of entry for tourist visa holders :

1. Renew passport more frequently than is strictly required. A passport renewal costs less than being bounced back to Phnom Penh incurring all those extra costs.

2. Always have a tourist visa, at the very least.

3. Avoid flying in to Bangkok from nearby countries. Use land borders if possible.

4. Avoid out-ins by plane. Do them at land borders but not Poi Pet.

5. Choose a male Immigration Officer if possible.

6. Have a flight ticket out if possible.

7. Carry 20,000 Baht or equivalent in cash. This no longer seems to work though.

8. Spend some time outside Thailand in other countries.

I have to say, I well agree with number 5. 

When I come to thailand, I will stand in the 2 hour cue for a male officer over the half hour cue with a female. 

I find that whenever I have any official problem in Thailand,  the males are much easier to con. 

Maybe this has been mentioned before. But why not buy an onward ticket there on the spot? Buy with a U.S website and you have 24 hours free cancellation. I'm an EU citizen and the immigration officer was fine with a flight to U.S. He even opened a hot spot on his iphone for me to buy it with. 

On 8/6/2018 at 7:17 AM, greenchair said:

When I come to thailand, I will stand in the 2 hour cue for a male officer over the half hour cue with a female. 

I find that whenever I have any official problem in Thailand,  the males are much easier to con. 

I find the opposite the females are always much much easier when I am coming in compared with the males.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:
On 8/6/2018 at 7:17 AM, greenchair said:

I find the opposite the females are always much much easier when I am coming in compared with the males.

I agree with you.  I'd rather have a woman who will respond to a smile and 'Sawadee Krup' than some grumpy bloke.

• Haha 1