BBC says Thailand asks UK to extradite Yingluck

webfact

Like spoiled children demanding candy at all hours of the day.   The Thai elite and its delusions of grandeur.    Too bad the elites do not take pride a modern, participatory government.   They think money and total control are valued everywhere.   This move just removes all doubt of their stupidity and arrogance . 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

UK will never extradite her because they don't believe in thai justice system. The so called justice by the people who did a bigger crime: Coup d'état. 

Never say Never!!

She & Bro were found guilty by legitimate Thai Federal Courts, nought to do with current or prior Gov'ts, other than conducting investigations & prosecutions. 

Ohh, understand Coup was officially supported by highest level!!  ...

Sounds like you think the "Puppet" & "Puppeteer" are beyond normal justice?? 

10 hours ago, Morakot said:

Analysis: They are following the logic of the treaty and pursuing all technical options. This is complemented with a good-will gesture. Interpretation: It results in a situation --on the surface-- that they cannot be accused of not having done "everything" possible.

Yes, standard procedure, unless of course it's a European Arrest Warrant.

Placing the request of strict confidentiality at the end of the letter --on page two-- is  diplomatic code for "circulate at your discretion".

Yes minister.

16 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

The UK will (correctly) consider it a "political crime", and will refuse to extradite.  Thailand knows this, but has to put on the show.  
In all seriousness, the LAST thing this illegal government was is her in jail.  They seriously hope they never see her again.  

Outcome will almost certainly be exactly that but it will incorrectly be justified as being for political [right of] asylum. If this were taken to legal lengths then the UK would not be able to justify the grounds, but who is going to do that? The EU (while we are still members) could rightly bring it up but they won't because it's not in their interest to do so, for business interests alone. To claim political crime would be a disaster if it went anywhere legal because the numbers etc. (evidence) would prove incompetence by the British government while asylum is fear based and to a large extent subjective, and easier to defend. 

It's all laughable insofar that 'face' is such a huge part of Thai culture with complaints issued for a myriad of comments/action that tarnish the country such as a singer saying she was looking forward to buying a fake Rolex or something yet care nothing that the whole world sees them as being totally disinterested in justice. A long passed away friend once told me that the only difference between the two opposing sides is that while both will rob you, the yellow shirts will leave you enough rice for breakfast. They are all the same to a massive extent and do little more than take turns, as a group, at the trough.

pigs_trough.jpg.6dcd64c5353f1e9065f3059582e193ed.jpg

18 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Not withstanding she was granted a 10 yr visa by UK only in May .. And how much are they prepared to put out , legal fee's in Brit' land are withering for this sort of scrap ..

I would say the uk is just as corrupt as any other place . money talks BS walks  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, evadgib said:

What passport is she currently using & why not bag ol' square head too?

I take it you're referring to another of this country's democratically elected PMs. I think this "Govt" will have a long wait for any democratic country to return them.

17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I have no idea how one country places an extradition request to another country. I would expect there to be a fairly well-defined legal process. Something about this makes me think this is not a bona fide extradition request. Usually legal documents are not posted into press headlines.

It strikes me that it is possible that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been instructed to do something by ?? Prime Minister's Office ?? and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is now pretending to follow its instructions but without any real intent. This could be because they know there is no chance of success, they don't want to waste hundreds of thousands on pricey UK barristers, they know their superiors change their mind on a daily basis, they don't want to make powerful enemies, etc. It seems like a show for the public rather than reality.

Many countries have refused to recognize governments of countries created by coups.  So to speak to your point, is the current Thai "government" fully legitimate and recognized by the UK?  A a coup happened and they just took over. 

18 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

UK will never extradite her because they don't believe in thai justice system. The so called justice by the people who did a bigger crime: Coup d'état. 

The fault is great in man or woman
Who steals a goose from off the common
But what can plead that man's excuse
Who steals the common from the goose

--17th century British Union song - and oh so appropriate in this instance :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

18 hours ago, BestB said:

I am guessing Thai , letter states Thai citizen 

Being a Thai citizen doesn’t mean she’s there on a Thai passport. Thailand revoked her Thai passports last year. She probably has same as Thaksin, or from some middle eastern country she’s never been to...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Whitehall stands to lose more if not comply.?Reasons r obvious?

Not to me I'm afraid, nor possibly to quite a lot of other people. 

I wonder - could you explain why please?

2 minutes ago, dragons70 said:

Being a Thai citizen doesn’t mean she’s there on a Thai passport. Thailand revoked her Thai passports last year. She probably has same as Thaksin, or from some middle eastern country she’s never been to...

It makes no difference what passport she is on when she is still a Thai citizen.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Siam, eh?  George V had just become King and WW1 was just three years away.

Yes, the world has moved on quite significantly hasn't it.? 

However, I'm not so sure that the cabal which seeks to rule Thailand, either in front or behind the scenes have. In fact I rather suspect that they privately hanker after " Siam" and all the name represents... 

• Like 2

One question is whether the British Govt wants to deal with a military dictatorship and arrest a democratically elected politician knowing the court reached a verdict it was told to reach (presumably). One reason the brother and sister have been free to travel is that the Thais have not requested extradition. The second question is, if returned to Thailand, what crisis will it spark? Or perhaps this is an attempt to say 'we tried, but the British refused'.

• Like 1

Sure but a few conditions?  

1/ democracy - free and fair

2/ no political judges and courts

3/ implement a jury system

4/ arrest those that took over illegally

5/ overturn the amnesty for the Junta law breakers

6/ no unelected clowns posing as 'senators' 

Then we might consider it. Oh by the way... implement parliamentary privilege like every other developed country. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Is she in london possible,or the middle east.they have a reason to make it offical now why has the uk given her a 10 year visa.will be interesting to see what happens next

What is more interesting is that request sent just shortly after PM visit to UK?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, the world has moved on quite significantly hasn't it.? 

However, I'm not so sure that the cabal which seeks to rule Thailand, either in front or behind the scenes have. In fact I rather suspect that they privately hanker after " Siam" and all the name represents... 

If they change back to Siam then they cannot claim that Thailand has never been conquered? :thumbsup: :smile: