Window/Balcony plants...do you grow them?

InterestedSugoya

Yes I do and successful.
Plumeria (Leelawadee) in a big pot, Bougainvillea (Flueng Faa), some hanging daisies, cacti, air plants and orchids hanging on a frame that I built from blue pipe and put the plastic mesh inside.
Orchids and hanging plants don't like full sun.
Plumeria often has mites and thrips and need to be sprayed.
Bougainvillea is very thankful and always flowering.

• Like 1

If you keep it dry without any standing water you won't have much problems with mosquito.
If there seems to be a infestation I light a mosquito coil occasionally with closed balcony door.

• Like 1

I grow Italian basil in pots on my balcony, for cooking. It tastes quite different to Thai basil, though I use various Thai basils also depending on the dishes I'm making. You cant beat it fresh.

I also grow bougainvillea as mentioned, and I keep looking for a nice double oleander to take a cutting from as I know they would do well here. Trouble is, they always seem to be planted in the divider section of dual-carriageways and I dont fancy running across the traffic with a knife to get a small branch. Oleander cuttings root very easily.

• Like 2

I'm fortunate to have 2 balconies, one facing S.East,  and one S. West so both get sun and shade at different times of day.  I've had good luck with potted cherry tomatoes on the SE facing balcony but little luck with full sized varieties.

Chili peppers also grow well but over-watering kills peppers quickly so when heavy rains come, I have to make sure they are sheltered. 

I have both Thai and sweet basil, coriander (pak-chi)  mint and rosemary plants.  I'd like to grow sage. Has anybody seen established potted sage at Chatuchak?

All the above are potted plants originally purchased from a nearby garden shop, farmers market and a local cart vendor.

I've tried growing from seed but never with any success.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 3:09 AM, CLW said:

If you keep it dry without any standing water you won't have much problems with mosquito.
If there seems to be a infestation I light a mosquito coil occasionally with closed balcony door.

Many years ago when I first visited Thailand, I lit a mosquito coil or 2 in my room at the Miami Hotel. I was woozy.

Anyway...if I can buy 1 or 2 lemongrass plants from a local market and keep them from dying, that would be ideal.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 10:47 AM, dotpoom said:

Sure do...No idea their names and couldn't care less.

"Why"....to have a little bit of green in my eye first thing in the morning (but not enough to play golf on)...555

same same....i have no problem with mosquitos, even with water in trays....

i set up an automatic timer, for watering, when away.

biggest problem with plants, is the ongoing leaves blowing inside the condo...im level 24 cnr unit..