What kind of bird is this that flew into my window?

I will go with a juvenile shikra. I am not 100% confident. Your location within Thailand would help. Also your proximity to jungle would assist.

A shikra is an accipiter. If you are from the UK, you'll know the sparrowhawk, which is the common accipiter there.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I will go with a juvenile shikra. I am not 100% confident. Your location within Thailand would help. Also your proximity to jungle would assist.

the dimensions of the beak and eyes (shape and angles) appear to differ a little...

If you are happy to say, which province in Thailand is this and how far are you from jungle? (The crested goshawk is not going to stray too far from jungle. It is not really found in towns or agricultural land away from its natural habitat.)

I don't think it is a Blyth's hawk-eagle. It doesn't have an obvious crest. The uppertail has the wrong pattern. It is too small. It lacks obvious belly barring. I think a crested goshawk is more likely.

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Can nobody see,this bird has a broken leg,and a one legged bird

especially a raptor is not going to survive long in the wild,

caught in a trap maybe ? a shame.

regards Worgeordie

I think you may be looking at the second photo which is just a photo for comparison from Tifino. The original bird is in the first photo.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I think you may be looking at the second photo which is just a photo for comparison from Tifino. The original bird is in the first photo.

I should have gone to "Spec Savers" .

regards worgeordie

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

A shikra is an accipiter. If you are from the UK, you'll know the sparrowhawk, which is the common accipiter there.

Accipiters (hawks) have yellow  eyes. Falcons have brown eyes. This appears to be a falcon. Eastern Marsh Harrier might be close - common winter visitor.