Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

But as a 30ish do you feel content and comfortable working in VietNam?

Are you given room for taking responsibility/making decisions and evolving yourself workwise?

Me;

when stopping working I sat down and did a lot of thinking;

where to spend the next 10 or so years

in home country (I have a fantastic seaside home)

in LoS

somewhere else?

number 1) I concluded to go abroad

then where?

after some further consideration narrowed it down to LoS and PI

ended up with LoS, mostly due to being lazy I think

before I had been travelling to LoS 3-5 times a year for 30 years (business)

I know Bangkok very well, could speak some Thai (ok in taxi, restaurant, hotel etc)

guess that is why I landed on LoS

guess I should have picked PI instead,

but still; am quite comfortable here (knew what I was going to)

Reasonably comfortable.  It's not unusual to work remotely in my industry, and my company has departments spread around North America.  I've even been promoted since I left the homeland.  I think that's starting to slowly become more common, if the current trends continue.  But I also realize I'm lucky, because it's not common yet.

I've visited Philippines, and I expect to take more vacations there.  I've only been in Manila and another secluded island, so I can't speak for the country.  But the crime of Manila is too much for me to ever settle there.  The island I visited had third-rate Internet.  On my next trip there I'll try somewhere else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

Pretty simple, because they have been living the dream for many years, 1 month millionaires at the time.

Once they are settled they will learn the real Thai life/attitude.

AND........where would you choose to retire ?   

4 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

If they did not return home, where did they go.  Any informed opinion on a more suitable SE Asian country to settle In? 

It all depends on your criteria.  Someone interested in good infrastructure might pick a different place then someone interested in pay-for-play women, and they both might pick somewhere different than someone who wants permanent residency in 3-5 years.

Vietnam and Taiwan are both near the top of my list, for different reasons.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

This is true. What is funny though is that those cheaper Indians and Filipinos and Thais are generally not equal to Westerners. I know it sounds arrogant but it's true in my view. 

But, what many expats never realized until late is that Thais don't care about quality or excellence. They are happy with "good enough", so there really is no motivation to pay for quality people. The entire country is built around incompetence and mediocrity. No place for talented people. 

Without going so far as your good self I agree.

52 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

This is true. What is funny though is that those cheaper Indians and Filipinos and Thais are generally not equal to Westerners. I know it sounds arrogant but it's true in my view. 

But, what many expats never realized until late is that Thais don't care about quality or excellence. They are happy with "good enough", so there really is no motivation to pay for quality people. The entire country is built around incompetence and mediocrity. No place for talented people. 

No use for good people?

I know a bunch of Thais, they are quite talented, fluent in English and/or French, they are not very happy working in BKK.

Several of these have 2 degrees, first lawyer or engineer and then later topping it off with finance and or business administration while working a full-time job.

Why? Too far away from decision-making. These people have ideas. They want to try ‘em out. Cannot do. Must be digested in some committee or other consisting of 5-10 people of the age 60-70 years.

Nothing ever comes to fruition. My friends are not happy.

No fun working if you are remote from decision-making

Anyway, have worked a fair amount in BKK myself. Not paid by anyone in LoS but my Northern European employer has let me spend weeks and months in BKK to share my expertise with Thais.

Interesting and frustrating trying to learn Thais to be more assertive in international organisations and negotiations, and have them understand why it is necessary.

Gave me an insight into a very different mind-set from mine. Quite incredible what I learned during coffee breaks and lunches.’

Thai MFA have some very good people and some no good. Interesting experience was that those no good would rather take hints from me than from fellow Thais.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

Okay, I'm new here and chose to come here because its where I've wanted to live for the past 45 years. How long I can live here, even married to a thai wife is another story. People are still coming here to retire, but from what I've seen in the last 2 years it is a trickle, not a stream. I've met many, most on their way out, or as 1 gentleman put it, "I've sold my house, sold my car. Rent, ride my bike, and wait for the day I can't live here, or the social uprising that's coming arrives. Thailand is only home to the hardcore, now."

I have lots of friends my age who ask why I don't come live in Mexico, Panama, Spain, etc. They make less than I do and their money goes further. I'm here, as stated, because its the only place I've ever dreamed of being, and I will try to live here for as long as possible. 

good for you if LoS really meet your expectations, cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

I've sold my house, sold my car. Rent, ride my bike, and wait for the day I can't live here, or the social uprising that's coming arrives. Thailand is only home to the hardcore, now.

That last sentence is hilarious. So now those of us who love Thailand and have no intention of leaving, are called hard core rather than Thai apologists. I better get the tattoos in the morning.

Maybe do a "Last man standing" tattoo, should look cool when you really are the last expat in Thailand.

• Haha 2