Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Since systematically it has made more of a hassle to stay here then i not surprised with the OP.

Look how they destroyed the study educational visa for example.

Thailand has made it a national priority to eradicate Farrang, The numbers do not lie!  Good job! Keep it up.  The. THAI message, We don't need or want you.  

Moving on to another country is NOT a bad thing....

b351572c99821eba6cc38893eb0da4e2--best-life-quotes-quote-life.jpg

6aef5f7032484e50cba8358ddbcd8ac4.jpg

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of many many expats who already moved from Thailand. Although not a business owner, I same many others, we all contributed to Thai economy, with at least 1 million Thai Bath per year. Many contributed much more.

The stress with never ending changes in Immigration laws.

USD to Thai baht very poor exchange rate, for years.

Next, new rule, report adress within 24 hours, limited my travel around Thailand.

Next, new rule with two trips to Bangkok to get embassy letter confirmed.

Embassy letter original, should be good enough, but not in Thailand.

Last january, Chief of Immigration promised easier for expats in Thailand.

Few weeks later, the new rule 800.000 baht in local bank, before and after application for retirees, was announced.

This sure did it more difficult for most expats in Thailand. Not easier, as promised.

After almost 2 decades in the country we all love, I had to find a new country in south east Asia, who was more welcoming to retired expats.

The stress with never ending changing Immigration rules, was finally more than enough.

1 week visitors from China and India, will not fill the economic loss, that thousands of expats already moved out / and moving out soon.

Many have already left Thailand, and all those who now prepare to leave Thailand the coming months, before their yearly renewal for visa is up. 

Thailand will take a big economic loss. 

To leave Thailand was not a easy thing to do. Over the years, I really loved Thailand and it's people.

I took time and effort to learn the language, because this is how I think you show respect to your new country of residence.

Many alternatives to Thailand, Vietnam see a surge in former Thai expats, Cambodia, Indonesia and Philippines, are other countries that now welcome more and more expats, who used to live in Thailand for many years.

I still miss and love Thailand, but enough is enough.

1 minute ago, ExpatPH said:

I'm one of many many expats who already moved from Thailand. Although not a business owner, I same many others, we all contributed to Thai economy, with at least 1 million Thai Bath per year. Many contributed much more.

Next, new rule, report adress within 24 hours, limited my travel around Thailand.

Few weeks later, the new rule 800.000 baht in local bank, before and after application for retirees, was announced.

This sure did it more difficult for most expats in Thailand. Not easier, as promised.

After almost 2 decades in the country we all love, I had to find a new country in south east Asia, who was more welcoming to retired expats.

The stress with never ending changing Immigration rules, was finally more than enough.

1 week visitors from China and India, will not fill the economic loss, that thousands of expats already moved out / and moving out soon.

Many have already left Thailand, and all those who now prepare to leave Thailand the coming months, before their yearly renewal for visa is up. 

To leave Thailand was not a easy thing to do. Over the years, I really loved Thailand and it's people.

I took time and effort to learn the language, because this is how I think you show respect to your new country of residence.

Many alternatives to Thailand, Vietnam see a surge in former Thai expats, Cambodia, Indonesia and Philippines, are other countries that now welcome more and more expats, who used to live in Thailand for many years.

Thank you so much for that.

Best of luck in your new digs.

There are people here that are promoting the idea that people that have actually left DIRECTLY due to the massively ONEROUS visa rules don't exist.

I know they exist and many, many more to follow.

It's a shakeout for sure, but it's clear to me that a large portion of those being shaken out are not the so called "bad guys" they are supposedly after.

It's really a crying shame.

16 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Hard to say where it's going.

I know for a lot this, crackdown, tightening of the screws whatever you want to call it is hard.

But it's coupled with everything else going on in your life.

For many people family is a huge pull on you, especially as you get older.

When Thailand was easy, and cheap the balance could be made worthwhile

But if they make it harder, or at least more difficult, and cost benefits don't stack up, that's when guys really start to reevaluate things

I think many, me included, conclude, it's a great great vacation every year, my wife gets to visit family for a few months, but just now a full time retirement destination

On 8/2/2018 at 10:24 AM, rumak said:

well,  my cost of living is still  about 70% less than my daughter who lives (modestly) in North America.

eat simple ,  live simple,   live healthy          that is my retirement plan

can't think of another country that can compare  ( for me, that is)

many threads on leaving and going to laos or cambodia or phil,  or vietnam .

if YOUNG maybe worth a shot.   but for retirees seeking a modest but comfortable lifestyle

i think thailand still wins.   

Not if you add in health insurance!

On 8/2/2018 at 10:44 AM, JAG said:

I'm not (yet) retired. I teach part time, teach online for a few hours a week and have a small occupational pension. I can live in rural northern Thailand, in a pleasant, comfortable if not luxurious (paid for) house, on about 4 rai of land, on which we grow almost all our fruit and vegetables - well actually my wife does, I just offer advice, which she ignores! I have a wife and daughter. I can afford to run an old but adequate pick up, which I can replace with a similar vehicle if necessary.  I can have a night out with a few beers and a curry every couple of weeks. I can afford to eat out with my wife and daughter every couple of weeks. It is a comfortable lifestyle, and I am very content. 

There is no way that I could live like this, in the UK, on my income. And it rains too much. Thailand wins.

How much is your health insurance?

On 8/2/2018 at 10:59 AM, observer90210 said:

Perhaps making retirement visas less of a hassle, putting an end to all the 90 day reporting, making life easier to get a yellow book, a driving licence an alien ID card, not having to bulge around all over with one's passport and stop racketing the legal and decent foreigners at road blocks, may help ?  And maybe posters and national campaigns that rather say "Welcome Foreigner".....instead of "X-Ray Outlaw bust foreigner etc. etc"..... could also help to bring back foreigners ?

Ever think Thailand does at all to get rid of foreigners? It is quite obvious there is ZERO effort to keep foreigners.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:19 PM, mduras01 said:

I've experienced far more xenophobia and division back home in the US. I never quite caught the whole xenophobia thing here--or at least not to the extent described on TV. Maybe I'm just too dumb to see it in front of me, but I've been treated really well in my 5 years here. Yes, I've been given the finger here once, but the guy was disabled and clearly had issues - which was a lot better than the gunpoint holdup at my home in the US. I've had minor issues here, sure, but nothing like the overt hatred back home. I just think Thailand is doing what any country would do - attracting those who will spend and add value. Side note: If they opened up foreign land ownership, prices would sky rocket by multiples. Foreign demand and speculative individual investors would simply kill the dream of any hard working thai to own land in their own country.

"I just think Thailand is doing what any country would do - attracting those who will spend and add value."

Are you serious?

Thailand could care less about attracting those that will spend more that just a holiday and leave

According to Thai officials, no foreigners add value, because if they did there would be an effort to keep them. Which there is none and never will be any.

1 minute ago, bwpage3 said:

"I just think Thailand is doing what any country would do - attracting those who will spend and add value."

Are you serious?

Thailand could care less about attracting those that will spend more that just a holiday and leave

According to Thai officials, no foreigners add value, because if they did there would be an effort to keep them. Which there is none and never will be any.

Westerners complain far too much....compare every single thing to the 1st world, think it's too expensive here, quality too low, people are not kind but only after their money and so on.....

And if you give them the chance they will take over the business because they are educated..

The junta doesn't like people who think for themselves. They prefer people who do what they are told. Like relax, don't watch election results, get some exercise, all will be ok. They read this site and see farang as stirring up problems and fear the spill over to the younger Thai generation who are more open minded. Students questioning election results/EC as a example. The junta wants to be able to keep its power, and getting rid of self thinking farang is a step in that direction.

Thailand will rue the day of wooing the Chinese. Want a high speed rail...sure the Chinese will loan you the money.  Can't pay it back...well let's extend the high speed into China and tie it into the Beijing line. Chinese will exert more pressure. Force Thailand to offer easier path to citizenship for the Chinese. Once the farang are out, Thailand will be more dependent on the Chinese spending. Once the Chinese are in...they can threaten to shut off the flow of tourists from China at their whim. Same as when they shut off buying Japanese cars several years back due to quarrels with the Japanese. Or don't buy Iphones, etc. 

If they get the right to vote, There will be by then Chinese candidates running for election. Thailand is going down a slippery slope. China will end up eating them for breakfast.

46 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Not if you add in health insurance!

i have saved a fortune never buying health insurance.   And if i had bought it,  they would cancel me now as I would be "too old" .   So,  in my case i have the last laugh (never paying into their ever increasing scheme).

I chose to do it my way.  Others can "play it safe" if they are willing to pay the high premiums and risk not being covered when something arises.  

Being from US, and not a veteran,  medicaid does not cover half of what people think it does.  So still a lot cheaper here for me medical wise

Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

Thailand is developing, improving and the Baht is getting stronger. The West is NOT the solution for everything, not anymore...if it ever was.

57 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Are you serious?

Are you serious?  Remember that politician who told the ladies to marry a Farang?  And my wife and her family (some of them officials) want to keep me.  They even told the doctor they would cover the bills when I was not able to speak. 

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Are you serious?

I think there are times when foreigners are wanted and that is to steel the expertise and knowledge. Once they have taken that from you, thank you very much, now you can leave.

Its the me, me, me mentality magnified.

Well Thailand is growing up now and the middle class is expanding fast - so time for them to grow up and look after themselves.

China and Russia will be at the door waiting to help which will eventually ruin the Thailand and Thai culture we once knew. Its a shame, I think most normal Thai people dont mind foreigners but the Elite only seem to want to use people and the foreigners are very easy to use as they have fewer rights and connections in Thailand than Thai people have.

12 hours ago, tlandtday said:

People need to realize that China has a low key initiative of resettling people in adjacent countries not only due to population pressures but to expand their influence.  They have stated about this in the past and I would say Thailand is on the map.  Soon all tour guides, restaurants, etc. will be run by the Chinese and not just the Thai Chinese living here.

My first post on this forum as I have to get this off my chest:

I spent the past year living in Beijing before moving back to Europe for a few weeks. I have to say that I have never before met such a rude, gross, disgusting, set of people in all of my life.   Give me drunk Russian/American idiots over these people any day of the week...

4 hours ago, ravip said:

Thailand is developing, improving and the Baht is getting stronger. The West is NOT the solution for everything, not anymore...if it ever was.

Well i guess if farang became zero dollar tourist we could get the love back.....

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Didn't Malaysia just throw a counterpunch? Good for them. Chinese economic imprerialism is sneaky and needs vigilance to resist. No such thing here in TH, except when it's about keeping Thaksin away.

Thaksin is Thai Chinese background.

13 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Didn't Malaysia just throw a counterpunch? Good for them. Chinese economic imprerialism is sneaky and needs vigilance to resist. No such thing here in TH, except when it's about keeping Thaksin away.

Threw a counterpunch against China, our biggest trading partner? Haha. You might not be familiar with Dr Mahathir but we Malaysians are quite familiar with his style. Look at his recent threat against the EU:

Dr M: Malaysia could retaliate against EU by buying from China

Malaysia, just like Thailand, cannot afford to offend China at all. Mahathir put on hold (but not cancelled) the East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) project, which many of us believe would be restarted after a special envoy visits China in the coming days to conclude the re-negotiation. Just imagine the damage to our palm oil industry if China decides to buy totally from Indonesia instead if the ECRL project is cancelled.

14 hours ago, Schtrick said:

Its obvious that the strategy is working, albeit not quick enough, so expect more hoops to jump through in the coming while. They are chauffeuring in the Chinese like royalty and replacing the Western Expats. Now why would they want to do that? Who do you see on the daily news drunk, beaten or beating up, stabbing or getting stabbed, drug related / girl friend dramas? It 'aint the Chinese. Thailand isn't the place for westerners to retire now unless their expectations change dramatically. Westerners come for the bar girls, and the Chinese come with their families, so places like Pattaya might clean itself up through attrition and help from lack of customers.

Not sure if the Thai authorities were that capable in coming out with your idea of solving their long time prostitution problems by getting rid of Western sexpats and alcoholics but if it was really their plan then I must congratulate them. 

If you live in Mexico long enough, you are considered an honorary Mexican. Imagine that accord being afforded to any foreigner in Thailand? It seems to me that alot of the Thai people like us. But, it also seems to me that nearly every government employee does not, as the toxicity trickles down from the hapless army, to the rank and file.
No true. Albeit it's very easy.. Income requirement... Stay 4 years as a residente temporal... Then automatically get residente permanente... They even let me go through the passport lines for Mexicans!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you serious?  Remember that politician who told the ladies to marry a Farang?  And my wife and her family (some of them officials) want to keep me.  They even told the doctor they would cover the bills when I was not able to speak. 

maybe you are a nice guy  ????      nice guys in,  others out .....  

9 hours ago, ravip said:

You are like a broken record, we get it :thumbsup: here on this 8 month old post :biggrin:

Unfortunatly the Chinese; those saviors of Thai tourism decamped in force last September causing massive hardship in the tourist industry. 

We hear they want to attract Indian and middle eastern tourists. Or they publish news articles to this affect. Then last Friday we have a taxi driver beat down, of a gentlemen in front of his family. Whether he deserved it or not is a moot point. That is going to help with this crowd?

And the Russians? Where are the Russians anyway? Did Putin send them to Siberia?

So who saves Thai tourism now? Eskimos? Nepalese? 

How about a few answers instead of just excitedly burbling with delight about something near and dear to your heart, Ok?  :thumbsup:

i think sihanookville is a precursor to thailand,

large cooperations moves in, takes over construction,

built by chinese for chinese,

and smaller businesses catering to westerners goes out

to make room for more chinese,

the greater east asia coprosperity sphere all over again,

chinese version TM

12 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You are like a broken record, we get it :thumbsup: here on this 8 month old post :biggrin:

Unfortunatly the Chinese; those saviors of Thai tourism decamped in force last September causing massive hardship in the tourist industry. 

We hear they want to attract Indian and middle eastern tourists. Or they publish news articles to this affect. Then last Friday we have a taxi driver beat down, of a gentlemen in front of his family. Whether he deserved it or not is a moot point. That is going to help with this crowd?

And the Russians? Where are the Russians anyway? Did Putin send them to Siberia?

So who saves Thai tourism now? Eskimos? Nepalese? 

How about a few answers instead of just excitedly burbling with delight about something near and dear to your heart, Ok?  :thumbsup:

I must admit there are a lot more Russians this year in Phuket you are right they did stop coming for a while

On 8/3/2018 at 2:22 AM, garyk said:

Have been traveling to Mexico and South America some now. Much much better choice for us North American folks.

Visa = easy.

Cost of living about the same as Thailand.

Can buy land legally.

Just a pleasure compared to Thailand IMO. I still have a retirement visa in Thailand. But, only come back a few months a year and less and less every year now.

Great memories, but not the best retirement destination anymore IMO.

Thailand is small and traveling around is a hassle. I like to drive to different countries in the area and it is a nightmare.

And driving in Mexico isn't?  What about all the El Chapo-esque fake traffic stops?

Archived