Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

14 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Rising COSTS of living in Thailand to the influx of Chinese and Indian tourists changing the dynamics.

Says it all!

Compared to what? Haiti?

So, a bowl of soup went up from 35 to 40 b?

It is still in the top 10 in most publications as one of the least expensive places to live or retire.

And housing is still inexpensive here compared worldwide.

It means nothing really.  Costs are rising everywhere it is called a fact of life....

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, melvinmelvin said:

arrive in LoS by misunderstanding/misconception - something to wake up to!

Thais love mounthly millionaires ,  they spend much more , then go.  Welcome back soon.

Farlangs working in the Kingdom , not wanted .   Give thai person job , teach Inglish .

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Lighten up Francis and reread my post. I used the word poseur in reference to me. Feeling a bit defensive about your hobby?

And yep it's all grape juice to my unsophisticated, uneducated, and lumpenproletariat palate and sour to boot...except Chateau D'yquem of course but I refuse to drink something for $100 that I'll piss out 10 minutes later.

My point is if you are going to be a pinky pointer, why do it in a country where the norm is toilet paper for napkins? They can't even pronounce what you drink.

Now excuse me I'm going to be a poseur at Levels or Insanity. I'll have my Leo shaken not stirred.

Got it. Understood. I do agree with you that Thailand is a terrible choice, for someone who enjoys good wine as much as I do. The duties here are stupidity redefined. The nation could be making a fortune on 100% duty, and wine would be a huge industry here, if they used common sense and reason. LOL. 

But, there are alot of aspects of living here, that I like, so when I drink here, it is high quality tequila that I carry from the US, as one cannot even get Casa Noble, Clase Azul, or comparable quality tequila here, and even the junk like Patron costs way more than it is worth. I rarely bother with wine, as I pay $50 here, for a bottle I can get in the US for $10. Sorry, homey don't play that game. I do not care for Thai beer. It is beyond inferior. But, I drink it on occasion. Best with ice, as it waters down the poor flavor. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Got it. Understood. I do agree with you that Thailand is a terrible choice, for someone who enjoys good wine as much as I do. The duties here are stupidity redefined. The nation could be making a fortune on 100% duty, and wine would be a huge industry here, if they used common sense and reason. LOL. 

But, there are alot of aspects of living here, that I like, so when I drink here, it is high quality tequila that I carry from the US, as one cannot even get Casa Noble, Clase Azul, or comparable quality tequila here, and even the junk like Patron costs way more than it is worth. I rarely bother with wine, as I pay $50 here, for a bottle I can get in the US for $10. Sorry, homey don't play that game. I do not care for Thai beer. It is beyond inferior. But, I drink it on occasion. Best with ice, as it waters down the poor flavor. 

Tequila? If its not brown jugged with a worm in it from a roadside stand in rural Mexico, its not Tequila. Its...Poseur Juice????????????✌❤

12 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I guess it's not about to what extent N enjoys wine but more about your big mouth and how you choose to go about enjoying wine in LoS

no reason to intimidate restaurant staff because they know zilch about wine

there is plenty of very good wine for sale in LoS

you choose to go to a canteen eatery in a shopping centre, what the f do you expect?

if your preference is not to choose proper restaurants that is fine,

since you and your friends seemingly are what you call quality tourists,

you probably have ample amounts of satang

just buy 10-15-20 bottles of very good wine in a shop

bring some bottles with you to the shopping centre eatery of your choice - pay the cork fee - enjoy

Sorry to inform, but there are some good wines available here, but the ones that are available, and worth drinking, are stupid overpriced. The restaurant we were eating at was not a canteen. It was a high end restaurant in Em Quartier. Those restaurants cost a bundle of cash to eat in. This restaurant, had an extensive wine list. Problem was, none of the good wines on the list were available! And all of the vintages were out of stock. They listed a 2010, and all they had was a 2016. And nobody knew anything about the 3,000 baht bottles. If you think I was abusing the staff, by asking for some basic information about a $100 bottle of wine, we are living on different planets! And to even consider paying $50 or so for a crappy bottle of wine, and then paying corkage on top of that, it beyond my ability to comprehend.  

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Compared to what? Haiti?

So, a bowl of soup went up from 35 to 40 b?

It is still in the top 10 in most publications as one of the least expensive places to live or retire.

And housing is still inexpensive here compared worldwide.

It means nothing really.  Costs are rising everywhere it is called a fact of life....

Indeed; it is called 'Inflation', which many here seem to completely forget about !

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

So if they had better tequila here it would open the tourist flood gates?

I have no problem with you enjoying wine but your posts are extremely self serving and truly out of touch.

You posted earlier that reducing the price of wine is a good starter to bringing back tourists...

You care about that but 99.9 % of the people who come here could care less.  

I doubt if a hand full of people reasearch "what wine and the price of wine in Thailand" before coming.  But,  it sounds like maybe your friends do.

Anyway this is one of those I can change nothing about nothing topics.  The price of your wine is what it is and will probably just keep going up.  Seems nothing you can do but keep being frustrated and complaining.

50 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So if they had better tequila here it would open the tourist flood gates?

I have no problem with you enjoying wine but your posts are extremely self serving and truly out of touch.

You posted earlier that reducing the price of wine is a good starter to bringing back tourists...

You care about that but 99.9 % of the people who come here could care less.  

I doubt if a hand full of people reasearch "what wine and the price of wine in Thailand" before coming.  But,  it sounds like maybe your friends do.

Anyway this is one of those I can change nothing about nothing topics.  The price of your wine is what it is and will probably just keep going up.  Seems nothing you can do but keep being frustrated and complaining.

spidermike007's posts are often interesting but this latest flurry entitled 'Whining and dining in Thailand' is proving to be heavy going.

6 hours ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Rising COSTS of living in Thailand to the influx of Chinese and Indian tourists changing the dynamics.

Says it all!

Patts was full of Indians when I was there. The Indian guys looked real scruffy and lenses a poor destitute vibe to many of the bars. They like to hang out in the street in front of the bar for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

Patts was full of Indians when I was there. The Indian guys looked real scruffy and lenses a poor destitute vibe to many of the bars. They like to hang out in the street in front of the bar for some reason.

Maybe they werent allowed in.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to inform, but there are some good wines available here, but the ones that are available, and worth drinking, are stupid overpriced. The restaurant we were eating at was not a canteen. It was a high end restaurant in Em Quartier. Those restaurants cost a bundle of cash to eat in. This restaurant, had an extensive wine list. Problem was, none of the good wines on the list were available! And all of the vintages were out of stock. They listed a 2010, and all they had was a 2016. And nobody knew anything about the 3,000 baht bottles. If you think I was abusing the staff, by asking for some basic information about a $100 bottle of wine, we are living on different planets! And to even consider paying $50 or so for a crappy bottle of wine, and then paying corkage on top of that, it beyond my ability to comprehend.  

never mind cost and price,

you are going about it in he wrong way if you  want good food and good wine in a good atmosphere

call it whatever you like, its still a canteen in a shopping centre, although a pricey centre,

still a shopping centre

11 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

never mind cost and price,

you are going about it in he wrong way if you  want good food and good wine in a good atmosphere

call it whatever you like, its still a canteen in a shopping centre, although a pricey centre,

still a shopping centre

You hit the nail on the head there

thailand just does not really fit into fine wine culture and lifestyle

it can be done but your just buying an extremely expensive bubble

my neighbor found that the hard way, eventually just moving to places like France and Portugal (I also saw him chocking a chicken on his patio  whilst I was going out for a beer on a warm fine evening)

And it's not just about wine cost, it's a lifestyle and vibe choice which is reflected in fine wine needs.

now I know When I hear people talk wine they really are  the odd man out, mitch

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Bought a bottle of Boone's Farm wine back in the early 70's. About 5 of us bought a bottle and sat around at the beach drinking.

A couple of gals sat down with us. I ended up with one of the gals. Depending on how you look at it, that was the most expensive bottle of wine I have ever bought... But worth it... haha..

Regards. 

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:
17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You need Red Cock (Vodka), 140bht a bottle in Tesco.

red cock.jpg

Thanks. Since my hurricane lamp ran dry I've been looking for something to top it up.

Is that ok as mosquito repellent ?

On 8/2/2018 at 3:43 AM, worgeordie said:

It's harder finding Farang tenants for rental properties now,

10 years ago relatively easy,now its Chinese (only as a last

resort) and Thais (never again),not racist ,just good business

practice.

regards worgeordie

I must be lucky as I have had the same western farang tenant in my condo in Pattaya for the last 3.5 years.

Archived