Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many Falang think they are so important to this place.

Their arrogance and demanding attitudes is a big reason for the deterioration of Falang being wanted and appreciated here.

This place to me seems to be at the point they do not care about Falang.  If you leave or not, so what is how they feel.

What is happening?  You are being replaced by a smarter, richer, more appreciated Asian neighbor.

If it were not for the Chinese influence here now, the real estate market some of the major towns would be in a great recession.  Especially Pattaya they are the major foreign buyers by a big majority in Pattaya.

Falangs truly seem to be contributing little to the new economy even though their ego tells them different.  The white/western attitudes and thinking seem to be a thing of the past.  I feel sorry for none of them.

Below is a photo of the Q condos in Bangkok.  Nana skytrain area.

Anyone that knows it realizes it is a good general location, but smack dab in the middle of many of the undesirables in central BKK.  

I went in just for fun and was told by the rep. a handful of these places were sold to Falang.

The rest are mostly Chinese, Japan, and some Korea buying the higher end places.

These people are bringing in and spending real money here.

Sorry, but generally Falang are now I believe a thought/thing of the past.

Things have and will come around and go around.  That's life.....just deal with it and accept it.

IMG_20190330_154722462.jpg

When you forget or ignore Thai Rule #1 (Money #1) you’re setting yourself up for failure. 

Also, when Thais say, “up to you” they really mean that sh*t. 

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

In their mind Cheap Charlie (I would never buy that) Falang?  Or, the big spending foreigner others who careless??

As long as they're not picky about the source of the funds and nasty little Anti-Money Laundering thingies. 

Reminds me of this gem:

Never Wrestle with a Pig. You Both Get Dirty and the Pig Likes It

8 minutes ago, dcnx said:

When you forget or ignore Thai Rule #1 (Money #1) you’re setting yourself up for failure. 

Also, when Thais say, “up to you” they really mean that sh*t. 

Sorry, absolutely the continued dumbest comment on this site.

If one is in touch with reality...

You are extremely naive as money is number one in your country, for you, and for your family.

The "Thais money #1" comment is a smallbox blind naive react judgement comment.

If a person is honest about their life, money is number one.

Just read all the threads on this site it is all about the money. Or, lack of it.

Please, do not try to convince others you are in some way better then Thais with your "Thai money number one" comments. 

I can say this, I have a few more bills to pay off while im residing in Thailand & living "cheap". Once thats done, im gone. Ill be moving back to my home country after more than a decade of Thailand and South East Asia and I honestly cant wait. 

Thailand has changed so much in the last 10 years, the people, the attitudes, the tourism the visa rules, the cost. 

Alot of it is the internet blowing up and making the world smaller. Alot of it is the government and the tourists they want to bring in. I really couldn't care what the reasons are because im over it. Thais are a finicky bunch and hard to relate to and build relationships with, probably the more difficult people in South East Asia in that regard. 

Im my opinion, Thailand is best kept as a tourist destination where you aren't committed to more than a hotel booking and can walk away at any time. 

4 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

I can say this, I have a few more bills to pay off while im residing in Thailand & living "cheap". Once thats done, im gone. Ill be moving back to my home country after more than a decade of Thailand and South East Asia and I honestly cant wait. 

Thailand has changed so much in the last 10 years, the people, the attitudes, the tourism the visa rules, the cost. 

Alot of it is the internet blowing up and making the world smaller. Alot of it is the government and the tourists they want to bring in. I really couldn't care what the reasons are because im over it. Thais are a finicky bunch and hard to relate to and build relationships with, probably the more difficult people in South East Asia in that regard. 

Im my opinion, Thailand is best kept as a tourist destination where you aren't committed to more than a hotel booking and can walk away at any time. 

Exactly my thoughts, wrote a thread about it earlier today.

27 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

The old adage goes 'Never invest more in Thailand than you're willing to walk away from'. It's still valid. It's all about Risk/Reward ratio and in Thailand's case, the rewards tend to be personal (read abundance of cheap totty) and diminish in value over time, risk are increasing. The deal gets worse from day #1. Better live it up in the honeymoon period.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, absolutely the continued dumbest comment on this site.

If one is in touch with reality...

You are extremely naive as money is number one in your country, for you, and for your family.

The "Thais money #1" comment is a smallbox blind naive react judgement comment.

If a person is honest about their life, money is number one.

Just read all the threads on this site it is all about the money. Or, lack of it.

Please, do not try to convince others you are in some way better then Thais with your "Thai money number one" comments. 

Please no more today. it's starting to smell.

real bull shit 1.jpg

I have been surveying the Thai scene from afar and close for 4 years as I have a Thai partner and it's a serious relationship... backwards and forth from the Land of Oz to the LoS: "should i stay or should I go" as the clash song goes ???? as far as i can tell, even in that 4 year time period there does seem to be both a hardening of the visa regulations...(visa runs...a near thing of the past?) but more clearly what a Thai-leaver on another thread very recently described as "a hardening of attitudes toward westerners" amongst the local populace. It's funny (perhaps not) but, yes, methinks it's evident.

Other than my heart (!), I don't have anything else invested here ???? (yes I will regret writing that horribly corny line hahaha). As things appear to stand, even as a retiree with adequate funds and a partner who is self-funded, increasingly doubtful that I will relocate permanently to Thailand. It just all seems TOO difficult and seems to becoming more so. So, for what it's worth or not, that's my 3 cents... nice place to visit, but....

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many Falang think they are so important to this place.

Their arrogance and demanding attitudes is a big reason for the deterioration of Falang being wanted and appreciated here.

This place to me seems to be at the point they do not care about Falang.  If you leave or not, so what is how they feel.

What is happening?  You are being replaced by a smarter, richer, more appreciated Asian neighbor.

If it were not for the Chinese influence here now, the real estate market some of the major towns would be in a great recession.  Especially Pattaya they are the major foreign buyers by a big majority in Pattaya.

Falangs truly seem to be contributing little to the new economy even though their ego tells them different.  The white/western attitudes and thinking seem to be a thing of the past.  I feel sorry for none of them.

Excellent. Outstanding BKK6060. Good to see you let out those pent up feelings. BTW I figured you were not from San Francisco what that “Frisco” comment. I did not realize the mendacity goes far deeper. The real question is if you hate expats and western expats so vehemently, then why would you hang out on an western expat forum? That is like obsessively picking at a scab or a deep painful masochistic behavior that you hate but cannot break free from.

I can only suggest therapy as a next step. As always are hopes and prayers are with you in these difficult times.

I have been surveying the Thai scene from afar and close for 4 years as I have a Thai partner and it's a serious relationship... backwards and forth from the Land of Oz to the LoS: "should i stay or should I go" as the clash song goes 

If I go, there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know. ?

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Excellent. Outstanding BKK6060. Good to see you let out those pent up feelings. BTW I figured you were not from San Francisco what that “Frisco” comment. I did not realize the mendacity goes far deeper. The real question is if you hate expats and western expats so vehemently, then why would you hang out on an western expat forum? That is like obsessively picking at a scab or a deep painful masochistic behavior that you hate but cannot break free from.

I can only suggest therapy as a next step. As always are hopes and prayers are with you in these difficult times.

I dont ever want to go to Russia so I dont post on Russian expat forums....

I dont want to live in Singapore so I dont post on Singapore expat forums...

I dont give a rats ass what the expats are doing in Russia or Singapore or loads of other countries....

But for some strange reason we seem to have LOADS of posters on here that I could name who never tire of putting down expats or pretty much any farangs of European origin in Thailand for that matter.....Especially the not rich ones.....

Day after day month after month year after year they post the same horse shit......Rules are rules if you do not like it leave,,,Farangs of modest means need to go home the sooner the better bla bla bla

Its all very strange.....I honestly think some get paid to post....

36 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Its all very strange.....I honestly think some get paid to post....

I have thought that for some time now.

I really do not know what to say. I don't know why it is allowed and tolerated

It doesn't make me feel comfortable posting here. I probably should find some other place, like for REAL expats, except I know some people on here from long ago. 

My wife is Thai and has lived in the USA for a few years. We like the USA, Puget Sound area, but for our lifestyle (pretty simple), it’s a very expensive place to live. We plan to pack it up and move to Thailand in a couple of years and give it a try, at least for awhile. She has a house there, anyway.

Nothing wrong with a change of scenery for awhile or forever. For us, free time and staying healthy and gardening and reading is what’s important and we can easily do that in Thailand. We pay quite a bit for that lifestyle here with skyrocketing property taxes, health insurance, and utilities. And the weather can be fairly cold and rainy much of the year - even in summer.

Well away of the downsides to Thailand, like anywhere. Take the good with the bad. And there is nothing wrong with changing your mind and moving back home or elsewhere...

2 hours ago, Bohemianfish said:

My wife is Thai and has lived in the USA for a few years. We like the USA, Puget Sound area, but for our lifestyle (pretty simple), it’s a very expensive place to live. We plan to pack it up and move to Thailand in a couple of years and give it a try, at least for awhile. She has a house there, anyway.

So in a couple of years you'll be welcome to join us in the IDC...

14 hours ago, tassieman said:

more clearly what a Thai-leaver on another thread very recently described as "a hardening of attitudes toward westerners" amongst the local populace. It's funny (perhaps not) but, yes, methinks it's evident.

I agree and disagree.

I believe the Thais have ALWAYS been deeply xenophobic. I think the difference is that in the past, they had reason to maintain the fake, plastic smiles and national act of pretending to be friendly. 

If we think about it, no country of people who have generally good attitudes about a foreign population can suddenly, almost overnight, develop deep, pervasive resentment.

They NEVER liked Farang (or any other groups, save for their cousin Chinese), they just pretended well. One of the only things they excel at. 

14 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Don't worry one iota about what BKK6060 says. He reminds me of my school days. There was always one kid in the playground whose hobby was throwing stones at others.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:27 PM, holy cow cm said:

The way they treat expats here with the hoop jumping and can't be a citizen or own anything even if have Thai Family is atrocious. Even if the expat wants his own business then they have to have a certain amount of Thai.  90 day reporting and virtually being considered a 3rd rate person here is just how it is. 

Nothing wrong with that, Thailand (unlike many western nations) are not prepared to dilute their culture in any way. You know the rules, and you come here by your own choice.

6 minutes ago, the guest said:

Western Expats has no effect on the economy, since the Chinese and Russians have replaced them.

Yawn.....Boring......So Australian,American,Canadian,and all people from the European Union account for nothing....lol.......They are nothing and add nothing to Thailand...lol........Give it a rest will you...

10 minutes ago, the guest said:

Nothing wrong with that, Thailand (unlike many western nations) are not prepared to dilute their culture in any way. You know the rules, and you come here by your own choice.

Wrong is wrong.....Things will change for the better for expats in Thailand because the injustices are becoming to glaring....

1 hour ago, the guest said:

Interesting comment considering the MASSIVE influence the Indians, and then Chinese have had on "Thai" / Siamese culture. 

The history of the world is cultures influencing each other. The Chinese brought their culture with them. Why shouldn't we Farang? 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:57 AM, ChipButty said:

I must admit there are a lot more Russians this year in Phuket you are right they did stop coming for a while

I was in Phuket 6 weeks ago. I don't think I saw more than a couple of Chinese tourists tops. I understand there had been a dengue outbreak in Krabi and nearby which scared off Chinese tourists.

On the other hand, the only people I spoke English with were Thai's. The rest were Russians who didn't speak English and generally sent a cold chill down my spine.....

With regard to the poor tourist approach that's frequently mentioned here, the rip off taxis in the Phuket area with the generally poor layout of things was enough for me to never even pass through there again.....some nice people but jeeeez.

3 hours ago, Essecola said:

No more stay long time if not got a NON IMM visa. Toursist can only visit for short time now. Good old days gone unless u pay 500,000b for 5 years. No 1 year option available for 100k or 120k. No more stay long time. 

Makes sense to me.

Archived