Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

Not sure about the other nationalities, except they were not westerners from America or Canada IMO. 

Regards.

And how do you separate the Americans from the Europeans ? By their waist size ?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, garyk said:

Since I am not in BKK very ofter I went to MBK and Paragon plaza today to people watch. I was curious.

MBK, about 30% or more Indian's I would guess,  20% Thai, not sure about the rest,  European's and others from other countryies? I only saw two or three I was sure from America or Canada. I stayed about 3 hours and wandered around.

Paragon Plaza, bingo!!!  Big step up in spending power. I would say about 40-50% Chinese. These people were spending money. Dressed very nice and in the shops. Not sure about the other nationalities, except they were not westerners from America or Canada IMO. 

So just in that area I would say Western tourists are a no show. 

To sum it up, Indian's and Europeans in MBK. Paragon plaza, Chinese spending the money. I was a bit surprised. 

Regards.

I truly never understand any of it.

I did the same as you last week I only saw 1 to 5 % western faces in any place.

But I do not understand coming to Bangkok to shop...  Maybe they mostly live here but I doubt it.

So, they take a long flight, get a hotel to shop?  Are the deals that great?

I know they have malls and shopping in Arab, Indian and Chinese countries.

Also, if you are home they usually will have some type of return policy.  Buy it here and go you got nothing.

I am glad some of the shopping areas seem to be doing well.

I just do not understand the attraction as to why it is any better then where they are from.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I know it sounds odd but I can by their appearance, mannerisms, dress, etc.

Of course when they talk it is a no brainer.

Same here, pretty easy really. If unsure I can get close enough to hear them talk.

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I truly never understand any of it.

I did the same as you last week I only saw 1 to 5 % western faces in any place.

But I do not understand coming to Bangkok to shop...  Maybe they mostly live here but I doubt it.

So, they take a long flight, get a hotel to shop?  Are the deals that great?

I know they have malls and shopping in Arab, Indian and Chinese countries.

Also, if you are home they usually will have some type of return policy.  Buy it here and go you got nothing.

I am glad some of the shopping areas seem to be doing well.

I just do not understand the attraction as to why it is any better then where they are from.

Yea I hear ya, what was really shocking to me was walking across the street, and seeing the difference. Wow

49 minutes ago, balo said:

And how do you separate the Americans from the Europeans ? By their waist size ?

Americans are big enough to have their own

gravitational field. You might have you noticed,

that the world is revolving around them.

40 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Americans are big enough to have their own

gravitational field. You might have you noticed,

that the world is revolving around them.

I have always wondered why so many foreign women are mysteriously drawn in. I always thought it was just luck!  Now I know it is gravity... Cool... haha

3 hours ago, balo said:

Yes, that is exactly what I do. Wow you are sharp as a tack!

3 hours ago, garyk said:

MBK, about 30% or more Indian's I would guess,  

MBK has been that way for decades ... did you not see at least one or two with the full hador female bring up the rear? I always do.

Half of the Indians you saw were middle eastern. Granted a lot of Muslim Indians and Pakistanis come there but, MBK has always attracted a big group from the ME doing the bargain shop attack.

4 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Why on earth would a Brit want to be an American? You have HEALTHCARE!!!!

So that he matters and people that speak English can understand him? ????

Where is BritMantoo...he wants to be reincarnated as a Yank.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So that he matters and people that speak English can understand him? ????

Where is BritMantoo...he wants to be reincarnated as a Yank.

No need to take him seriously, it's TVF after all.

I haven't met somebody yet who wants to be American :tongue:

You know after the remarks about how did I know what the  Europeans looked like.

I got to thinking about it. 

Actually at Paragon plaza, I did not see any Europeans either? Very few.

The European's were at MBK, not Paragon Plaza. And Paragon plaza is where the big money was being spent.

Also I did not see them in the shops buying in MBK either?  

With the Westerners gone, and the Europeans not buying, and definitely out numbered by the hundreds, I am starting to see why the Thais want the Chinese back in numbers. 

Looks to me like the Chinese, Arabic, Indian's are driving the market in that area. Not the Westerners or the Europeans. 

Actually I could care less, but that is what was going on today. And it was packed.

The Thai's are right on target looks like to me. 

5 hours ago, garyk said:

You know after the remarks about how did I know what the  Europeans looked like.

I got to thinking about it. 

Actually at Paragon plaza, I did not see any Europeans either? Very few.

The European's were at MBK, not Paragon Plaza. And Paragon plaza is where the big money was being spent.

Also I did not see them in the shops buying in MBK either?  

With the Westerners gone, and the Europeans not buying, and definitely out numbered by the hundreds, I am starting to see why the Thais want the Chinese back in numbers. 

Looks to me like the Chinese, Arabic, Indian's are driving the market in that area. Not the Westerners or the Europeans. 

Actually I could care less, but that is what was going on today. And it was packed.

Chinese spend more than any other group, apparently. And they take pride in the fact. Same for Thailand. 

Screenshot_20181218-053106.jpg.63770bfdd387952285950c6d3a7238c2.jpg

5 hours ago, garyk said:

Tell the Chinese decided to pack up and go home.  :biggrin: Now they look like they are shooting blanks.

That said even if they came in full force there would be an implosion in the hotel/condo industry in Chiang Mai because they have way overbuilt. I suspect that is the case in a few other big market/destination areas too.

40 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Chinese spend more than any other group, apparently. And they take pride in the fact. Same for Thailand. 

Yet when we hear about  "no Baht tourism", it's always in relation to the Chinese tourists. Last Sunday I ran into two Chinese, (yes a few are still around), at the check out at Tops market. They had baskets full of Mama cup of noodles, Durian chips, tins a fish etc. High rollers ?! these guys looked like they were stocking their hotel room. My God! These deadbeats certainly are not the answer. 

However I can understand both of the above posters need to cheerlead, as this is shaping up to be one of the worst high seasons ever.  The policy of putting all your eggs in one basket is as bad as people always said it would be.

Need to shake those pom pom a little harder, and yell louder. Lets get with it!

On 8/3/2018 at 9:06 AM, tideout said:

Agreed. It's always made me laugh when I speak to a conservative guy or gal here in Ho Chi Minh about going to Thailand and they snicker about it being nothing more than a sex tourist destination. Meanwhile they're having a coffee in between 2 girlie bars or massage joints.

nothing to do with being a conservative, just not observing the obvious

16 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

But..but..you are a conservative are you not?

That stupid hat gives the game away.

..and please ..nothing about Obama and African Americans..neh?

so, again, the post somehow tried, to equate being a "conservative" to not understanding the obvious. All i did was call out the silly nonsense, then you come up with this blather, well done.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, stud858 said:

Things seemed to go downhill after the taksin saga. So maybe things will get better when the Tac man gets back in. Chin up.

Agreed. He and his henchman Purachai ( for whom I hope a seat in hell is waiting ) did more to destroy Thai sanuk than any other 2 Thais in history. It's never recovered.

Before taksin Thais had sanuk, after they had greed.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:05 AM, LomSak27 said:

MBK has been that way for decades ... did you not see at least one or two with the full hador female bring up the rear? I always do.

Half of the Indians you saw were middle eastern. Granted a lot of Muslim Indians and Pakistanis come there but, MBK has always attracted a big group from the ME doing the bargain shop attack.

LOL. I never took much notice of the ethnicity of shoppers in MBK as too engrossed in the uni chix with their too short skirts and their too tight shirts. Bliss ????

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I never took much notice of the ethnicity of shoppers in MBK as too engrossed in the uni chix with their too short skirts and their too tight shirts. Bliss ????

Yes and they look acceptable because they wear shoes and you cant see their feet. That Uni-cutie pulls off those black flats and a set of Frodo Baggins floppers pop out. 

Beware.

The entire world has changed, and is changing rapidly continuously. In the 'good old days' the western world had the richest people. Today, economies have changed - the ones that were up are coming down and the bottom ones are climbing up.

Whether we like it or not, this change of scenario and the endless cycle will continue till thy kingdom come. This is why we see a lot of bitterness, arrogance, accusations etc amongst nationalities.

The hard fact is, Thailand and the rest of the non-western countries will continue to exist and develop even with the diminishing of the income from the west - especially from the tourists and expats.

Just now, ravip said:

The entire world has changed, and is changing rapidly continuously. In the 'good old days' the western world had the richest people. Today, economies have changed - the ones that were up are coming down and the bottom ones are climbing up.

Whether we like it or not, this change of scenario and the endless cycle will continue till thy kingdom come. This is why we see a lot of bitterness, arrogance, accusations etc amongst nationalities.

The hard fact is, Thailand and the rest of the non-western countries will continue to exist and develop even with the diminishing of the income from the west - especially from the tourists and expats.

Sounds like you typed that that off a script.  :biggrin: Meanwhile back to the real world.

My main concern now is they get the Chinese back. Yes, lots of posters here get apoplectic when I state this, and I am not singing the praises of their collective personality or culture. If they don't,  you worry that this place could tank. I don't want to be living in a recessionary economically depressed country. I know that from my own past experience working OS, let alone the prospect of the G friends siblings moving into the condo. ????

The news coming in from Pattaya, Phuket and CM worry me. Thailand has put its eggs in one basket, now they seem to have busted that basket. 

22 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Sounds like you typed that that off a script.  :biggrin: Meanwhile back to the real world.

My main concern now is they get the Chinese back. 

Why?

According to most the Chinese do not spend any money.  Zero dollar tours, buy an ice cream and instant noodles at 7-11 is the most common comments.

Anyway, bigger ticket item sales lacking is usually a forerunner to recession.  The Chinese tourists buy none of that here.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Why?

According to most the Chinese do not spend any money.  Zero dollar tours, buy an ice cream and instant noodles at 7-11 is the most common comments.

Anyway, bigger ticket item sales lacking is usually a forerunner to recession.  The Chinese tourists buy none of that here.

Cause basically its going to be bad sooner than you think.

Hey last weekend two big spenders were checking in TOPS market, Mama, tinned fish, chips, nuts, basket full and more for each. Ok so they are not eating in restaurants,   :biggrin:   , still they have a hotel room. They're paying for that. The Thais have successfully scared off the Euros,  so I don't want a ghost town. Real Simple

21 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Cause basically its going to be bad sooner than you think.

Hey last weekend two big spenders were checking in TOPS market, Mama, tinned fish, chips, nuts, basket full and more for each. Ok so they are not eating in restaurants,   :biggrin:   , still they have a hotel room. They're paying for that. The Thais have successfully scared off the Euros,  so I don't want a ghost town. Real Simple

I made the mistake of going into Foodland last night. I will say nothing more ????

I kick myself for not recording on camera, or at least taking some pics. I was my phone because they were talking their time. We are talking big baskets and the checker was having trouble,  a lot of Mama there, but not in the cello bricks, nope it was a holiday so they were selecting individual favorites!   ????

Bangkok – The government has assured the public that

construction of the first phase of the remaining three

sections of the Thai-Chinese high-speed rail between

Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima will begin in April next year.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why?

I believe they spend more than western tourists in massive supermarkets and shopping malls.

Why? Because pretty much everything on sale in China is fake, dangerous and low quality. So when overseas they stuff their bags as much as possible. Income from these massive companies is easily trackable.

But the westerners spend more overall - in parts of economy that's not so easy track - bars, tours, restaurants, etc.

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Even the advertisement AI knows the truth:

7.PNG.db0d69e29628febdd7d81039da85435f.PNG

Mama noodles must have sales up by 1000000%.

In Paragon Plaza I saw maybe 10 Chinese tourists bellied up in a small restaurant. I looked at the menu, Starting at 1000 Baht / plate to 3000 Baht per plate for lobster? And were downing it with bottles of wine? One of the few places I stopped, and could not believe my eyes. All the small eateries around there were packed. 

Archived