Popular expat in Pattaya in urgent need of blood

Jonathan Fairfield

I'm the wrong type as well A RH-, and they'd probably refuse because it's full of alcohol this morning after an unplanned reunion last night.

There is one of the 'O''s though that I think is considered universal.  I couldn't get it when needed, but afterwards did the usual fact finding and there are charts to show what does and does not work.

80% or so of Thais have the same blood group, so anything else is considered odd.  They'll likely pump him up with FFP (fresh frozen plasma) in the meantime until they can find a donor, but I don't think it'll be that hard.

Good luck to the person whoever he is, but I'm sure this will be resolved locally without having to fly people or fluid in.

Sounds a bit cold I know,  but "accountants health care" is.  I'm confident he'll get a good result anyhow being a non rare blood type.

Apparently only 1% of Asia are RH- and Thais only 0.3%.

I am O- but the cut off point over here is 55 years old I believe, at 67 I am certainly too old.

Here is the chart of blood groups.

receivers.png

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A person with 0 negative can only recive blood from others with 0 negative. On the other hand he or she can donate blood to everyone. Its no comfort in this case though. I cross my fingers and hope they will find someone that can and want to donate the right blood type to this person.

Edited by Mangkhut

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

Apparently only 1% of Asia is RH- and Thais only 0.3%.

I am O- but the cut off point over here is 55 years old I believe, at 67 I am certainly too old.

Here is the chart of blood groups.

receivers.png

That's the chart I was thinking of.  So it's O- that is universal, and also easily resolved in other parts of the world (maybe farangs should have a donor drive to balance this).

If I was dying through lack of blood, I wouldn't refuse because the donor is over 55 for chrst sake!  You can always do a Soros and get the blood of a poor 16 year old virgin from some far away place after you survive (there is something to back up 'young' blood versus old, but staying alive is much more important).  I couldn't get what I needed anywhere in Thailand so couldn't get the operation I needed, so had to do it natures way and am still healing the long way around).  I'm 49 so maybe I should clean my act up and donate some for a year or two.  Never know who you're going to help.  Look's like my version will help any of the 'A' group.  That's very rare here, but not so much in other parts of the world, so likely it would only be useful to farangs here I suspect.  Not going to make it to top of the list, us being an expendable and all that.

Edited by Shiver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I am over the age limit at 70. I ask why an upper age limit? I donated often during my working career because I'd get the four hours off work.

It has been discussed on TV many times, with differing outcomes, however I have just found this link to the red cross in Thailand.

https://english.redcross.or.th/node/49

It does contradict many opinions that had been previously thought, in any case I would certainly ring the hospital up before going to donate.

6 hours ago, Khuai Lek said:

I am O- blood group and regular donor.

How many units he need.?

It's been 6 hours since you posted. Hope you were able to go to the hospital and donate.

Please reply back and give us an update.

• Like 1

Australia will not take any donations from UK people who lived there in certain years.  1980 to 1996 comes to mind all though those years could be wrong.  I think it is to do with Mad Cow disease or some derivitive of it. 

Edited by tryasimight
Checked and modified dates

I’m O- and tried to donate at the Red Cross in Hua Hin, was refused because I lived in the UK in  the late eighties and early nineties due to the risk of BSE (mad cow disease).

I know if I was fighting for my life I would take the risk of contracting BSE over dying. 

They stopped me donating in the UK because I visited Thailand.  

46 minutes ago, Teenie said:

I’m O- and tried to donate at the Red Cross in Hua Hin, was refused because I lived in the UK in  the late eighties and early nineties due to the risk of BSE (mad cow disease).

I know if I was fighting for my life I would take the risk of contracting BSE over dying. 

They stopped me donating in the UK because I visited Thailand.  

As an  FYI,  UK now allow donation 3 months after a Thai visit

1 hour ago, Teenie said:

But there are those who need blood for non-life-threatening reasons or who have compromised immunity who would be less inclined to gamble than you are. Would you have blood donated by people theoretically presenting a greater risk labeled "use only for desperate  people?"  

2 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Australia will not take any donations from UK people who lived there in certain years.  1980 to 1996 comes to mind all though those years could be wrong.  I think it is to do with Mad Cow disease or some derivitive of it. 

Thai red cross also refuses anyone that's from the UK between 1980-96 and anyone that's spent more than 5 years in Europe (and UK) since 96. But in practice, they don't ask this screener question when you turn up to donate

Damn..... that's MY blood type.. O -       Type O, Rh neg.     Anyone there with O -... please help this guy.. 

They call it the Universal Donor because anyone can receive O - blood in an emergency.    

But if you have O - .... you can ONLY receive O -      And O - is extremely rare in Asians.    It's more common in Caucasians westeners.... but still on the rare side...    So this guy might be in very serious trouble.  

I wish I was back in Thailand right now... I'd help. But sometimes they don't want you if you are over age 65 or something...  I'm 66.

I'll be back in Thailand again a few months from now... but probably too late to help..  

In my home country of Canada, as long as your healthy and no bad diseases... they still are happy to get blood at  the blood donor clinic.  I've been donating for fifty years..  since I was 16.  

53 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

I know Rudders....a good egg....I'll get myself down there.

He has O -     so he will be only able to receive O -       Is that what you have ?  

Good luck...  and thanks.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hacker69 said:

As an  FYI,  UK now allow donation 3 months after a Thai visit

Canada makes you wait a year before you can donate again, after visiting certain parts of Thailand and Cambodia...        Malaria risk...    I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia and Bangkok last year... they made me wait a year when I got back to Canada.   But I'm returning to south east Asia again soon...... so I will be able to donate only maybe once before I fly out of Canada again..     They're really scared of Malaria showing up in the blood supply.. Can't blame them.