Newcomers to Bangkok, need advice for decent health insurance

ferderic0

So I'm here asking for some advice on health insurance product, I want something that has high coverage especially cover up the cost for private good hospitals as I heard public hospitals in Thailand are not so good. Any suggestion guys? Any experience to share?

2 hours ago, ferderic0 said:

I want something that has high coverage especially cover up the cost for private good hospitals as I heard public hospitals in Thailand are not so good.

Well the private hospitals where I live in Sukhothai are worse than our local government hospital in my experience.

I am with thailife.com with a very reasonable premium cost negotiated on my needs and price.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well the private hospitals where I live in Sukhothai are worse than our local government hospital in my experience.

I am with thailife.com with a very reasonable premium cost negotiated on my needs and price.

by our local government hospital, u mean in your home country or in thailand?

3 minutes ago, ferderic0 said:

by our local government hospital, u mean in your home country or in thailand?

?  Well Sukhothai is in North Central Thailand where I live and our local Thai government hospital is excellent.

Many of doctors that work there work in private hospitals.

I can use any private hospital on my health Ins if I choose to.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

?  Well Sukhothai is in North Central Thailand where I live and our local Thai government hospital is excellent.

Many of doctors that work there work in private hospitals.

I can use any private hospital on my health Ins if I choose to.  

Bangkok's private hospital should be better than public ones tho

3 hours ago, ferderic0 said:

Bangkok's private hospital should be better than public ones tho

I wouldn't know about that there's a teaching hospital in Phisanulok I avoid Bkk like the plague as I always say. 

I would add that it can depend on your cover e. g. private room 4 bed's at gov hospital 1000 baht I have cover up to 2000baht .

Maybe good surgeons are situated in Bkk hospitals and go north for other hospitals when required. 

I hope I don't have to find that out. 

On 8/2/2018 at 2:14 AM, Kwasaki said:

Isn't Thai Life just life insurance not health/medical insurance?

On 8/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, Nicolas01 said:

A friend of mine recommend luma health to me, I'm not sure still, but I think their coverage is decent and u don't need to pay anything at some top thai hospitals. https://www.lumahealth.com/

Hope it can be helpful to you. 

Thanks for the link as I don't remember hearing about them before in earlier discussions in this forum. I have just sent off for a quote so lets see what they come back with. 

Their overall annual cover limit seems good at  32m baht but the hospital room rate is pretty low at only 5440 baht per day?

46 minutes ago, dinga said:

Seems health coverage also available - although doesn't seem coverage is specified on the website <http://www.thailife.com/Thai-Life-Insurance-Medicare/ThaiLife-Insurance-Medicare>

When get the agent visit they go through all amounts they pay, you can reduce some items e.g. cost of room to make cover affordable.

Also I pay every 6 months and there is a life cover amount should you peg it.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, topt said:

Thanks for the link as I don't remember hearing about them before in earlier discussions in this forum. I have just sent off for a quote so lets see what they come back with. 

Their overall annual cover limit seems good at  32m baht but the hospital room rate is pretty low at only 5440 baht per day?

Hi, I called them to ask for more information, I think luma health would be my choice. They have a plan called Asia care first, the annual cover limit is at 48M, and the hospital room rate could 8.4K - 18k. I think that's quite decent. You can have a look here. https://www.lumahealth.com/personal-health-insurance/thailand/asia-care-first/

Edited by Nicolas01

28 minutes ago, Nicolas01 said:

Hi, I called them to ask for more information, I think luma health would be my choice. They have a plan called Asia care first, the annual cover limit is at 48M, and the hospital room rate could 8.4K - 18k. I think that's quite decent. You can have a look here. https://www.lumahealth.com/personal-health-insurance/thailand/asia-care-first/

Yes very good,  covered for life as long as you die at 65.

The International companies premiums are very huge indeed and not sure if covered over 70 years old and if they do do the premiums go up a huge amount.
Also, do hear that even the Thais on certain companies have problems so one has to be careful out there and many years ago there were thinking of bringing back health care for expats, but nothing came of it and now the NHS require you to be a permanent resident of the UK to get treatment or at least living 6 months of the year, otherwise even though one paid NI contributions have to pay like 100 to 150 per cent of cost. Amazing right?

2 hours ago, john west said:

The International companies premiums are very huge indeed and not sure if covered over 70 years old and if they do do the premiums go up a huge amount.
Also, do hear that even the Thais on certain companies have problems so one has to be careful out there and many years ago there were thinking of bringing back health care for expats, but nothing came of it and now the NHS require you to be a permanent resident of the UK to get treatment or at least living 6 months of the year, otherwise even though one paid NI contributions have to pay like 100 to 150 per cent of cost. Amazing right?

Well at 71 I just claimed with my Thai health insurance and no problem. 

Never mind the Nhs your pension is frozen as well. ?

On 8/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well at 71 I just claimed with my Thai health insurance and no problem. 

Never mind the Nhs your pension is frozen as well. ?

KwasakiThanks for your reply and am looking into this and can I ask you what company you with as it seems after 70 they quote on an individual basis.

1 hour ago, john west said:

KwasakiThanks for your reply and am looking into this and can I ask you what company you with as it seems after 70 they quote on an individual basis.

Yeah sure I put it on first page of thread, I am with thailife.com with a very reasonable premium cost negotiated on my needs and price.

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
Yeah sure I put it on first page of thread, I am with thailife.com with a very reasonable premium cost negotiated on my needs and price.

Doesn't Thailife put premiums up if you claim?

I guess all health insurers do but it would depend on the size of the claim maybe dunno I used NHS before coming to Thailand.

My premium renewal is every 6 months and due, the invoice is the same, the hospital bill they paid in July was only 12,000.

I guess all health insurers do but it would depend on the size of the claim maybe dunno I used NHS before coming to Thailand.
My premium renewal is every 6 months and due, the invoice is the same, the hospital bill they paid in July was only 12,000.
Apparently the farang ones don't, such as Bupa, PPP, the law doesn't allow them to put premiums up based on claims

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Apparently the farang ones don't, such as Bupa, PPP, the law doesn't allow them to put premiums up based on claims

Well that maybe on claims, when my company in UK I worked for paid for my private health insurance our insurance was with Bupa and it went up every year .

One year my boss said do you mine NHS treatment if needed, my answer was no not at all, I got a nice salary top up and bonus. ?

I don't think Bupa would insure me now anyway so what good are they to me in Thailand.

Edited by Kwasaki