Down's syndrome man with toy gun shot dead by Swedish police

webfact

Down's syndrome man with toy gun shot dead by Swedish police

A young man fatally shot by Swedish police while carrying a toy gun in Stockholm had Down's syndrome and a form of autism, local media report.

Officers opened fire on Eric Torell, 20, in response to what they described as a "threatening situation" in the early hours of Thursday morning.

He was reported missing after leaving home hours earlier, his family said.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45050933

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-08-03
  • Sad 1

It is unfortunate that the young man is dead, but you cannot blame the Swedish police.

Confronted in the early hours with a man carrying what looked like a real gun, and possibly waving it around, was told to drop it and didnt.

Sad thing to happen, R.I.P. young man condolences to your family.

2 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

No it was not according to Swedish media, It was looking like a real gun, but smaller than a real gun.  

Stop spreading false information.

RIP to the young guy.

"The father is shocked and amazed at the behavior of
the police.

- They say it was a replica of a gun. It was not, this 
was a miniature toy razor for a five-year-old. It's much
smaller than a regular rifle, and cheap, in plastic, 
says the dad.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:
5 hours ago, colinneil said:

It is unfortunate that the young man is dead, but you cannot blame the Swedish police.

I absolutely can, and do blame the Swedish police.

The police in the western world are totally out of control.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think you will find that it is the degrading of the western world that is the problem. i feel bad for the cops having to deal with it. the left lean media try to make the cops out to be the problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, guest879 said:

I think you will find that it is the degrading of the western world that is the problem. i feel bad for the cops having to deal with it. the left lean media try to make the cops out to be the problem.

Most cops are poorly educated thugs.

When faced with a problem, if they have a truncheon they'll bash it, if they have a gun they'll shoot it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If this was the US, the police response would be the norm and totally expected.

As it is Sweden, I suspect this is an over-reaction based on poor and panicky judgement by one officer which in turn stemmed from the rise of Islamic terrorism in Europe and the real threat faced by the public in cities like Stockholm with considerable Moslem populations. The future has arrived.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, BritManToo said:

Most cops are poorly educated thugs.

When faced with a problem, if they have a truncheon they'll bash it, if they have a gun they'll shoot it.

with everyone having cameras on their phones of course they cant actually behave in that way. cops were ok in Australia and they are even better in New Zealand.  cant imagine what it would be like without them. I feel bad for all the cops out there doing a good job who have to take this sort of abuse.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 4:30 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Awful and sad news.

In the part of the world I grew up in old folks used to refer to people with Down Syndrome as ''Innocents".

On the other hand, the police are not doctors.

1 hour ago, guest879 said:

with everyone having cameras on their phones of course they cant actually behave in that way. cops were ok in Australia and they are even better in New Zealand.  cant imagine what it would be like without them. I feel bad for all the cops out there doing a good job who have to take this sort of abuse.

Reality is even in NZ a person waving what appears to be a firearm would be given three warnings to drop the weapon. Failing to do this or if they fired they would be shot. Most likely after first warning a Police dog would be used and then perpetrator tasered.

We have to remember that the incident was in the middle of the night, before 04.00AM and it was dark, The Police had misstaken him for dangerous guy and the weapon for a real one. Somebody had called the police and told the police they have seen a man in the area with a weapon. That was why the police went to the neighbourhood. 

When the parents noticed he had escaped, they looked out the window and saw many police officers, they went out and they asked them if they had seen a man with downs syndrome, and the police first replied that they had not and they had an incident so they was not able help the parent to search for him. They asked the parent to call 112 (Swedish 911) The parents did and went out again. Later on they told them that he was shot.

I feel very sorry for this guy and his family, but I also feel sorry for the police officers involved (apparently 3 polices opened fire). Those persons has to live with this for the rest of his/her life. By the time he was shot he was not reported as missing to the police. So the Police did not know a man with downs syndrome and a toy gun was out on the streets. 

He was known by his parents to run away from home when he was upset for something, and why he brought that toy gun will probably be a mystery forever.

At least is seams like the Swedish toy stores is doing something about it and is recommended to remove all toys that can be mixed up to be  a real gun.

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2151&artikel=7013633

Edited by Eaglekott
Spelling corrections
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, BritManToo said:

You are out of control mate - get a grip on reality.

What - they should wait until the person shoots first?

Or you can tell what a real gun looks like when pointed at you from a distance at 4am?

Blocked. Life is too short.

RIP the poor boy - tragic situation.

Real human beings will know that the policemen involved will be feeling terrible about what they did for the rest of their lives.

Running around with toy, air rifles or replica guns (let alone real ones) is no longer OK for anyone due to terrorism from a certain section of society...deal with the change or deal with the paranoia of the police. As for this case then, whoever was this person's guardian/carer should know better. This sort of stuff doesn't fly anymore and is no-no period as saying the average person now being a bit jumpy at the slightest things is an understatement.

Edited by Sir Dude

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Kiwiken said:

Reality is even in NZ a person waving what appears to be a firearm would be given three warnings to drop the weapon. Failing to do this or if they fired they would be shot. Most likely after first warning a Police dog would be used and then perpetrator tasered.

sounds like a fair system. I do a lot of shooting in New Zealand and the licensing system is very good. NZ should be used as a model for sensible gun laws. lots of guns and low gun crime. love it back here after 10 years in Thailand. I used to have to scratch the itch over there with automatic BB guns.