Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

15 hours ago, smotherb said:

Gee, maybe you should wake-up. There are many families where the woman is the equal or the  better provider.

Yes -- and in at least some of those cases the gent could be referred to as a 'kept man'.

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

Yes -- and in at least some of those cases the gent could be referred to as a 'kept man'.

That would seem to bother the insecure, wouldn't it?  However, those men who have something to offer other than money may be well worth it to a financially secure woman.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Let me provide you a quote from my #475 post which started this circle, " I think you are still in the man-is-the-breadwinner mode; which sees any relationship as the man paying for it"

Yes to everything you say so what's new in the last 5000 years.

Edited by David Walden

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

Well you say they would be 'nice' but 3 women living with you sounds pretty kinky to me.

I did say I could I did not say I would.

Pls dont forget the downside with addtional mothers in laws….:shock1:

On 8/5/2018 at 4:06 AM, MaxYakov said:

My Bangkok name is "ATM". Adopted after one of my gals indicated concern that I might think that she considered me an ATM (in the same SMS asking me to deposit 1000 baht into her bank account). The satire of my telling them my adopted name is completely lost on them. This should not surprise anyone, I suppose.

May I ask why a photo of a submarine as profile pic?

The GDP of the county I grew up in, in Virginia, has a GDP of 100,000,000,000  USD with a population of only 1,300,000.  Meanwhile, LOS is 400,000,0000,000 with 50 times more people.  So per capita is 12.5 times more...yet a google of "bankruptcy lawyer fairfax county" gets 1,080,000 hits in .64 seconds.  The teachers averaging 70,000 per year have been complaining non-stop for decades that they can't make ends meet, there is a growing number of homeless panhandlers, and about 1/3 of the students are on free lunch.  So you are always going to have some who are worse off than just broke, and you will always have many doing just fine.  Nothing like the new vehicles to gobble up disposable income and keep people in debt.  GM became the largest company on earth with a marketing campaign promoting the need to buy new cars, and an engineering plan of forced obsolescence.  Seems to have caught on pretty well here complete with people buying cars costing three times their annual income.  Not even the best idea for a home that might even go up in value.  People, mostly passively, earning 45,000 pm here is suppose to be newsworthy?  Laughable.  That would put you in the top quintile of households in BKK, and if you are solo, you should be doing very well, yet there will always be a few, who just cant live within their means, have little savings, and may even need to borrow at the end of the month...kind of shameful..but sure wont stop anyone.  I prefer to avoid people that are the life of the party once a month, sometimes it isn't possible.

43 minutes ago, moontang said:

The GDP of the county I grew up in, in Virginia, has a GDP of 100,000,000,000  USD with a population of only 1,300,000.  Meanwhile, LOS is 400,000,0000,000 with 50 times more people.  So per capita is 12.5 times more...yet a google of "bankruptcy lawyer fairfax county" gets 1,080,000 hits in .64 seconds.  The teachers averaging 70,000 per year have been complaining non-stop for decades that they can't make ends meet, there is a growing number of homeless panhandlers, and about 1/3 of the students are on free lunch.  So you are always going to have some who are worse off than just broke, and you will always have many doing just fine.  Nothing like the new vehicles to gobble up disposable income and keep people in debt.  GM became the largest company on earth with a marketing campaign promoting the need to buy new cars, and an engineering plan of forced obsolescence.  Seems to have caught on pretty well here complete with people buying cars costing three times their annual income.  Not even the best idea for a home that might even go up in value.  People, mostly passively, earning 45,000 pm here is suppose to be newsworthy?  Laughable.  That would put you in the top quintile of households in BKK, and if you are solo, you should be doing very well, yet there will always be a few, who just cant live within their means, have little savings, and may even need to borrow at the end of the month...kind of shameful..but sure wont stop anyone.  I prefer to avoid people that are the life of the party once a month, sometimes it isn't possible.

I agree with some of what you say.

But, 45,000 b in BKK is not that much even for Thais.

There are a lot of wealthy Thais in BKK.  Just watch their kids spending a bunch of money in the malls over the weekend.

People do not realize there are many wealthy Thais in this country.  More then one would think.

Also, in lower Sukhumvit 45,000 b will not cut it.

Maybe at Oh Nuts one can do okay.  But, walking around Tesco twice a day is not much of a life..

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree with some of what you say.

But, 45,000 b in BKK is not that much even for Thais.

There are a lot of wealthy Thais in BKK.  Just watch their kids spending a bunch of money in the malls over the weekend.

People do not realize there are many wealthy Thais in this country.  More then one would think.

Also, in lower Sukhumvit 45,000 b will not cut it.

Maybe at Oh Nuts one can do okay.  But, walking around Tesco twice a day is not much of a life.. 

Doubt that frequent mall shopping is the ultimate key to happiness…

To live a decent life in Thailand 45.000thb/month is enough on a general basis. It doesnt give room for big spending, but enough to pay for daily needs + some extras.

This together with a good health create happiness rather than much money alone….:smile:  

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

May I ask why a photo of a submarine as profile pic?

Historical significance with me (although I believe it's a Russian missile sub). Then there is this "lurking" characteristic and the torpedos... ?

4 hours ago, balo said:

Complete nonsense!

45k will give you a normal good life in Thailand, especially if you're single. Rent is cheap so 45k goes a long way.

And many young people in Thailand live on teachers salaries 30 - 40 k. So your assumption is wrong.

45K will give you a normal good life in Thailand today.

What happens in the future when you are too old to work and have no insurance?

Working for 45K you will never save enough to see you through old age.

Then what?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jerry Cornelius said:

Which are tied to the current market price at the time of sale. Same as everything else.

Jerry

So what's your point, that that my terminology is objectionable? 

Edited by suzannegoh

Which are tied to the current market price at the time of sale. Same as everything else.   Jerry

I never said nor implied that those thing are of constant value, I just said that they could be cashed in almost immediately if necessary. If its wrong to call them liquid, you point it is taken, but it seems a bit pedantic harp on an a trivial point like that.   

31 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

So what's your point, that that my terminology is objectionable? 

Not at all. Not faulting your terminology.

Just expanding on that information to indicate that those options are volatile and not a guaranteed return of the initial investment, 

Pretty much the same with every 'investment'.

Jerry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balo said:

I pay 10k for my Thai insurance , it does not cover everything , like cancer, but it covers minor illnesses and x-rays etc .   

If I have to move back to my home country if I need treatment  I can do it in a hurry , since I have another savings account in Norway . And healthcare is free over there.  So there is always a way out. I do not intend to die in Thailand. 

Ideally , if I'm healthy at old age , I could live 6 months in Norway and 6 months in Thailand , so I can enjoy the warm weather . 

I love Norway! My grandfather died in Canada after living 80 years of a very good, happy & contributing productive life. He helped establish X-country skiing in my hometown & an award is presented in his name to the one who demonstrates the "true spirit" of skiing.

His ashes were brought back to Norway & scattered over the countryside near his birthplace.

Norway is a very beautiful place. It's too bad Thailand can't follow in providing similar social benefits

Edited by Sheryl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparkles said:

The elephant in the room is health insurance.Once over 70 seems impossible to get cover.If I'm wrong please tell me

When I am back in Australia I am entitled to Govt Medicare cover.  When I leave it stops.   If I'm out of the country and have medical problem and can get back to Aus I'm still covered.  Having private cover as well is suspended whilst out of the country but I must still pay the premium, so I let it lapse after 31 years with Medibank Private.  Travel insurance only covers you for repairing you enough so that the insurers can transport you back to Aus so you can receive the free Govt. hospital treatment in Aus.  Travel insurance does not does not cover you for any pre-existing problems nor do most cover you if you are over 70 Y/O.  I'm 76 none of these insurers will provide any cover for me. I;m in fairly good health for my age  My only worry which I don't give a hoot about is if I have a catastrophic injury or sickness.  I do have a enough cash reserves (I think) to get back Aus to get the free Govt hospital and medical treatment.

• Like 2

So the real answer here is -- if you intend to spend your latter years in Thailand -- to get health insurance that covers you here in Thailand before you are too old or have too many pre-existing conditions to get it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, balo said:

I pay 10k for my Thai insurance , it does not cover everything , like cancer, but it covers minor illnesses and x-rays etc .   

If I have to move back to my home country if I need treatment  I can do it in a hurry , since I have another savings account in Norway . And healthcare is free over there.  So there is always a way out. I do not intend to die in Thailand. 

Ideally , if I'm healthy at old age , I could live 6 months in Norway and 6 months in Thailand , so I can enjoy the warm weather . 

They, that is "many people" in Thailand have been talking about basic heath and accident cover for farangs and holiday makers in Thailand sponsored by the Thai Govt. for many years.  That is a cover witch is first diagnosed as an accident or sickness in Thailand and whilst you are staying in Thailand...I'd like to know if any progress is being made, how much it might cost and above all where to find it.  Perhaps an excess would appropriate to avoid frivolous claims or just provide repatriation to their home country which have free hospital and medical services (almost free like Australia).

With the digital age machines similar to bank ATMS could be placed at entry points to the country to dispense policies for this cove.   (perhaps this question should be in a new subject?

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, Maradona 10 said:

This forum is completely OBSESSED with health insurance. When I'm out and about I very rarely hear this talked about but on here it gets done to death on a daily basis.

Well depending on how many years or decades you have lived in Thailand...you will have heard the many horror stories or go fund me plea's of those that had none.

Your not in Kansas anymore Dorthy

On 8/5/2018 at 10:07 AM, brianp0803 said:

Many Thai people earn less than 15,000 baht a month. If someone make three to four times their salary would be considered rich enough  to have enough money to share with them.

Many expat over 50 living in Thailand very likely have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars.

Not sure what ivory tower you are living in but most expats I know are living on their pensions and not much else 

• Like 1