Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

I will third that if the beer is cold.  Saw a SIngha promo girl in my lobby this evening....She was with a Thai man, or I would have asked her where was the promo, and forget that I only drink Heineken and Tiger....she was looking good.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2018 at 1:12 PM, William C F Pierce said:

I did a calculation of what it cost me to live in Thailand for 4  months a year including a house I rent. Comfortably I can live on   14,000 Baht a month. Including going out a couple of times a week. The biggest expense is 8,000 Baht to rent a house. I have a bicycle to travel around on. So free travel. I buy good silk shirts from China because it is cheaper than Thailand. I don't see any need to throw money around as if to give an impression of being a Billionaire, because real Billionaires don,t throw it around. Afterall money is only a tool to acquire what you need to live on or achieve something you want within reason. QUESTION. Is there any need to have money to use it to show off?

Having money to show off and not having any and having to travel around on a bicycle in the Thai heat and humidity are another story.

Silk shirts? Those went out of style 30 years ago. Who wears silk is such high humidity?

There is a huge difference between throwing money around and living like a pauper.

Must be fun grocery shopping on a bicycle!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I went to get 3 bottles of beer on my bicycle this morning, no problems, they fit in that little basket on the front.

Already drunk them, want more, but don't think the bicycle is a good idea at the moment.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, Maradona 10 said:

My experience in living here for many years is that you have 2 types of 'expats' say below retirement years, either the ones that work here on modest salaries, or the dodgy types, ie criminals...

You must mix in very different circles to me. I have met people from all walks of life here. I am nowhere near retirement age and don't come close to fitting into either of your classifications. Neither do my close circle of non Thai friends or larger group of acquaintances.

Both of your examples sound like quite unhappy existences. Thailand is a nice place to stay - with conditions. There is no way I would stay here without ample compensation for doing so. The relaxed day to day lifestyle, good food, outwardly friendly local people, interesting locations and the like does not counter completely the real danger to life, the red tape for mundane tasks, abhorrent congestion, pollution and visa uncertainty.

Monetary compensation needs to be used to help keep the 'pro' staying in Thailand palatable for me.

As for expenditure, I rarely spend more than 20K a month for general expenditure. This excludes rent and annual insurances and flights somewhere every 2 months or so. If I drank a lot, I could easily spend more. But I prefer a few nice restaurant a month without the hangovers.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Having money to show off and not having any and having to travel around on a bicycle in the Thai heat and humidity are another story.

Walking and riding around on a bicycle gives you good health, even in this heat , 

A normal BMI (body mass index)  is important , especially when you get older.

I see too many obese farangs here in Thailand over 50 , they look 10-20 years older than their age  and will probably not be around after 75 .  

It's never too late to start changing your lifestyle. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

For example, if i make 30k my gf and I can live fine. If i make 60k my gf and i can live fine along with her extended family. So what is the use in earning it?

1. You gain value in the eyes of your gf (and her e-family)

2. Your gf gains value in the eyes of her e-family

3. Both your gf and you accumulate merit.

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

Let us just assume this poll is more or less correct. The reason is, the more money you bring in here, the faster it will go. For example, if i make 30k my gf and I can live fine. If i make 60k my gf and i can live fine along with her extended family. So what is the use in earning it? 

It is called being a man and being strong and having high expectations for oneself.  Working hard and being successful in life to make a better life for oneself, and significant others.

If one is happy with $1,000 a month, hey great. That is actually below the lowest poverty level in my country.

It is important for some to show some type of successful legacy.  Maybe not look back on their lives as a big financial/life failure.

Sorry, $1000 a month is a big big life failure in my book.

I would list it in the loser category. 

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

Let us just assume this poll is more or less correct. The reason is, the more money you bring in here, the faster it will go. For example, if i make 30k my gf and I can live fine. If i make 60k my gf and i can live fine along with her extended family. So what is the use in earning it? 

This makes no sense what so ever.

34 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

That is actually below the lowest poverty level in my country.

I knew loads of old folk in the UK living on the state pension of 450 quid a month.

It's how old people the world over normally live.

Boomer money/lifestyle is atypical, didn't happen in history, probably won't happen in our children's future.

• Like 1

I knew loads of old folk in the UK living on the state pension of 450 quid a month.

It's how old people the world over normally live.

Boomer money/lifestyle is atypical, didn't happen in history, probably won't happen in our children's future.

That's for pensioners. But how much do people typically earn in Britain during their prime working years? He can speak for himself but I think that what he is getting at is that merely subsisting during your prime years is not a very good plan.

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Silk shirts? Those went out of style 30 years ago. Who wears silk is such high humidity?

There is a huge difference between throwing money around and living like a pauper.

The bicycle has 2 pannier bags. I don't need a lot of shopping. Large bottle of milk bought once a week breakfast cereals, a large jar of coffee and sugar that lasts more than a month. Eating out is only 40 to 90 Baht a day. I have an adequate TV to use when required and friends I can socialize with. I find riding a bike in the sun enjoyable as do quite a number of other people. Not everyone needs an extravagant lifestyle. My cost of living in the UK is considerably cheaper (5500 Baht a month no rent to pay) still in the UK  with free travel on public transport. I just don't like its unpredictable weather from year to year in the UK Thus I am able to save for the fare to Thailand quite easily.

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

• Like 1

Are any of us posters here in our prime years?

I'm just eking out my last few days while waiting for death.

I don't know how old the participants in this thread are but some have said that there are working and in some parts of Thailand, such as Chiang Mai, there are a lot of young farangs supporting themselves by doing things like teaching English or digital nomading.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

All the while enjoying this lovely thread about lifestyle standards and the definitive life competition....

?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I am, statistically speaking, not at my peak earning years yet.

I hope you are enjoying every sandwich, getting joy from the little things in life each day. Seeing sunrises and sunsets, feeling the wind on your skin. I certainly want those sort of things to be some of the last things I remember when I reach the time of life you are at.

I hope you are well.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 2