Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

I bring in over 100,000 baht a month into Thailand which is just one of my income sources (VA pension income). I couldn’t imagine living here on less than at least 60,000 baht a month! But living here on less than 40,000 baht a month is very possible to do although if you’re retired would you really want to live on that little? Probably not I know we couldn’t maintain our standard of living on that little.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, Fred white said:

During the dry cooler months we just use a fan if our house had of been insulated and a whole house fan installed most of the year we wouldn't use a/c but as it is when we run the a/c it's set at 27 

Does that save money ?

i have never thought of that and always run it at 18 or 19 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Did you say 4,800 baht a month rent,or am i reading that wrong?

is that for a Studio size apartment in Bangkok ?

4800 studio central Bangkok. 600m from MRT. Quiet..birds even in the morning. Tidy, security, restaurant, laundry and laundry service. 20-40 min walk to four malls or 1-2 MRT stops. 

Room is about 30sqm perhaps a bit less. I think the flat in the other bldg a bit larger but overlooking the courtyard not greenspace.

When we came in 8 years ago the room in the other bldg, lower floor was only 4200.

It's not so much the savings here but the amenities. It's really hard to beat. I don't see condos for 20k offering much more if anything. A few M more of space. 

TM30 they are totally on top of it.

• Like 1

I have no idea .
Im not tech savvy sorry 

can u still get all shows including Australian TV , Bloomberg etc 
I don't know about Australian TV but for German TV they almost stream or VOD every show. For free. Apart from that I have Netflix and of course YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

4800 studio central Bangkok. 600m from MRT. Quiet..birds even in the morning. Tidy, security, restaurant, laundry and laundry service. 20-40 min walk to four malls or 1-2 MRT stops. 

Room is about 30sqm perhaps a bit less. I think the flat in the other bldg a bit larger but overlooking the courtyard not greenspace.

When we came in 8 years ago the room in the other bldg, lower floor was only 4200.

It's not so much the savings here but the amenities. It's really hard to beat. I don't see condos for 20k offering much more if anything. A few M more of space. 

I guess if you can live in a small studio with your partner then kudo’s to you but sometimes i like to be alone 

I dont imagine there would be cooking stove in there ?

11 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess if you can live in a small studio with your partner then kudo’s to you but sometimes i like to be alone 

I dont imagine there would be cooking stove in there ?

My wife and myself work. She's not home till 730 so I have time to myself. On the weekends it's fine as we don't see much of one another during the week. 

We have a hot plate so she can cook on the weekend. Im perfectly happy paying to go out but she likes to cook so this saves even more money. I enjoy Thai food and while I might make a ham sandwich on occasion have no desire to cook farang food despite being a pretty good cook myself. We do have two sinks so we don't wash dishes in the toilet. That would put me off just being too small and inefficient.

We'll keep the arrangement for another four years. I'll hit 62. Move south or maybe back to USA. 

Right now my wife is sleeping. I'm reading and having coffee.

I work about 45+ hours a week as well.

The place feels very homey and comfy and we know all the staff so the vibe is good. It's past the phase of being just another box. I'm so transient or was before I'd married that I've never lived in one place such a long time.

Before I met my wife I needed my space but she's lovely, ever tidy and far more ez going than l. Ten years never felt burdened or driven for a need to get away a bit.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

6 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I just came back from sukhumvit to Australia, Atleast in australia we have alot of bargains.

For examlple i had a burger, chips and a coke for 1$ yesterday here in brisbane, where as in bangkok the same meal is 7-8$.

thailand is a ripoff , Those bar girls are all greedy and scammy, Mostly out looking for the next rich guy to scheme on.

Well if u are worrying about the cost of a burger, then clearly a bar girl that scams u ain't getting much

34 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

My wife and myself work. She's not home till 730 so I have time to myself. On the weekends it's fine as we don't see much of one another during the week. 

We have a hot plate so she can cook on the weekend. Im perfectly happy paying to go out but she likes to cook so this saves even more money. I enjoy Thai food and while I might make a ham sandwich on occasion have no desire to cook farang food despite being a pretty good cook myself. We do have two sinks so we don't wash dishes in the toilet. That would put me off just being too small and inefficient.

We'll keep the arrangement for another four years. I'll hit 62. Move south or maybe back to USA. 

Right now my wife is sleeping. I'm reading and having coffee.

I work about 45+ hours a week as well.

The place feels very homey and comfy and we know all the staff so the vibe is good. It's past the phase of being just another box. I'm so transient or was before I'd married that I've never lived in one place such a long time.

Before I met my wife I needed my space but she's lovely, ever tidy and far more ez going than l. Ten years never felt burdened or driven for a need to get away a bit.

Dude ya seem like a wonderful guy and am glad u are happy, but having seen 4800 baht studios please don't try to convince us it's livable.

And please define central BKK. 

But hey prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Apart from twice the space (& I suspect twice the number of bedrooms) Pool, Gym, Security & being stumbling distance to the BTS (If I tripped leaving the gates of my Condo I'd land on the BTS steps) ... Oh & Shopping mall, Supermarket, Cinema nextdoor..... 

...But apart from that... what have the Romans ever done for us (Life of Brian fans will get it, apologies to everybody else ????)

Edit to add: I could never live in a Studio, spent 20+ years living 80% of my time in hotels for work & it drove me crazy, so whilst I would be happy with 30sqm if there was a wall between the living area & the bedroom, I couldn't live in a 100sqm Studio.

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have no idea .

Im not tech savvy sorry 

can u still get all shows including Australian TV , Bloomberg etc 

Why would anyone want Australian TV?

Worst production values in the western world.

When I download TV series to watch, I purposely avoid anything made in Australia.

(Although it's all posted on RARBG)

Watched John Wick 3 last night, bloody rubbish.

Edited by BritManToo

On August 4, 2018 at 11:43 PM, david555 said:

how long you are in Thailand ..? never heard about visa agents who borrow short time (24 hours) the needed baht & stamp service for a price ...

I knew so many people with rubber visas, paperwork is all legit, it's rampant. Went to a big dinner party one night with my girlfriend, not one retiree had a legit visa, all bought, never had a problem ever, any of them. My girlfriend was a lawyer by the way. The only ones bitching are the ones not doing this. 

Okay im waiting for the replies, but what if you get caught etc etc etc, move on, or a brown envelope solves ( almost ) anything. 

They are all in on it, everyone is making money, it's Thailand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Really do love the guys who say they can afford to leave 800K in the bank but don't do so on some principal or other & then go on to call us guys who do "Brain Washed" (Or worse), just speaks volumes.

Well said.

The guys that stand by their principles are the salt of the earth.

We will all be forced out soon enough. Better to hold your head high than have to crawl across the floor of swampy on your knees.

Everyone (farang) in LOS needs to get ready for the awakening. I'm ready.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Apart from twice the space (& I suspect twice the number of bedrooms) Pool, Gym, Security & being stumbling distance to the BTS (If I tripped leaving the gates of my Condo I'd land on the BTS steps) ... Oh & Shopping mall, Supermarket, Cinema nextdoor..... 

...But apart from that... what have the Romans ever done for us (Life of Brian fans will get it, apologies to everybody else ????)

Edit to add: I could never live in a Studio, spent 20+ years living 80% of my time in hotels for work & it drove me crazy, so whilst I would be happy with 30sqm if there was a wall between the living area & the bedroom, I couldn't live in a 100sqm Studio.

Whatever. You looking for a prize for spending your money? My point is while I have sufficient funds in the US and bank three times what I spend in Thailand alone - we are content. You have well strayed off topic.

Dividing walls are ridiculous in small places especially living alone. They cut precious air circulation from the windows. I understand your ocd desire to compartmentalize but Thai design under 40sqm does not support this imo.

I don't need all that stupid stuff you mention and if I did I'd go buy a gym membership rather than suffer whatever the condo tossed at me. Not to mention the poor financial decision of owning one in the first place or the poor life choice of setting into Bangkok for ones retirement.

Im 3 minutes from 711 and 7 minutes from Max Value. Ten minutes from one of the largest open markets left in BKK. 15 minute walk to Big C. Ten mins to MRT.

Horses for courses. 

Also extremely pleased the apartment has the TM30 sorted.

Edited by Number 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude ya seem like a wonderful guy and am glad u are happy, but having seen 4800 baht studios please don't try to convince us it's livable.

And please define central BKK. 

But hey prove me wrong.

Is 600m from MRT and 150m from a huge main artery of the city central enough for you? I'm prolly more in central BKK than you honestly. Takes me 7 minutes to get to Sukhhumvhit.

I've been here eight years. Every time we think about moving we just stay put. Crappy 20k condos offer the exact same space, less the amenities add some crappy gym. Add some bs landlord not wanting to hassle fixing things, refunding deposits or TM30. Up to you.

In addition to all mentioned it's also a straight 4km shot down one road for my wife if she has to drive to work.

It's a nice place too. Many execs keep a room here and go out to their homes on weekends. Lots of decent cars in the lot. 

So I just laugh all the way to the bank. Been in Asia 30 years. Settled in Thailand 10. I think I know value and this place is a bargain.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Care to explain why (if you have the funds) leaving 800k (< £20k) in a Thai bank account is any different than leaving it in a UK (or your home country) account apart from the fact you get more interest & pay less tax leaving it in Thailand.

I left my pension in the pension fund for an extra 4 years, earned me 20,000GBP on top of the 4 years worth of pension payments (and all tax free). So yes it was worth leaving it in the UK, rather than taking the money and putting it in a Thai bank.

Don't understand all the nonsense about the 800k, it''s nothing new it's just enforced now and rightfully so, many of us stay here without medical insurance or sufficient funds in case of an emergency. 800k in the bank is a reasonable amount to require, its not like you have to PAY it, you just have to HAVE it.

Try emigrating to Australia as a non Australian for retirement and be amazed that your visa application alone cost 12.999 Aussie dollars. Nevermind the 750k Aus that you need to invest in a government fund just to get your visa..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not sure if you missed my sarcasm or I'm missing yours but let's cut the bolox... The only reason guys don't leave 800K in the bank is because they can't afford to do so

No shame in that, but no need to call us guys who do/can "Brain Dead" or worse... 

I totally agree.

• Like 1