Male model falls to death from Rama VIII Bridge into river

webfact

Male model falls to death from Rama VIII Bridge into river

By The Nation

r8.jpg

FILE photo

A fashion model fell to his death from Bangkok’s Rama VIII Bridge into the Chao Phraya river on Sunday afternoon.

Boworn Mongkol police were informed that Thammasorn Chaphakdee, 26, plunged from the middle of the bridge on the Thon Buri-Bangkok side of the road.

The fashion model’s iPhone, a power bank and sandals were later found on the bridge.

Scuba divers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation searched for his body until dusk but failed to find him.

Thammasorn's uncle, Pracha Chaphakdee, 50, told police that his nephew had some financial difficulties after a friend withdrew his stake from a joint spa project.

A local resident, Wirat Singharn, 40, told police that he was fishing under the bridge when he heard a noise in the water.

He turned around and saw a man trying to swim ashore but he disappeared about 50 metres from the bank.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351515

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-06

26 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

He turned around and saw a man trying to swim ashore but he disappeared about 50 metres from the bank .   then turned back and carried on fishing??

At this time of year with flow in the river in all honesty all I would do is shout encouragement, and then call the authorities.

Read about a guy who let go of the rail on the wrong side of a high bridge's walkway.  He said he had no solution for his problems until he let go.  At that moment, he found his problem solvable.  Sadly, he was about to injure himself gravely, but survive to tell others your problems are not as bad as you think

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

At this time of year with flow in the river in all honesty all I would do is shout encouragement, and then call the authorities.

You mean like “you made your decision, now live with it”, or some variation of that?

53 minutes ago, overherebc said:

No. Because jumping into that river would result in two deaths, not one.

How do you know? 

I cross there everyday... Why make a BS statement when you are probably not even in Bangkok or for that matter Thailand. 

28 minutes ago, RT555 said:

How do you know? 

I cross there everyday... Why make a BS statement when you are probably not even in Bangkok or for that matter Thailand. 

If you cross that river everyday you probably do it close to the area where my wife and self have a house very close to the river. We don't live there full time, 50/50 with the house near the beach and 'not pattaya.'

A lot of the river has vertical side walls and depending on time, tide or flow those can be 1 to 2 metres above water level.

The flow can be very fast at times, slow at others depending on tide effect and other factors.

So, as neither you or me know what the banks at the time were, high vertical concrete or sloping natural type banks nor do we know how fast the flow was what  is your basis for a personal attack on me?

In my 30 years here there is a good chance I've crossed that river more times than you but I'm not calling BS on your crossing every day.

Never 'assume' the ass and u come before me.

Have a good day.

34 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

something fishy in this story 

suicide? 

Murder? 

Insurance scam? 

Body not found meaby he turn up later, time will tell.. 

Wow.

I'll go for, the few fish that manage to survive in the water have had a good meal rather than trying to live on the plastic bags.

1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

suicide? 

Murder? 

Insurance scam? 

And if the body turns up you'll be making an apology right?

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

He turned around and saw a man trying to swim ashore but he disappeared about 50 metres from the bank .   then turned back and carried on fishing??

Although it doesnt state that he just turned his back and carried in fishing .

It is beyond most peoples abilities to swim 50 meters and then 50 meters back carrying someone else and if the current was taking him , he wouldnt have reached him anyway

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although it doesnt state that he just turned his back and carried in fishing .

It is beyond most peoples abilities to swim 50 meters and then 50 meters back carrying someone else and if the current was taking him , he wouldnt have reached him anyway

Was it you fishing? it also doesn't state anything about a non swimming fisherman or anything about current either?

16 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Fell----jumped?  Sad really.

Personal effects left on the bridge prior to falling?

In my mind this is the equivalent of a suicide note.

Always sad when someone dies but, are we all supposed to spend our lives walking around with sad mournful faces everytime there is a report of someone we have no idea existed or is part of our immediate lives, decides to top themselves?

Not a dedicated reply by the way.

Just a comment.

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Was it you fishing? it also doesn't state anything about a non swimming fisherman or anything about current either?

The river usually has a strong current , especially in rainy season .

You would have to be a very good swimmer, perhaps even a trained life guard , to be able to swim 50 meters  and then 50 meters back carrying someone else swimming backstroke .

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

So the male model survived the fall but died due to drowning? Tragic...but goes to show that Thailand urgently needs to teach it's citizens to swim. I find it embarrassing that in a country with so much ocean so few people can swim. Thais always comment on how well I swim - I'm like...it's normal. Don't they teach you that in school?

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The river usually has a strong current , especially in rainy season .

You would have to be a very good swimmer, perhaps even a trained life guard , to be able to swim 50 meters  and then 50 meters back carrying someone else swimming backstroke .

So just surmising the same as me then? 

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

If you cross that river everyday you probably do it close to the area where my wife and self have a house very close to the river. We don't live there full time, 50/50 with the house near the beach and 'not pattaya.'

A lot of the river has vertical side walls and depending on time, tide or flow those can be 1 to 2 metres above water level.

The flow can be very fast at times, slow at others depending on tide effect and other factors.

So, as neither you or me know what the banks at the time were, high vertical concrete or sloping natural type banks nor do we know how fast the flow was what  is your basis for a personal attack on me?

In my 30 years here there is a good chance I've crossed that river more times than you but I'm not calling BS on your crossing every day.

Never 'assume' the ass and u come before me.

Have a good day.

Yesterday I was in my boat with some friends just a couple of KM upstream from Rama VIII bridge. Bunches of kids were swimming as is usual. The river is neither particularly high or low at the moment and since I often tie up at various places along the way so am acutely aware of the tides and direction of flow.

That part of the Chao Phraya river is about 280 metres wide so the furthest someone would need to swim to reach the side is 140 metres. I could swim that effortlessly no matter how strong the current.

Sorry but those are the facts.

7 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

So just surmising the same as me then? 

Not really , you made the claim that the angler just turned his back and carried on fishing .

It wasnt stated what action /inaction that the angler took .

But its a fact that you would have to be a good swimmer and possibly a trained lifeguard to be able to 100 meters , 50 of those meters swimming on your back rescuing someone 

1 hour ago, nahkit said:
2 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

suicide? 

Murder? 

Insurance scam? 

And if the body turns up you'll be making an apology right?

Apology for what?? 

6 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Yesterday I was in my boat with some friends just a couple of KM upstream from Rama VIII bridge. Bunches of kids were swimming as is usual. The river is neither particularly high or low at the moment and since I often tie up at various places along the way so am acutely aware of the tides and direction of flow.

That part of the Chao Phraya river is about 280 metres wide so the furthest someone would need to swim to reach the side is 140 metres. I could swim that effortlessly no matter how strong the current.

Sorry but those are the facts.

So the tide conditions flow conditions were exactly the same as when the guy jumped?

And the guy fishing was as young and as fit as you are?

Any chance the guy fishing was maybe in his 60's 70's whatever and maybe had trouble running 40 metres let alone swimming 140 metres?

Try again.

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:
50 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Fell----jumped?  Sad really.

Personal effects left on the bridge prior to falling?

In my mind this is the equivalent of a suicide note.

Or a selfie gone bad.  Wouldn't be the first time someone put down their smartphone to get into a better spot for a dramatic selfie, and lost their balance.

I have no clue what happened.  But any conclusion is a little bit premature.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So the tide conditions flow conditions were exactly the same as when the guy jumped?

And the guy fishing was as young and as fit as you are?

Any chance the guy fishing was maybe in his 60's 70's whatever and maybe had trouble running 40 metres let alone swimming 140 metres?

Try again.

This is what you wrote.

No. Because jumping into that river would result in two deaths, not one.

I was just pointing out that that is an exaggeration of the facts, which it is.

Archived