Getting a Non-O in Tokyo?

Hi guys.

I managed to get my Thai bank account, get married, and because I had my marriage certificate, the nice guy at the immigration in Ubon gave me another 60 days, just recently. I now have had the required money in my bank for a while, and the wife wants to visit Tokyo, so do I, in fact. I have a friend there that can show us around and it would be great.

I just wanted to ask, what are my chances of getting a Non-Immigrant O visa in Tokyo? We are both tired of Savannakhet because it isn't the most exciting place in the world, especially after several very uninteresting trips.

If Tokyo is impossible, are there any other places we could visit for a holiday whilst getting my Non O visa at the same time?

She also would like to go to Angkor Wat, and I know Siem Reap doesn't have the facility, but I gather an agent can send your documents to Phnom Penh whilst you check out the temples?

I know at Savannakhet I can get my visa without too much hassle but we would really like to go somewhere more stimulating and kill two birds with one stone. 

Malaysia is out of the question, same with Singapore. So if anyone knows about getting visas in Japan, Korea, or other surrounding countries, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I just wanted to ask, what are my chances of getting a Non-Immigrant O visa in Tokyo?

No chance. They will only issue visas to citizens and permanent residents of Japan.

You could apply for the non-o visa at Ubon immigration if you have the money in the bank.

Most nearby embassies and consulate will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

1 minute ago, pr9spk said:

Could we go to Siem Reap for maybe a week and wait whilst my Non-o application is posted to Phnom Penh? 

You would have to find an agent to do it Siem Reap to do it for you. I have only seen posts about getting tourist visas that way.

Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City would also be an option.

Maybe I should just go to Savannakhet and make sure that I get it? The Ubon people told me to go immediately to them after getting it because they want to start 90 day reporting for me.

But Savannakhet has got to be a pretty crappy place for a honeymoon!

Edited by pr9spk

I first visited Laos many, many years ago when you could get a guesthouse room for $1 and a packet of cigarettes for $0.50. Now taxis in Savannakhet are charging 200 Baht to go from the crossing into the town. Times have certainly changed, and the lovely thing about Laos was always was that it was quaint and cheap.

Now that it isn't so cheap, I don't see any attraction. The immigration people have become ruder, the costs have skyrocketed, but what you get in return is no better than what you got 15 years ago.

And the food is awful, although that's only my opinion after eating in Thailand for so long.

It does have beautiful scenery and waterfalls, that's for sure. But for me the attraction is long gone.

Edited by pr9spk