Chaos and Khao San Road: LET IT BE

webfact

It won't last; crackdowns never do.  Pavement vendors were cleared from Suk between Nana and Asoke.  My grandson, after a fruitless search of something affordable in Terminal 21, was delighted to find all the brandname T shirts he desired at dusk when the police clocked off for the night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

Backpackers will keep on coming to Thailand in the same way as a flock of sheep keep moving through a gap until the farmer actually closes the gate.  Remember, these soldiers who have somehow been allowed  to play at being a government, rather than harmlessly being confined to their army bases, have Singapore as their template for the development of Thailand, and what a dull soul-less and barack-like place THAT is.

Singapore is awesome, it's Asia on Western standards.

The streetvendors can go to other thai cities so the backpackers can meet them there.

Who wants to eat from those filthy streetcarts when there's a great clean foodcourt in every mall like in singapore? 

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

One tourist family staying for a week in Krabi probably spends more money in thailand that 100 backpackers staying on khao san road. I do not blame the Thais for this. It is a good move and they are obviously saying they do not want those types of visitors any more. Have one of these backpackers push up against you on the bts before you disagree with me. 

I doubt that your number are right..  But hey I would not let facts come in the way of a good argument.

Lets say the family spends 10.000 per night on living and 10.000 per day on food. I would say one backpacker spends more then 200 bt per day and not all tourist families live in 10.000 bt a night lodging. 

I guess you just hate backpackers and try to justify your bias with false numbers. I live in BKK never had a problem with backpackers. But I am not a GOM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

Stopped reading after this gem of pure fiction.

Seriously. How detached from reality are these people? In my experience, they rather seem allergic to order. People cannot even manage walking in a straight line or up and down steps properly without trying to squeeze 4 lanes of walking traffic where there should be 2.

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Thian said:

Singapore is awesome, it's Asia on Western standards.

The streetvendors can go to other thai cities so the backpackers can meet them there.

Who wants to eat from those filthy streetcarts when there's a great clean foodcourt in every mall like in singapore? 

Ha Ha.

Singapore is the most boring place on the planet.

full to the brim, with foreign rich twits.

the locals are so far up themselves they use toilet paper on there tongues

Next years new law,   is 12 months jail time for farting in public.

and the most disappointing Hooters i have ever been to. :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 2

I have never been to Khao san road because having read about it, it doesn't seem to be a place I would want to visit.

To be fair there are millions of people who seem to love going there. Now I know we have many many members here who also hate Khao san road and for some reason they are happy it is being cleaned up, I do wonder how they will feel once the backpackers decide it is no longer the place for them and they move onto neighbourhoods anew. 

I do so hope they move to places those who want Khao san to change for no reason live. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One point about street food vendors and i see this all over,is if they are frying things they pour the oil down the drain at the time they close up,this with all the other crap that goes in there is one of the reasons streets flood during heavy downpours.

Edited by marko kok prong
spelling
  • Like 2

I rather think that the effort is to push everyone into the malls. For example this is set up/marketed/organised to be just like street food. Of course it is not and (I will try anything once), has to be the most depressing batches of "street food" I have ever eaten.

Central Embassy "Street Food"

If anyone actually knows the economics behind it , it would interesting to see. For example are they hired staff or renting space etc etc

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Got to disagree.

One of life's little irritations is the way stalls force people into the road, especially during the rainy season. 

There’s a stall at the end of my soi which completely blocks the path forcing me to walk round it to get to the path or cross to the other side. 

Normally this is ok, but during the rainy season the road floods very quickly and to a depth above the ankle.

The amount of filth floating in it is foul.

Really hate having to stand in it.  

My god - you are forced to walk all the way around it? That vendor certainly should be deprived of earning a living so that you are not inconvenienced...

12 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

My god - you are forced to walk all the way around it? That vendor certainly should be deprived of earning a living so that you are not inconvenienced...

They are blocking the whole path.

They should not be there. 

I don’t mind walking round, I do mind walking through a river of shit. 

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Got to disagree.

One of life's little irritations is the way stalls force people into the road, especially during the rainy season. 

There’s a stall at the end of my soi which completely blocks the path forcing me to walk round it to get to the path or cross to the other side. 

Normally this is ok, but during the rainy season the road floods very quickly and to a depth above the ankle.

The amount of filth floating in it is foul.

Really hate having to stand in it. 

oh what an irritation it must be for you .....god help ya