The Shinawatras and the global diplomatic merry-go-round

webfact

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Someone wisely commented on here that if the Shins entered UK on non-Thai passports (the Thai ones having been revoked) then extradition to Thailand is a non-starter.

QED.

Doesn't sound wise to me. The ability of Country A to request extradition of an individual from Country B is not based on either the nationality of the individual or the passport that that individual used to enter Country B.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, car720 said:

British Foreign Minister, "Thailand? Where did you say that was?"

"Indo China, but I thought the French owned that?"

"No way we are helping the frogs Prime Minister."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

No no, he said 'Taiwan', that's China. We can't speak Chinese so ignore the whole thing'.

2 hours ago, candide said:

Ahem. By a Thai court, and additionally with a Junta in power.

Nope,  the PPP were in power in 2008 when he jumped bail and fled.

Not sure what the "by a Thai court" reference has to do with it, were you expecting Thai cases to be tried in the country of your choice?

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I always thought the best diplomat was the one who could tell you to go to hell in such a way that you looked forward to the journey.

Todays diplomat is one that is expected to kiss ass and offer a smile of approval while the country he is in go on enslaving their own people.The Canadan Ambassador showed some balls in Saudi last week and was kicked out of country. Cheers To You CANADA.

• Like 2

The answer is simple.Most countries will just revoke their passports thus having them applying for homeless status in that country or as in Taksin's case he was "awarded" a passport in Cambodia for donations while he was there then he "legally" invested in the country of Montenegro.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thaksin was convicted when his own party was in power.

Well, while the case has been initiated under Sonthi's government, and the investigation,  indicticment and issuance of arrest warrants occured under Surayud's government, it is true that the final judgement occured during the unstable 10 months period between Surayud and Abhisit governments.

Edited by candide

4 hours ago, nahkit said:

Not sure what the "by a Thai court" reference has to do with it, were you expecting Thai cases to be tried in the country of your choice?

I find it quite interesting that while Thai courts are highly criticised, some members (maybe the same who criticise Thai courts in other cases, i.e the Kho Tao case) suddenly find them perfectly virtuous when the case has a political dimension.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, candide said:

I find it quite interesting that while Thai courts are highly criticised, some members (maybe the same who criticise Thai courts in other cases, i.e the Kho Tao case) suddenly find them perfectly virtuous when the case has a political dimension.

That depends, the paymaster has been convicted and sentenced (a non political case no matter how some will try to twist it), and he's been charged with many other offences and in many of these cases solid evidence has already been seen.  Never the less there are regular claims that the cases are politically motivated.

On the broad front, the whole subject is a mess with little doubt that folks of all colour persuasions will / claimed claimed that various cases are politically motivated and also the reverse many will use politics to 'encourage' or 'decry' guilt. 

53 minutes ago, candide said:
5 hours ago, nahkit said:

But you didn't find it interesting enough to address the fact that the PPP were in power when he skipped bail?

Didn't fit in with your concept of Thai justice right?

Let me know if you can find a post where I have ever criticised the Kho Tao case.

Edited by nahkit

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Boring...

Get off your soap box SC. You could also do a McHale's Navy style TV show; General as Binghamton and Benny as Carpenter. McHale (Mr T) would always be one step ahead. Take some happy pills or have another bottle of rum.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JAG said:

Having read the original post twice (Oh goodness me, wasn't it a struggle) I am left with the impression that The United Kingdom has had a narrow escape! 

A narrow escape from exactly what is not clear... 

From terminal stupidity (at least in this case) I feel....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

It is? I doubt the British government would see it that way. And I very much doubt it's particularly concerned.

True! Don't think Elizabeth will abdicate over this piddling issue. 

• Haha 1