‘If in doubt, don’t go out” – ISLA warnings: Phuket

webfact

‘If in doubt, don’t go out” – ISLA warnings

By The Thaiger

IMG-4402.jpg

The International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA) is recommending that Phuket’s exposed west coast beaches be closed to swimmers, until current conditions subside.

The following warnings are in effect:

• High surf

• Dangerous shorebreak

• Severe pip currents in some locations

• High winds

• Sudden squalls

• Rapid beach erosion in some areas

A warning means these conditions are imminent or are already occurring.

“Short-period waves of 2-3 metres are battering Phuket’s west coast beaches. Sudden squalls can produce dangerous winds and surf height can increase quickly. 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/if-in-doubt-dont-go-out-isla-warnings

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-08

Why is this warning coming from ISLA?

Why not from the  local contracted surf lifesavers, or the Marine Department, who should have a  better knowledge of conditions on their home beaches?

Does ISLA have representatives on the Island?  I did note an American guy with a fancy T-shirt, and apparently a crocodile expert, close down the entire island a couple of weeks ago because one small animal was travelling up the west coast .

Is he working here in an official capacity?

Edited by Old Croc

Phuket expat rescues boy, 7, as storm surf prompts call to close beaches

By The Phuket News

1533699975_1-org.jpg

Dangerous surf at Surin Beach. Photo: ISLA

PHUKET: An expat teacher at a Phuket school rescued a 7-year-old boy from surf at Nai Harn Beach on Monday (Aug 6), while the International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA) issued a notice today (Aug 8 ) recommending that Phuket’s exposed west coast beaches be closed to swimmers until current dangerous conditions subside.

The following warnings are in effect:

High Surf

Dangerous Shorebreak

Severe Rip Currents

High Winds

Sudden Squalls

Rapid Beach Erosion

“A warning means these conditions are imminent or are already occurring,” the statement read.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-expat-rescues-boy-7-as-storm-surf-prompts-call-to-close-beaches-68172.php#tlmGJbjKT80urMUM.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-08

"An expat woman who teaches at a school in Phuket saw the boy floating among the waves and dived in to rescue him.

“He was blue and white when he was dragged out of the water,” the woman told The Phuket News.

“I gave him CPR and a Thai woman helped me… and this continued for four minutes as the lifeguards stood and watched over us and then brought oxygen tank when he wasn’t even taking air yet…

“It’s like they didn’t know what to do,” she added."

Quoted from the full article linked above.

These - I assume - are the new lifeguards, who for a second time in a couple of weeks did exactly the same - absolutely nothing.

"Lifeguards told The Phuket News that the boy was 7 years old and “from China”, but that he had a Thai mother."

I'm guessing the worried bureaucrats might pretend to do something, now the magic word has appeared - "China".

• Like 1

"However, one lifeguard did urge, “I would like to tell parents to take care of their children when playing in the water, especially near the lagoon because there are no lifeguards there, and drowning incidents always happens there.”

So this is a known danger spot and remains unpatrolled!

Sadly the only safety response is still a chance sighting by a visitor.

Although not related to this story (yet),The authorities seem only able to grab some scapegoats to extort money, after the event.

• Like 1

Yes indeed Old Croc, one would wonder why the Marine Department or the contracted lifesavers aren't making these warnings. Of course this is the same marine department who inspected all of Phuket's boats a couple of weeks ago and declared all safe, only to have ISOC come in four days ago and declare 50% were not safe. And now there is a brand new marine chief, the previous one was just transferred. I'm sure they are on top of this, and know all about Phuket's surf conditions, and would definitely issue a warning if needed.

Also, definitely wonder why the contracted lifesavers that work for the local municipalities haven't issued any warnings. Apparently, these are the same lifeguards who can't swim, do proper CPR, or even make a rescue. I'm sure they are also right on top of conditions and would be issuing detailed warnings like this.

Hey Old Croc, didn't I see you on TV at the Tham Luang cave rescue, questioning the volunteer rescue divers about "official capacity?" I see a lot of parallels here.

Edited by exppenang

Unfortunately zero surprises re the boy being pulled from the surf by an expat though have to say the Nai Harn guys are usually not to bad, no where near international standard but better than a lot I've seen here over the years.

Also not at all surprised at the warning coming from the ISLA, the mob in charge of such things here are way to stupid to have a good idea with anything re sea safety.

16 hours ago, exppenang said:

Yes indeed Old Croc, one would wonder why the Marine Department or the contracted lifesavers aren't making these warnings. Of course this is the same marine department who inspected all of Phuket's boats a couple of weeks ago and declared all safe, only to have ISOC come in four days ago and declare 50% were not safe. And now there is a brand new marine chief, the previous one was just transferred. I'm sure they are on top of this, and know all about Phuket's surf conditions, and would definitely issue a warning if needed.

Also, definitely wonder why the contracted lifesavers that work for the local municipalities haven't issued any warnings. Apparently, these are the same lifeguards who can't swim, do proper CPR, or even make a rescue. I'm sure they are also right on top of conditions and would be issuing detailed warnings like this.

Hey Old Croc, didn't I see you on TV at the Tham Luang cave rescue, questioning the volunteer rescue divers about "official capacity?" I see a lot of parallels here.

Last para first - No, and I would appreciate you don't attribute invented statements to me!  I did make comment there about non diving posters talking rubbish about rescue methods.

As you're an American I'm not surprised you missed the sarcasm element of my post addressing the inabilities of the locals to do the jobs they're paid for.

My statement and questions about the authority of this international body to close local beaches remains. I would like to know where they fit in on the local level. 

Yes OldCroc I missed your sarcasm about the government. It is well hidden. What seemed much more obvious, is that you are criticising/questioning what appears to be an international NGO that is trying to promote ocean safety in Phuket.

The story reads "The International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA) is recommending", so that should answer your question about authority, if indeed that is truly your concern.

If you are experienced in the subject of closing dangerous beaches, or what to do when a croc is nearby, or you have any valuable or positive input at all, please let's hear it. I will be the first to commend you.

Or, if you are concerned about beach safety in Phuket, perhaps you could contact Mr. David Field at SLSA, and see if they could provide some free equipment or training.

If not, then you are just another arm-chair quarterback sitting in your lounger, and sniping at those who are trying to do something good - just like on the cave rescue.

Edited by exppenang

58 minutes ago, exppenang said:

Yes OldCroc I missed your sarcasm about the government. It is well hidden. What seemed much more obvious, is that you are criticising/questioning what appears to be an international NGO that is trying to promote ocean safety in Phuket.

The story reads "The International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA) is recommending", so that should answer your question about authority, if indeed that is truly your concern.

If you are experienced in the subject of closing dangerous beaches, or what to do when a croc is nearby, or you have any valuable or positive input at all, please let's hear it. I will be the first to commend you.

Or, if you are concerned about beach safety in Phuket, perhaps you could contact Mr. David Field at SLSA, and see if they could provide some free equipment or training.

If not, then you are just another arm-chair quarterback sitting in your lounger, and sniping at those who are trying to do something good - just like on the cave rescue.

Without listing your credentials to lecture others regarding beach safety, or other matters, your criticism of people about whom you have no knowledge is just a pathetic attempt to big note yourself,  and a good way to end up with egg on your face.

Incidentally, ISLA is NOT affiliated with SLSA nor with USLA. They make a point of distancing themselves from this group on their websites.

Despite your defense of this dodgy organization by attacking me, I would like other more knowledgeable posters to answer my questions about what, if any, official standing ISLA has in Phuket.

OldCroc, perhaps your questions and concerns would be best answered by sending an email using your real name to the ISLA? Why not go directly to the source? Maybe they have someone there who could answer your questions. It sounds like you may have some valuable input on this situation.

I looked at their website, couldn't find anything 'dodgy'. I didn't see any claims made about being affiliated with the other organisations you mentioned. Looks pretty straightforward to me. Says they provide free training and assistance to countries in need.  I'd say Phuket is definitely in need, wouldn't you?

On their website, it says the ISLA trained 60 local people in Phuket to international ocean lifeguard standards for free in 2017, and donated rescue equipment. I recently read an article in the news about a local surfer who took this training, and rescued a tourist at Surin Beach a few weeks back. I just don't see anything dodgy about that.

I respect and agree with the missions of both agencies you mentioned. I am a member of one of them. However, in my opinion, the true test of an organisation like this is what they actually do, not who they are affiliated with, or how much money they make doing it.

Looks like they are lifeguards from all over the world volunteering to help others, basically what any good lifeguard should do.

Edited by exppenang
  • Like 1