Proof that used car has passed MOT

simon43

For a car older than 7 years, it has to pass an annual MOT test.

When buying a used car more than 7 years old, what is the 'proof' that it has passed this test?

I don't think a separate MOT certificate is issued.  Am I correct that if the car has a current 'dtor tabian rot' sticker - vehicle tax sticker, then that is the proof, because that sticker is only issued for older cars after proof of passing the MOT at the testing centre is provided.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

So if I buy a used car from a dealer, I should not buy it unless it has a valid tax sticker...

Well yes, it is easy for them to do. If the last owner has not paid stuff then you may have to..The blue book tells all.....Ask to see the blue book and check it's info...

• Like 2

OP

I can’t recall receiving a certificate-maybe a receipt for the fee paid.

The testing station will issue a ‘tax disc’ to put on the windscreen- so as suggested make sure the car is taxed.

The MOT here is worth next to nothing - a bit of service history ( often completely lacking ) is more important.

if you can buy from a foreigner - they tend to see servicing as important- I’m afraid our local friends often do not see servicing as very important- especially in older cars . 

Saying all that older cars seem to last well here - my theory is that engines don’t have to start in freezing conditions and you  don’t drive on salted / gritted  roads that tend  to rot everything! 

45 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

The MOT here is worth next to nothing - a bit of service history ( often completely lacking ) is more important.

Agreed.  If the test takes 10 mins then the workers are on a 'go-slow'.  The service history is much more telling.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Or insurance....same as in UK. But does it work over here.

You must have MOT and the cheap gov insurance to tax it. A dealer should at least pay the 200bht and get it tested, easy..Check the blue book to see that tax revenue is up to date, if it ain't you pay the arrears..Well that is what I recall..

As for the MOT itself, it is totally useless, they do not check anything that may fail when you are out there on the road...

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

I took my truck for its first mot a few years ago. I was amused to watch the procedure for the broken down old Isuzu ahead of mine. I don't know if they  still use the same type of emission test, it had a filter paper and sucked exhaust fumes through it - the colour of the filter paper depends on how much soot is in the fumes.

The guy stuck the probe up the exhaust pipe and gunned the throttle, immediately he disappeared in a belch of filthy black smoke. The paper was removed - black = instant fail. He put in anther paper, this time the engine was already running, and he did not rev it up. The paper was removed - black = instant fail. So, he did the test a third time, but without any paper in the mahine. He took a fresh paper - pristine white = pass, problem solved.

I can't be bothered to describe the dynamometer test of the non-existent brakes. Suffice it to say, yes, you must have a certificate to renew the tax disk, and no, it isn't worth the paper it is printed on, never mind the 200 baht it costs. Caveat emptor applies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

In the UK the car test is called an MOT , which is short for a Ministry of Transport road worthiness test...:stoner:

Thank you I understand what you are talking about. 

BIt like visa, permission to stay and extension of stay which are often used generically but according to the expert commentators here,  incorrectly. 

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 1

And a hoover is a vacuum cleaner!
Yep and "durex" is a condom (or rubber) "sellotape" is scotch tape "bonnet" is a hood "Boot" is a trunk

"superglue" is called hot glue in Thailand.
Paying anual road tax and insurance is not "registration"
"MOT" = annual vehicle road worthiness test..which in Thailand isn't very rigorous.

9 hours ago, peterb17 said:

The testing station will issue a ‘tax disc’ to put on the windscreen- so as suggested make sure the car is taxed.

No they do not,the tax disc you get from the MVD,the place you take your bleu book to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grusa said:

I took my truck for its first mot a few years ago. I was amused to watch the procedure for the broken down old Isuzu ahead of mine. I don't know if they  still use the same type of emission test, it had a filter paper and sucked exhaust fumes through it - the colour of the filter paper depends on how much soot is in the fumes.

The guy stuck the probe up the exhaust pipe and gunned the throttle, immediately he disappeared in a belch of filthy black smoke. The paper was removed - black = instant fail. He put in anther paper, this time the engine was already running, and he did not rev it up. The paper was removed - black = instant fail. So, he did the test a third time, but without any paper in the mahine. He took a fresh paper - pristine white = pass, problem solved.

I can't be bothered to describe the dynamometer test of the non-existent brakes. Suffice it to say, yes, you must have a certificate to renew the tax disk, and no, it isn't worth the paper it is printed on, never mind the 200 baht it costs. Caveat emptor applies.

Never knew a diesel powered vehicle could come up with a white test paper.When they have tested my truck it was always black,no instant fail,passed.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:54 PM, harrry said:

However the MOT here is no real guarantee of vehicle condition...the only thing they ever check on mine is emmissions

In the last 5 years I gone to 3 different stations and they checked my car very well. Not only emission!!!

Also light test, break test, they gone under the car and check all, ...

But it's up to you where you let check your car!!! ?

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

In the UK? 

Department of Land Transport in Thai? 

So you are talking about a certificate of roadworthiness or something similar? 

Simply translating the acronym in response to your question.