Overstay fine and leaving after fine.

I stupidly overstayed my O visa, I would like to pay my fine on 8/10 and leave on the 8/13, I was understand it's possible to pay 2000 bht on top of the fine to get an extra 7 days. Is this correct?

Edited by scotyw1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 days ago, yes i'm married and have a son, I'm leaving Monday to apply for another non o, but of course I want to pay the fine tomorrow, I was under the understanding I can pay a further 2000 bht for a 7 day extension as such

2 minutes ago, scotyw1 said:

30 days ago, yes i'm married and have a son, I'm leaving Monday to apply for another non o, but of course I want to pay the fine tomorrow, I was under the understanding I can pay a further 2000 bht for a 7 day extension as such

I think you've left it too late. I personally wouldn't risk going to immigration with a 30 day overstay even though you qualify for a 60 day extension of stay (1,900 baht). If you are going to risk a visit to immigration I would recommend you (or your wife) call the immigration office first to see if they are prepared to let you pay the overstay fine and apply (late) for an extension. There is no 7 day extension. They only issue 7 days to leave the country when an application for an extension is unavailable or declined.

Failing that you will be able to pay the overstay fine on the way out on Monday if leaving by air, but not all land border crossings will let you leave with a long overstay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotyw1 said:

Yes, that,s what i thought, i'm gonna go immigration and pay and explain and hopefully I can pay the 2000 for the 7 days until i leave,

You may well be ok, but just be aware that they can arrest, detain, prosecute, deport and ban you (5 years) for overstay. 1 month is pushing your luck, which is why I suggest you phone ahead.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, scotyw1 said:

no blacklisting for less than 90 days, that is well known.

There is if they arrest you at Immigration.

As said phone immigration first or  (better imo) pay on exit monday.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, scotyw1 said:

I'm asking about going into immigration, i'm well aware of the consequences if your arrested, but why have a overstay desk in immigration if they are just gonna arrest you, 

They only have overstay desks at the border. If you surrender at the border you will not be arrested or banned. Surrendering at an immigration office is completely different. I doubt very much if they would arrest you if you 'surrender' at your local office, but it's a possibility.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Why do people ask advice and then argue with the answer because that isn't what they wanted to hear? They may as well not bother asking and simply go and do what they assume to be best.

Those who don't want to listen to perfect advise should feel the heat. Try your luck and go to Immigration which has no advantage at all. Seriously leave the country by air asap and clear your overstay at the airport - any other way contains a high risk with arrest and ban.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scotyw1 said:
A little update after my overstay expreience: 
I have been on an O visa for over 4 years but managed to overstay a visa exempt by 30 days. Hua hin immigration were great, at first they simply said,
pay now or pay later when you leave as we can not issues you with a 7 day extention as its past the date any visa could be issued untill. I mentined I had a son and the guy said 
go get his birth cert., copies of other things and we will give you 60 days from your over stay day. 40 minutes later im all legal with anothe 30 days left, minus 17800bht.
But also no red stamp;) I would like to thank Tom and rob, for all the valid advice <removed> 

Good to hear that all the gloom and doom, "lock him up" advice was wrong! Thanks for the update.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, scotyw1 said:

I have been on an O visa for over 4 years but managed to overstay a visa exempt by 30 days.

Glad to hear of the happy ending.

I am confused tho, how can you be on a O Visa and visa exempt at the same time? The o/p says you overstayed your O visa by 30 days?

• Like 1