Beach deserted but clean today

Chivas

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

No worries: 3 day weekend coming! Expect hordes of Thai visitors and the "offerings" they will leave behind for the sea Goddess

Like cigarette butts and plastic bags. Whoa! That can't be!  Only the bad foreigners litter the beaches with cigarette butts and plastic bags!  :whistling:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CH1961 said:

I'm European and Thailand is still a good value ? I hope all the cheap charlies stay in Spain and enjoy the 10 Baht beer

I don't know about the beer but they are going to pay a lot more for everything else.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Like cigarette butts and plastic bags. Whoa! That can't be!  Only the bad foreigners litter the beaches with cigarette butts and plastic bags!  :whistling:

Thais are the worst litters ever. No need to look beyond 

• Like 1

Surprised nobody has mentioned one very salient point.......  It's low (and rainy) season!

Do the same "survey" in November / December and compare ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapd said:

Food better in Spain?  Depends what kind of food I guess.  Thailand has some of the best food in the world.  You obviously are just looking for reasons to throw rocks.  You are going have a hard time doing it convincingly with the food argument.  Last time I went to Spain many years ago it was quite expensive.  Portugal was much cheaper. 

Can"t speak for the food in Spain, but the prices for Spain have gone down ever since they were financially hit by the crisis. The same for Greece, they had become far too expensive and have again come down in price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned one very salient point.......  It's low (and rainy) season!

Do the same "survey" in November / December and compare ?

lol and every single year the low season gets lower and lower what is it you cant grasp here

Hotels with huge vacancies over christmas new year check yourselves. At 42 and change for Brits its over compared to 20 years ago plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I went to an Argentinian steak restaurant in Spain. The meal cost 15 Euros.

Seriously .. a meal in an Argentinian steak restaurant for 15 Euro ? For a (genuine) steak with salad and beverage ? Any proof available ? I guess you are not talking about a meal .. I'm sure you had a fatty, stinky Spanish burger with a 50 Cent beer in a German/Brit crowded "Kneipe/Pub" ? In Switzerland you pay for a Pizza 700 Baht, a beer 200 Baht and for a steak 1200 Baht .. so Thailand is still a good value .. for me ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand is no longer good value for Europeans and hasn't been for a long time, and it's not all down to the exchange rate. Beer and wine are far, far cheaper in many European countries (10 baht a can of beer in Spain, for example), and food there is of a far, far higher quality. So why spend hundreds of pounds/euros flying to Thailand when cheaper and better is only an hours flight away, or even there at home.

So true !

400 million baht clean up?? ................. it's still a filty beach with grotty objects floating! Yuk! I'd still never go swimming there ..... even after all the so called improvemments. The foot path is still a nightmare, especially around the "Dusit" area. Thought this area had been renovated & cleaned up ............ apparently not, still has an open sewer flowing out to sea by the Thai Airways office. The area looks really shabby ............ really disappointing as it was "boarded up" for months.

36 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

thats exactly the way it looked last week

Yep ......... I'm 100% with you on this. I went for a walk on the beach too last week ............... I just wonder who is benefitting from all these so called costly improvements. So much rubbish on the beach .... it's a disgrace. 

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

lol and every single year the low season gets lower and lower what is it you cant grasp here

Hotels with huge vacancies over christmas new year check yourselves. At 42 and change for Brits its over compared to 20 years ago plus.

Well I shall be going just after New Year but won't be  making any bookings until October/November so "huge vacancies" now for the period are not necessarily a guide.

The absolute difference in the exchange rate of 42 versus, say 50 doesn't actually make that much difference to a tourist, unlike someone living in Thailand. For me, staying about 2-3 months it's about £450.

My point though was simply that I'd expect Thai beaches to be pretty deserted  in July / August so find the news unsurprising.

Edited by VBF

2 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

There are worse countries for litter.  Africa as a whole qualifies.  Much of Eastern Europe and Russia are close.  Thailand is not the paradise it once was but it is home to thousands of expats.  I never go to the beach since I always get an earache after swimming.

The beaches are far from Thailand's worst problem.  The continuing carnage on the highways is my number 1 issue with Thailand.

Thailand is now my home so I will do my best to be tolerant.

Yes, living here is what you make it & I fully agree with your remarks. Sad about the beaches, but it'll not change as people do not care enough here. Most are selfish & do what they want because they can ...... everyone turns a blind eye, even police. Thailand is my home too ...... I tolerate all the madness here as you do & accept all Thainess now .......... it's the mindset, which europeans on holiday have difficulty with on a short stay. I'd not live anywhere else ....... every day is different & I enjoy it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Well, you are back here, yet again. It isn't over for you.

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

Maybe you guys should not make stupid voting decisions (cough...Brexit...cough) and not expect it to affect your bottom line.  You have nobody but yourselves to blame for your lousy exchange rate right now.  Although, it seems to have recovered a little bit in the last year.  Still a ways to go before it gets to pre-brexit vote levels

Edited by lapd

With all the people sitting around looking for a way to make some money, they should set up a booth on the beach and give people something like 10 baht for every kilogram of garbage they collect.  The beach would probably be spotless.  It would easily pay for itself in tourism.  That's such an eyesore right now and should not be acceptable in a supposed beach town.  They should also be doing something about the raw sewage.  I know they keep talking about it but nothing seems to get done.