Rental in The Base Pattaya?

skoggi

Hi, sorry if this has been posted earlier.

I have currently been told that there is signs in The Base stating short term rentals is not allowed. Can anyone confirm this, and have a picture of it?

Im aware of the talk recently about the laws regarding Airbnb rentals etc, but havent found any pictures of these actual warnings in The Base. (not been there, just browsed the web for pictures)

Best regards

Edited by skoggi

This is a part of me deciding to stay there or not, and I probably wont. Booked the place earlier but cancelled and Airbnb need some kind if proof that short term rentals is not allowed here. ?

Found a picture ?

Edited by skoggi

Have several friends who live there -owners & renters-. Some love it, some hate it. Some are bothered by XXL groups and in/out of Chinese. Others aren't. O yes, shoe-boxes get bought and lived in, too. And even expensive shoe-boxes get bought. Also I could never understand how anybody would spend his retirement in a 25 - 30 sqm studio, often old, smelly and tasteless built & furnished. And even worse, with his g.f. for rent living in the same room and possibly 2 TV's, one with headset for the farang...55555  etc. etc.....

That said, there are plenty of foreigners who live in beautiful well-sized homes and condos. Can't expect everybody having had success and luck in life. For many retirees on a budget life here is still better than back home, even so prices are going through the roof lately also in TH.

Main problem for most lower-end residents is probably health-care & insurance. But this is almost a universal problem by now. I think there are many great choices for rentals here. There is some prime large corner units with sea-view in View Talay 6. MS>

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skoggi said:

This is a part of me deciding to stay there or not, and I probably wont. Booked the place earlier but cancelled and Airbnb need some kind if proof that short term rentals is not allowed here. ?

Found a picture ?

Plenty better options...Enjoy your vacation. MS>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexCanada said:

Many similar condos have these signs up but not slowing down AirBNB anywhere.  Are you sure you really want to stay at The Base?  Great location but terrible condo imo.

Sadly, it wasn't always terrible; it was quite beautiful and very nice on opening day.  One of the first Pattaya condos with a wonderful, thoughtful design that was carried all through the project, right down to the room number signage.  It was planned, like Lumpini Park Beach, as a project of getaway beach pads for Bangkok folks.  A second home for only occasional use. 

The thought was that most of the time it would be very lightly occupied, hence the small gym, the not huge pools, and only around 8 deck chairs at each pool when it opened.   The deck chairs were the tipoff--Sansiri thought they wouldn't normally need more than that.  Possibly another tipoff on the light use thinking would be the original yellow velvet chairs in the lobbies.  Yes, yellow velvet.  Wonder if they have been covered in sturdy daily rental vinyl by now.

Lumpini Park Beach, coming first, actually functioned that way--at least while I lived there.  Hardly anyone there during the week and a little busier on weekends when the Bangkok folk arrived--but still not very busy except on long holidays. Lumpini, by the way, also had limited deck chairs--I think 6 at the pool I usually used plus a few tables and chairs--and they were usually enough even though the project is large.

Lumpini Park Beach was lucky--most of its sales were done before Airbnb took hold and I think a lot of the units are still just used as occasional weekend getaways by Bangkok families.  Probably helped that the location was not right in town.  The Base was cursed with its bad timing and excellent location.   

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

One of the first Pattaya condos with a wonderful, thoughtful design that was carried all through the project, right down to the room number signage. 

Are we talking abouthe same Base condo?

The show units I saw had plastic flooring, a kitchen with cooking hob with 2 black plates ( like 20 years ag0o) and a hand shower in the bathroom.

Cheapest finishing I have ever seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonseeker said:

Have several friends who live there -owners & renters-. Some love it, some hate it. Some are bothered by XXL groups and in/out of Chinese. Others aren't. O yes, shoe-boxes get bought and lived in, too. And even expensive shoe-boxes get bought. Also I could never understand how anybody would spend his retirement in a 25 - 30 sqm studio, often old, smelly and tasteless built & furnished. And even worse, with his g.f. for rent living in the same room and possibly 2 TV's, one with headset for the farang...55555  etc. etc.....

That said, there are plenty of foreigners who live in beautiful well-sized homes and condos. Can't expect everybody having had success and luck in life. For many retirees on a budget life here is still better than back home, even so prices are going through the roof lately also in TH.

Main problem for most lower-end residents is probably health-care & insurance. But this is almost a universal problem by now. I think there are many great choices for rentals here. There is some prime large corner units with sea-view in View Talay 6. MS>

Certainly not what I meant. I meant that if someone wanted living space they can buy or rent something that gave space for quality of life in an appropriate location, rather than a shoe-box in a thousand room development in the supposed centre.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Are we talking abouthe same Base condo?

The show units I saw had plastic flooring, a kitchen with cooking hob with 2 black plates ( like 20 years ag0o) and a hand shower in the bathroom.

Cheapest finishing I have ever seen

Our condo at the Base had a regular showerhead; it may have been detachable from the wall mount, I can't remember.  The floors were some sort of wood laminate, common in new condo construction--our Centric Sea and Lumpini Seaview condos had something similar, as do others, such as Baan Plai Haad and Supalai Mare.  We did change the standard cooking hob (also pretty normal in lower price-point condos) to an induction one.  Perhaps the materials choices were  partly to keep the prices low for these weekend getaway pads.

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Why would anyone want to stay there, fighting your way through the Chinese hordes.  There are so many nice hotels in Pattaya.

Because rent at the base through AirBNB is very cheap compared to even a mid range hotel around town.  

1 minute ago, AlexCanada said:

Because rent at the base through AirBNB is very cheap compared to even a mid range hotel around town.  

This seems unlikely. Condo rentals by the day always seem very expensive here to me, especially when one adds on the (often hidden) extras like cleaning charges and utilities.

About the only advantage that I can see with daily condo rentals is that you get a condo with a kitchen as opposed to just a bedroom.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

This seems unlikely. Condo rentals by the day always seem very expensive here to me, especially when one adds on the (often hidden) extras like cleaning charges and utilities.

$39 x 7 nights  -$274

30% weekly price discount -$82

Cleaning fee $12

Service fee $25

Total $229

I just did a search on AirBNB.  Took a random week starting October 18.  $229 cdn which is 5818 baht or 831 baht per night.  I don't see many newer mid range hotels for that price.  I'm not recommending The Base or AirBNB at all.  Just supporting my prior post  It's a VERY cheap option for a 3 year old building.

Agree.  Very few AirBNB rentals anywhere in the world are cheaper than a mid range hotel if you are only renting for one single day.
Edited by AlexCanada
  • Like 2

Weekly price is more reasonable but using your figures one night on AirBNB would cost around 2000B, which seems a lot to me.

I wonder what the average duration of stay actually is? I dont think that I would come to Pattaya as a tourist for more than a night or two at most.

2 hours ago, AlexCanada said:
$39 x 7 nights  -$274

30% weekly price discount -$82

Cleaning fee $12

Service fee $25

Total $229

I just did a search on AirBNB.  Took a random week starting October 18.  $229 cdn which is 5818 baht or 831 baht per night.  I don't see many newer mid range hotels for that price.  I'm not recommending The Base or AirBNB at all.  Just supporting my prior post  It's a VERY cheap option for a 3 year old building.

Agree.  Very few AirBNB rentals anywhere in the world are cheaper than a mid range hotel if you are only renting for one single day.

Price for electricity?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, newnative said:

Well, it all really depends on what someone is looking for.  "Quality of life in an appropriate location..." could mean a big spread out in the sticks for some and others might be happy in something small right in the heart of the city.  I would be bored sick out in the country and would trade a large house there for a small condo within walking distance of malls, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.  Not to mention having a gym, pool, sky lounge, etc. on the premises.   I can afford something bigger but if I was single on a tight budget I could manage very nicely in a condo in the 35sqm range.

That why I wrote 'appropriate'. If you don't want to be in the the sticks, then that won't be an appropriate location.

35 sq. m. at The Base is actually one of their bigger apartments. People asking 23k per month for that.

You can get a similar sized modern apartment in Phra Tamnak for as little as 8k per month.

Another example,  an 80 sq.m apartment in one of the older View Talay buildings as compared to a shoebox at The Base in the middle of a polluted city.

Hardly in the sticks.

That's not even scratching the surface.

3 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

That why I wrote 'appropriate'. If you don't want to be in the the sticks, then that won't be an appropriate location.

35 sq. m. at The Base is actually one of their bigger apartments. People asking 23k per month for that.

You can get a similar sized modern apartment in Phra Tamnak for as little as 8k per month.

Another example,  an 80 sq.m apartment in one of the older View Talay buildings as compared to a shoebox at The Base in the middle of a polluted city.

Hardly in the sticks.

That's not even scratching the surface.

You seemed to be making the point that only something large could be desirable and appropriate; hence my reply.  I'm well aware that  there are a wide range of condo/house choices in Pattaya at a wide range of prices, both in rentals and sales.  In my opinion, that terrific variety is one of the desirable aspects of living in greater Pattaya.  I certainly wasn't recommending The Base, not as it is currently being managed.  Just making the point that the location is desirable for some--and they are willing to pay extra for it.  Some don't want to be in Pratamnak, even at only 8000 Baht a month.

With rentals (and sales) there are always tradeoffs.  The View Talays you mentioned may come with a larger size and smaller rent but they lack many of the amenities that newer condos have.   Important to some, not important to others.  The pros and cons of projects can be debated until the cows come home but it all comes down to what someone is looking for that suits their lifestyle, their desires, and their budget.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, newnative said:

You seemed to be making the point that only something large could be desirable and appropriate; hence my reply.  I'm well aware that  there are a wide range of condo/house choices in Pattaya at a wide range of prices, both in rentals and sales.  In my opinion, that terrific variety is one of the desirable aspects of living in greater Pattaya.  I certainly wasn't recommending The Base, not as it is currently being managed.  Just making the point that the location is desirable for some--and they are willing to pay extra for it.  Some don't want to be in Pratamnak, even at only 8000 Baht a month.

With rentals (and sales) there are always tradeoffs.  The View Talays you mentioned may come with a larger size and smaller rent but they lack many of the amenities that newer condos have.   Important to some, not important to others.  The pros and cons of projects can be debated until the cows come home but it all comes down to what someone is looking for that suits their lifestyle, their desires, and their budget.

Why are you bothering to write this? I wrote specifically about space for living. Did you miss that?

I don't consider 29 sq.m and 30 sq.m. space for living. Perhaps a place to space to sleep during the working week, a weekend holiday retreat or for holiday rentals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Why are you bothering to write this? I wrote specifically about space for living. Did you miss that?

I don't consider 29 sq.m and 30 sq.m. space for living. Perhaps a place to space to sleep during the working week, a weekend holiday retreat or for holiday rentals.

You're making my point.  You don't consider 30sqm a space for living.  That's fine, that's your preference.   But, that may not be someone else's preference, and that's all I've been saying.  Given a choice, some people might choose a small condo with a killer view in an excellent location in a complex with terrific amenities to a larger condo with few amenities, no view, and a location far from anything.   There's no right or wrong answer; it's whatever floats your boat.

5 hours ago, newnative said:

You're making my point.  You don't consider 30sqm a space for living.  That's fine, that's your preference.   But, that may not be someone else's preference, and that's all I've been saying.  Given a choice, some people might choose a small condo with a killer view in an excellent location in a complex with terrific amenities to a larger condo with few amenities, no view, and a location far from anything.   There's no right or wrong answer; it's whatever floats your boat.

I'm not making your point. I'm making my point. Space for living. You are rambling on about everything else and expressing polarising views in order to bolster whatever you are stating. 

The are spacious apartments with views that are close to everything and still as little as a third of the price of the pokey little rooms at The Base. 

Killer views, excellent location? Are you still writing about The Base? 

They are just high rise tower blocks for the masses. Nothing special at all. How many sunbeds for eleven hundred people? 

Space for living. I don't know anyway who has bought there to live there. They bought it to rent it out and hope that it appreciates.