Rental in The Base Pattaya?

skoggi

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

This seems unlikely. Condo rentals by the day always seem very expensive here to me, especially when one adds on the (often hidden) extras like cleaning charges and utilities.

About the only advantage that I can see with daily condo rentals is that you get a condo with a kitchen as opposed to just a bedroom.

It is not only likely, but he is right. It's also the reason hotel associations lobby against daily condo rental. Because the product is generally better than what most of the hotels offer and at a much lower price.

If I'm in town for a short stay, I'll also rent an apartment, sometimes for as little as 500 baht inclusive. For that I get a sea view, rooftop pool and gym, free WiFi etc 

Perhaps you should ask yourself what are the advantages of overpriced hotels.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

It is not only likely, but he is right. It's also the reason hotel associations lobby against daily condo rental. Because the product is generally better than what most of the hotels offer and at a much lower price.

If I'm in town for a short stay, I'll also rent an apartment, sometimes for as little as 500 baht inclusive. For that I get a sea view, rooftop pool and gym, free WiFi etc 

It's not better. It's crap. Like someone else said finishes and amenities are mostly terrible.

For almost the same price at the base, I can rent a 1 bedroom at Amari residences with much more comfortable bed and a real premium kitchen.

Yes, the location is not the best, but the value for money is much better than the base.

23 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's not better. It's crap. Like someone else said finishes and amenities are mostly terrible.

For almost the same price at the base, I can rent a 1 bedroom at Amari residences with much more comfortable bed and a real premium kitchen.

Yes, the location is not the best, but the value for money is much better than the base.

I meant apartment rental as compared to mid range hotels. The Base isn't even on my radar. Silly little over-hyped shoe box rooms.

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I have NEVER seen anything in Pattaya for 500baht with all that.  Unless it's a total dump.  Hotel or AirBnB condo.  So I gotta call bullshit on that.

I do know of a clean place by the month that I can get for about 500baht a day with aircon fridge etc.  in low season. There sure ain't no sea view, rooftop pools or a gym though. 

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

Name that apartment!

• Like 2

Because the product is generally better than what most of the hotels offer and at a much lower price.

I have yet to see such an apartment on booking.com for that price, especially one that does not also have many extra charges associated with it (service fee, cleaning etc). 500B/night is just 15,000B a month, and it's hard to see how anywhere could provide what you say for that price and not go out of business. Though I do know of hotels near Jomtien beach with a pool that offer decent rooms for 650B on booking.com

Some advantages of hotels would be that they are legal, that they respect the hotel safety requirements, that they pay tax, issue receipts and have liability insurance, and that they have properly trained staff available to deal with any problems that may arise. In a condo you are unlikely to get any of that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have yet to see such an apartment on booking.com for that price, especially one that does not also have many extra charges associated with it (service fee, cleaning etc). 500B/night is just 15,000B a month, and it's hard to see how anywhere could provide what you say for that price and not go out of business. Though I do know of hotels near Jomtien beach with a pool that offer decent rooms for 650B on booking.com

Some advantages of hotels would be that they are legal, that they respect the hotel safety requirements, that they pay tax, issue receipts and have liability insurance, and that they have properly trained staff available to deal with any problems that may arise. In a condo you are unlikely to get any of that.

You can get that in low season for monthly stay but it won't have a sea view and rooftop pool and probably no gym either.  It will be quite basic.  About the most you can hope for is that it's clean.  Also electricity/water is almost always extra and can be anywhere from 3000-5000 baht a month.  Sometimes cleaning is included a couple times a week, sometimes you have to pay extra for that at maybe 300 baht a pop.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

So a 30 m² , box in the sky on Second surrounded by Chinese backpackers beats a beach view at (say) the Amari or Holiday Inn on the north end of Beach?

Short-term apartment for 500 baht/day inclusive that gives roof top pool, gym and free wi-fi?

Now I know exactly what you're KneeDeep in.

• Like 1

I'm not making your point. I'm making my point. Space for living. You are rambling on about everything else and expressing polarising views in order to bolster whatever you are stating. 

The are spacious apartments with views that are close to everything and still as little as a third of the price of the pokey little rooms at The Base. 

Killer views, excellent location? Are you still writing about The Base? 

They are just high rise tower blocks for the masses. Nothing special at all. How many sunbeds for eleven hundred people? 

Space for living. I don't know anyway who has bought there to live there. They bought it to rent it out and hope that it appreciates.

I'm not writing about The Base; I'm writing in general.   I'm just disagreeing with your one (large) size fits all approach.  You don't want to live in a "pokey little room" so nobody should want to.  Your "Space for living" could mean different types of housing at different sizes in different locations at different price points if you asked ten different people.  It's all choice based on wants, needs, desires, and budget.  And, the 'space for living' will likely be completely different for a family of four vs. a young, single guy.   

On 8/10/2018 at 9:34 AM, newnative said:

Well, it all really depends on what someone is looking for.  "Quality of life in an appropriate location..." could mean a big spread out in the sticks for some and others might be happy in something small right in the heart of the city.  I would be bored sick out in the country and would trade a large house there for a small condo within walking distance of malls, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.  Not to mention having a gym, pool, sky lounge, etc. on the premises.   I can afford something bigger but if I was single on a tight budget I could manage very nicely in a condo in the 35sqm range.

I have lived at The Base for over 2 years and all you say is why I like it.

I do not want a big room it is perfect for me a single person.

The ST rentals here are advertised on all the hotel websites.

STer's can get annoying but the convenience of this place offsets it for me.

Not a perfect place, but I have looked around and am comfortable here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have lived at The Base for over 2 years and all you say is why I like it.

I do not want a big room it is perfect for me a single person.

The ST rentals here are advertised on all the hotel websites.

STer's can get annoying but the convenience of this place offsets it for me.

Not a perfect place, but I have looked around and am comfortable here.

Soon u guys at The Base will be blocked by Sansiri Condominium..Many investors will see there investment going down the drain as most units sadly will have a blocked seaview.

44 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Soon u guys at The Base will be blocked by Sansiri Condominium..Many investors will see there investment going down the drain as most units sadly will have a blocked seaview.

Some guys yes, which is why I am renting and have an interior location in the building facing completely away from that new project. The Edge will not affect me whatsoever.

I would never buy anything here because of the horror stories, lack of control, and minimal return on your investment.

Fools gold....

Edited by bkk6060

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So a 30 m² , box in the sky on Second surrounded by Chinese backpackers beats a beach view at (say) the Amari or Holiday Inn on the north end of Beach?

Short-term apartment for 500 baht/day inclusive that gives roof top pool, gym and free wi-fi?

Now I know exactly what you're KneeDeep in.

Once again you are assuming that I am referring to The Base. But that is only because you aren't properly following the thread.

Actually out of all of the clowns on here, I had some respect for you, until that particular post.

But in laew of our former dealings.....

Edited by KneeDeep

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

How is it an advantage to the customer that hotels are 'legal'? What are the hotel safety requirements that provide an advantage? The apartments in which I stay also have their own safety requirements.

How is it an advantage to the customer if tax is paid by the owner?

I have my own insurance, probably a lot better than any Thailand hotel would pay if I injured myself on their premises.

Properly trained staff? Now I know that you are making it up as you go along ? 

6 hours ago, newnative said:

I'm not writing about The Base; I'm writing in general.   I'm just disagreeing with your one (large) size fits all approach.  You don't want to live in a "pokey little room" so nobody should want to.  Your "Space for living" could mean different types of housing at different sizes in different locations at different price points if you asked ten different people.  It's all choice based on wants, needs, desires, and budget.  And, the 'space for living' will likely be completely different for a family of four vs. a young, single guy.   

Blah, blah, blah.....

Do you know anyone in The Base or anyone at all who has purchased one of those pokey rooms to actually live in. 

I know people who have purchased to rent them out and perhaps for family to use in the holidays etc

But people who actually want to live in the things look for more space. 

So you can spout as much conjecture as you like.  Do you actually know any 'young single guys who have purchased a 29/30 sq. m. apartment in The Base in order to live in?

Other new apartments have even smaller rooms. 

They are sold on unrealistic ROI.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Blah, blah, blah.....

Do you know anyone in The Base or anyone at all who has purchased one of those pokey rooms to actually live in. 

I know people who have purchased to rent them out and perhaps for family to use in the holidays etc

But people who actually want to live in the things look for more space. 

So you can spout as much conjecture as you like.  Do you actually know any 'young single guys who have purchased a 29/30 sq. m. apartment in The Base in order to live in?

Other new apartments have even smaller rooms. 

They are sold on unrealistic ROI.

I think young, single foreign guys are more likely to rent than buy in Thailand, with the visa rules.  In any event, we are discussing small vs. large spaces to live in on more than a short-term basis, regardless if they are rented or owned.  I do know several young, single foreign guys who have rented long-term at The Base and Centric Sea--they rented small 32 and 35sqm 1 bedroom units that we used to own at both projects.  

I never lived at The Base, myself,  but I did live at Centric.  While there my partner and I met 5 or 6 youngish Thai men who had purchased small 1 bedrooms at Centric.  Also several Thai couples.  They liked the location being close to their jobs and also all the amenities Centric has. For the same money, around 3MB, they likely could have bought a larger condo in an outer location, or even a house, but they were happy in a smaller space at the location where they wanted to be.  We also knew a number of older single foreign men, a few couples, and 1 woman, who had also bought  small units at Centric to live in, liking the project and the location. 

Obviously, not what you would choose but that's the point--it's all individual choice.  It's interesting that there is a 'small house movement' gaining some traction; people choosing to live simpler lives  with fewer possessions in smaller spaces. Giving up their McMansions and drastically downsizing.  Not for everyone, including me, but, again, that's the point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Bizarrely the view (or lack of) seems to count for very little here with many buyers/tenants. Certainly I would not even consider living in my building without my view, but many people do.

3 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

How is it an advantage to the customer that hotels are 'legal'? What are the hotel safety requirements that provide an advantage? The apartments in which I stay also have their own safety requirements.

How is it an advantage to the customer if tax is paid by the owner?

I have my own insurance, probably a lot better than any Thailand hotel would pay if I injured myself on their premises. 

Properly trained staff? Now I know that you are making it up as you go along ? 

As far as I know safety controls in hotels are more stringent than in condo buildings. Certainly my own building would fail any proper safety inspection on many grounds.

The advantage of tax being paid is that it improves the general economy and the state of the area. But maybe you like visiting slums. I dont.

If I am paying for accommodation I expect it to be legal and insured. I dont expect to have to pay for the insurance myself. If you like doing that, that's your choice.

All those seem like advantages to me. If you fail to see the difference between a hotel and a condo, that's up to you.

The staff and management in my building are mostly incompetent morons. Staff in hotels I have stayed in here have been much more competent, and much more interested in doing something approaching a good job. Again, if you choose to stay in dives then you may not find that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Actually, I think only the units on the south side of the southern building will be blocked.  So, not "most".  More like a quarter.  The units in the northern building facing north won't be affected at all.  The front units facing directly west in both buildings should still see the ocean in front.  Ditto, the 2 bedroom interior units in the back that face west--they will have the same views they now have.  Most of  the interior units will  also have the same views they now have, with the exception of some of the south-facing units in the front, which still might retain a glimpse of the sea.

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Actually, I think only the units on the south side of the southern building will be blocked.  So, not "most".  More like a quarter.  The units in the northern building facing north won't be affected at all.  The front units facing directly west in both buildings should still see the ocean in front.  Ditto, the 2 bedroom interior units in the back that face west--they will have the same views they now have.  Most of  the interior units will  also have the same views they now have, with the exception of some of the south-facing units in the front, which still might retain a glimpse of the sea.

Can you just say that again?

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I think young, single foreign guys are more likely to rent than buy in Thailand, with the visa rules.  In any event, we are discussing small vs. large spaces to live in on more than a short-term basis, regardless if they are rented or owned.  I do know several young, single foreign guys who have rented long-term at The Base and Centric Sea--they rented small 32 and 35sqm 1 bedroom units that we used to own at both projects.  

I never lived at The Base, myself,  but I did live at Centric.  While there my partner and I met 5 or 6 youngish Thai men who had purchased small 1 bedrooms at Centric.  Also several Thai couples.  They liked the location being close to their jobs and also all the amenities Centric has. For the same money, around 3MB, they likely could have bought a larger condo in an outer location, or even a house, but they were happy in a smaller space at the location where they wanted to be.  We also knew a number of older single foreign men, a few couples, and 1 woman, who had also bought  small units at Centric to live in, liking the project and the location. 

Obviously, not what you would choose but that's the point--it's all individual choice.  It's interesting that there is a 'small house movement' gaining some traction; people choosing to live simpler lives  with fewer possessions in smaller spaces. Giving up their McMansions and drastically downsizing.  Not for everyone, including me, but, again, that's the point.

Now we are going waaaaay off Base(see what I did there?) This part of thread was with reference to the AirBnB and similar vendors customers outside the The Base every day. There are there because there are very many rooms being rented out via those portals. Not because young single guys are occupying it.

Thais buy new, that's what they do. 

There will always be the exceptions that prove the rule.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

At 500 bhat, my money's on Nurin Mansions.

How much money? Put up 5000 baht (into escrow)and I send you a link. Then you can publicly apologise.

Though seeing as though you can't even spell baht, I doubt if you have 5000 baht to spare.

So...are you going to put your money where your mouth is?

14 hours ago, lapd said:

He won't because it does not exist or is a total dump and a sea view you get on the roof with binoculars.

How about you? 5000 baht to a charity of my naming(money placed into escrow to weed out the BS) and I'll send you details.

Rooftop pool, sauna, gym, private terrace with large table for outdoor eating and relaxation....

You up for it of just full of it?

12 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Now we are going waaaaay off Base(see what I did there?) This part of thread was with reference to the AirBnB and similar vendors customers outside the The Base every day. There are there because there are very many rooms being rented out via those portals. Not because young single guys are occupying it.

Thais buy new, that's what they do. 

There will always be the exceptions that prove the rule.

Try to keep up.  I was answering your question to me in your last post.  Did I know any young single guys who had bought at The Base.  My reply answered your question, so not really off base.   I did include Centric Sea in my comments since it and The Base are the two new highrise condos in central Pattaya with some similar sized  1 bedroom units.