Rental in The Base Pattaya?

skoggi

Just now, newnative said:

Try to keep up.  I was answering your question to me in your last post.  Did I know any young single guys who had bought at The Base.  My reply answered your question, so not really off base.   I did include Centric Sea in my comments since it and The Base are the two new highrise condos in central Pattaya with some similar sized  1 bedroom units.

You told me that you didn't know any.

My reply was meant to tail off the pointless and tedious discussion. Obviously too subtle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have lived at The Base for over 2 years and all you say is why I like it.

I do not want a big room it is perfect for me a single person.

The ST rentals here are advertised on all the hotel websites.

STer's can get annoying but the convenience of this place offsets it for me.

Not a perfect place, but I have looked around and am comfortable here.

I would be interested in hearing more about your experiences there.  The little things that you can only find out after living there awhile.  How thin are the walls?  Do you hear a lot of hallway noise?  Do they keep the common areas clean and maintained?  Does the internet work well?  Do you hear any noise from LK Metro?  Things like that.  

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's not better. It's crap. Like someone else said finishes and amenities are mostly terrible.

For almost the same price at the base, I can rent a 1 bedroom at Amari residences with much more comfortable bed and a real premium kitchen.

Yes, the location is not the best, but the value for money is much better than the base.

I know a lot of people who love that area.  Just need to always use a scooter to get anywhere.  Some people do that anyways and some (like me) would rather have things within convenient walking distance.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm not leaving you out of this. 5000 baht will make a difference to a poor Thai. 

Still won't even mention the slightest bit of info like the general area.  What a surprise.

But it has a sea view and rooftop pool and all that.   Trust him it's totally for realz. ?

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Actually, I think only the units on the south side of the southern building will be blocked.  So, not "most".  More like a quarter.  The units in the northern building facing north won't be affected at all.  The front units facing directly west in both buildings should still see the ocean in front.  Ditto, the 2 bedroom interior units in the back that face west--they will have the same views they now have.  Most of  the interior units will  also have the same views they now have, with the exception of some of the south-facing units in the front, which still might retain a glimpse of the sea.

Its will be more then 25% blocked already more likely 35% blocked  is more accurately but who says that the same thing is not going to happen on the north side?

Someone Buys  up a row of shophouses demolishing them and build an 36 floors highrise?

Sansiri will be build right infront the  2nd road.i though there where all kind of regulations for sky scrapers including  a minimum distance from the main road?

All blocked units will loose about 60-70% of their value.

Edited by Destiny1990

28 minutes ago, lapd said:

Still won't even mention the slightest bit of info like the general area.  What a surprise.

But it has a sea view and rooftop pool and all that.   Trust him it's totally for realz. ?

Seems you are out. Let's see if the other two will put up or shut up...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its will be more then 25% blocked already more likely 35% blocked  is more accurately but who says that the same thing is not going to happen on the north side?

Someone Buys  up a row of shophouses demolishing them and build an 36 floors highrise?

Sansiri will be build right infront the  2nd road.i though there where all kind of regulations for sky scrapers including  a minimum distance from the main road?

I think 25% is more accurate.   But, even 35% would not qualify you to say "most" will lose value.  Many of the lower and inner units don't have a seaview to be blocked so should not lose any value.  Some lower units facing The Edge might actually see their views improved--looking on to a brand new project rather than the old, rundown hotel view they had before.   And, The Edge, with its sky high price per sqm, will make The Base seem like a bargain and most unaffected units will likely at least maintain their current prices.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Boy, you really seem to hate The Base. ?  Really reaching with your comment the same might happen on the North side.  Yes who knows maybe an earthquake will hit and The Base will be a beach front condo. 

Are you upset you did not get in at the beginning as most places have appreciated approx. one million baht since it was built?  One of the few places in this city that has actually made money for people during that time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Boy, you really seem to hate The Base. ?  Really reaching with your comment the same might happen on the North side.  Yes who knows maybe an earthquake will hit and The Base will be a beach front condo. 

Are you upset you did not get in at the beginning as most places have appreciated approx. one million baht since it was built?  One of the few places in this city that has actually made money for people during that time.

And, Centric Sea.   Note that both are in excellent locations that some people will pay a premium to live at.

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

How about you? 5000 baht to a charity of my naming(money placed into escrow to weed out the BS) and I'll send you details.

Rooftop pool, sauna, gym, private terrace with large table for outdoor eating and relaxation....

You up for it of just full of it?

Could be some place like The Chezz, or one of the small units at Centric.   The interesting thing to me is why anyone would be bothering to rent out a condo they own for only 500 baht a day.  Even booked every single day, your gross, not NET, would be only 15,000 baht a month.  From that 15,000 baht you have to subtract the monthly condo maintenance fee, electricity, water, room cleaning and laundry expenses, breakage and theft, booking charges, and someone has to do all the paperwork and check the guests in and out.  Hardly worth the bother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I think I should be happy and lucky for not buying units there..

I just surprised another highrise May build infront on a land plot thats located right at the main road.

34 minutes ago, newnative said:

Could be some place like The Chezz, or one of the small units at Centric.   The interesting thing to me is why anyone would be bothering to rent out a condo they own for only 500 baht a day.  Even booked every single day, your gross, not NET, would be only 15,000 baht a month.  From that 15,000 baht you have to subtract the monthly condo maintenance fee, electricity, water, room cleaning and laundry expenses, breakage and theft, booking charges, and someone has to do all the paperwork and check the guests in and out.  Hardly worth the bother.

Well if daily rents are that low nowadays in the Base then i bet u that there will be bargain 6 months rental deal too thus making barely nothing for the Base condo owners.Long or Short term.

Usually one year after the completion of a new condo most rents are dropping year after year.

Why? Cause more and more units come available in the same building so more competition and newer condos nearby or infront getting built 

48 minutes ago, newnative said:

The interesting thing to me is why anyone would be bothering to rent out a condo they own for only 500 baht a day.  Even booked every single day, your gross, not NET, would be only 15,000 baht a month.  From that 15,000 baht you have to subtract the monthly condo maintenance fee, electricity, water, room cleaning and laundry expenses, breakage and theft, booking charges, and someone has to do all the paperwork and check the guests in and out.  Hardly worth the bother.

I could just about imagine someone doing it if they paid under 1.5MB for the condo in the first place, and if they actually like doing that sort of work. I know some people who do, incomprehensible as I find it: in fact I know a couple of people here who seem to spend every waking moment messing about with tenants and rental condos, and seem to thrive on it. So maybe that's the case.

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I explained previously that views here are, surprisingly, not always considered to be important.

I know someone who pays 25,000B/month in Centric Sea for a unit with no view to speak of, but I would not care to live in it for free. And I know people in my building who paid as much per sqm to buy a unit with a crappy view as I did to buy one with a nice view. Yet to me the view from my unit accounts for half its value, or more.

Many Philistines in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I could just about imagine someone doing it if they paid under 1.5MB for the condo in the first place, and if they actually like doing that sort of work. I know some people who do, incomprehensible as I find it: in fact I know a couple of people here who seem to spend every waking moment messing about with tenants and rental condos, and seem to thrive on it. So maybe that's the case.

I guess so.  And, they probably are spending "every waking moment messing about with tenants...".  To make any money they probably have to do all the scut work themselves, rather than hire help.   Definitely not for me--life's too short.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

I guess so.  And, they probably are spending "every waking moment messing about with tenants...".  To make any money they probably have to do all the scut work themselves, rather than hire help.   Definitely not for me--life's too short.

Many of the ST rentals here are by people who purchased multiple units.  Some up to 20 units at The Base.

There are several large corporations that bought multiple units also.  So, if they are not being used by business men or others, they rent them ST.  Their thinking is why not make something off it while it is sitting empty.  Makes sense for some  it seems.

But, I am on board with you it is a PIA.  Lots of checkin hassle, complaints, cleaning, laundry, some flaky people adds up to nothing I want to be a part of.

Just to add lots of Chinese staying here.  But they are not the tour group types who probably are older and do not speak English.  Just about all the Chinese I have spoken to here are younger and speak very good English many educated in the USA.  They have money and good jobs.  With this just a note, I got to say I usually am not a fan of Chinese women but there have been some hot looking ones coming here the past several weeks.  Dressed very well with their hats and friendly they seem to want to talk. At least a small perk of so many staying here now.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Daily rents are not 500b, that's crazy.

Actually some are advertised for 500 baht or less a day on Airbnb--although there may be hidden charges.  I don't use Airbnb so I don't know what, if anything is added to the posted price.  Did see a daily rental at The Chezz for 490 baht a day.  Some of the small Unixx studios were under 500 baht, as were some small 1 bedrooms at The Base.  Saw a Centric listing for 566 baht.   I thought doing daily rentals at 1500 baht a day was a lot of work for little payoff; at only 500 baht a day it's, as you say, crazy.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Daily rents are not 500b, that's crazy.

Actually some are advertised for 500 baht or less a day on Airbnb--although there may be hidden charges.  I don't use Airbnb so I don't know what, if anything is added to the posted price.  Did see a daily rental at The Chezz for 490 baht a day.  Some of the small Unixx studios were under 500 baht, as were some small 1 bedrooms at The Base.  Saw a Centric listing for 566 baht.   I thought doing daily rentals at 1500 baht a day was a lot of work for little payoff; at only 500 baht a day it's, as you say, crazy.

50 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Many of the ST rentals here are by people who purchased multiple units.  Some up to 20 units at The Base.

There are several large corporations that bought multiple units also.  So, if they are not being used by business men or others, they rent them ST.  Their thinking is why not make something off it while it is sitting empty.  Makes sense for some  it seems.

But, I am on board with you it is a PIA.  Lots of checkin hassle, complaints, cleaning, laundry, some flaky people adds up to nothing I want to be a part of.

Just to add lots of Chinese staying here.  But they are not the tour group types who probably are older and do not speak English.  Just about all the Chinese I have spoken to here are younger and speak very good English many educated in the USA.  They have money and good jobs.  With this just a note, I got to say I usually am not a fan of Chinese women but there have been some hot looking ones coming here the past several weeks.  Dressed very well with their hats and friendly they seem to want to talk. At least a small perk of so many staying here now.

Yes,  I think you have to be managing 20 or more rooms, almost running a boutique hotel within the condo, to make any money at it.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Yes,  I think you have to be managing 20 or more rooms, almost running a boutique hotel within the condo, to make any money at it.

Low daily rates means low monthly rates too..

however i think average daily rate for Base around 1000-1500 inclusive... 

For owning and living in a place, a view is only good for one thing imo.  When you want to sell it.

I have had views and after awhile you don't even look anymore.  It's like a painting on the wall.  It gets old after awhile.  So it has no value for myself.  But I still prefer a view just for the fact that they are easier to sell.

Of course if you want to rent it out you can get more for a view. 

Edited by lapd

8 hours ago, lapd said:

For owning and living in a place, a view is only good for one thing imo.  When you want to sell it.

I have had views and after awhile you don't even look anymore.  It's like a painting on the wall.  It gets old after awhile.  So it has no value for myself.  But I still prefer a view just for the fact that they are easier to sell.

I disagree totally.

I've lived in houses/condos with excellent views for the last 40 years. I would NEVER consider living somewhere that did not have a very good view. I could never get bored of a very good view, and I would never stop looking at it.

As for the value here, as I mentioned, a good view seems to count for very little for many people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lapd said:

I partly agree that a view of the sea far in the distance is nothing special. But some sort of view outside is nice. I would never consider living in one of the condos they sell now where the view is just another condo balcony 20 feet away.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I partly agree that a view of the sea far in the distance is nothing special. But some sort of view outside is nice. I would never consider living in one of the condos they sell now where the view is just another condo balcony 20 feet away.

In the place I stay at sometimes, I specifically ask for the rooms with a view of a wall of another building a few feet away.  Why?  Because it's cooler with no sun shining on the balcony/window.  Also quieter with an adjacent building/wall to block sound.  We all have our preferences and a view is not one of mine.  Paying less for a cool and quiet room makes more sense to me.

Edited by lapd

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I disagree totally.

I've lived in houses/condos with excellent views for the last 40 years. I would NEVER consider living somewhere that did not have a very good view. I could never get bored of a very good view, and I would never stop looking at it.

As for the value here, as I mentioned, a good view seems to count for very little for many people.

We live in a house with just another house over the road in front of us ,but i must say the view is very nice ,she is about 26 and the daughter of the couple living there.

• Like 1