UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

We differ on this point Chomper.

Labour has a clear route to power if they just were clear about at least remaining in the CU and SM. Corbyn is stopping this because of his Trotskyist stance. He particulary wishes to massively increase state intervention. I agree with reorganising the railways with nationalised infrastructure and real competition for services. I would re-nationalise water companies.

No, I don't buy that Corbyn is for the national good. His political views rule.

And his dress sense is embarrassing. Somebody should take him to Savile Row for a fitting.

"Labour has a clear route to power if they just were clear about at least remaining in the CU and SM."

Disagree entirely, bearing in mind the vast majority of Labour constituencies voted to leave.  Why would the voters in those constituencies be happy if the Labour party campaigned to remain within the CU and SM?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Obfuscation! Cantab or not Cantab; that is the question.

The EU is far from perfect but much maybe resolved from within. Sadly, we we have too few Cantab (or Oxon or Dunelm [like me!])people in the foreign office and civil service.

The EU has limited demagoguery thank goodness. I welcome coalition governments because it locks extremists into unelectable parties with no chance of actual control.

I am certainly not homogenised  though increasingly "incompetent" due to old age ?

Finally, the history of Europe strongly indicates that having everyone in a club is a good idea.

I think free movement can be limited by controlling the numbers per annum by country. Say, no more than 5,000 per annum from a particular country. Also limit total numbers according to population density. That would actually give U.K., Belgium and Netherlands an opt out. Who is negotiating any of this? Not our top minds for sure!  

"The EU is far from perfect but much maybe resolved from within."

And yet, even after the brexit vote (which should have given them a very good clue that serious reforms were needed!), they have shown no intention of doing anything of the sort. ☹️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I find it quite surprising there has been so little public unrest; perhaps the conclusion is that a majority still want Brexit no matter what.  Insane in my view, and yours, but there we are!

I think too many are still expecting a painless leave - we won't see a reaction by the masses until they actually start to suffer.

We Brits are too docile - in France they'd have been blocking the motorways with burning barricades for months now.  

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Obfuscation! Cantab or not Cantab; that is the question.

The EU is far from perfect but much maybe resolved from within. Sadly, we we have too few Cantab (or Oxon or Dunelm [like me!])people in the foreign office and civil service.

The EU has limited demagoguery thank goodness. I welcome coalition governments because it locks extremists into unelectable parties with no chance of actual control.

I am certainly not homogenised  though increasingly "incompetent" due to old age ?

Finally, the history of Europe strongly indicates that having everyone in a club is a good idea.

I think free movement can be limited by controlling the numbers per annum by country. Say, no more than 5,000 per annum from a particular country. Also limit total numbers according to population density. That would actually give U.K., Belgium and Netherlands an opt out. Who is negotiating any of this? Not our top minds for sure!  

"I think free movement can be limited by controlling the numbers per annum by country. Say, no more than 5,000 per annum from a particular country. Also limit total numbers according to population density."

You mean something like the previous 'system', where those wishing to work in another country had to prove they had been given a job?  If so, I agree.  But those being offered jobs need to be well-paid positions in 'shortage' areas.

Which opens a whole new 'can of worms' as to why the uk didn't ensure that enough brits. were trained in fields of work that are now suffering shortages...☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the advocates of a 2nd referendum should be careful of what they wish for. From The Guardian....

"A second referendum on Brexit could lead to social unrest and embolden the extreme right, a member of Labour’s shadow cabinet has said." I agree, except that there isn't going to be a 2nd ref.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/21/labour-mp-says-second-brexit-vote-could-lead-to-social-unrest

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Wow, you must be a fully paid up shill, right?

Identify where the 'emotion' is in my statement then please, besides a bit of good humour. I don't like the EU, I don't like what it stands for or the people who are behind it, but I don't butt-hurt about it and use ad homonym attacks or emotionally charged nonsense to make my points, that seems to be the preserve of neoliberal remainer types. I have argued legitimately against it (EU) and raised enough valid points that have not really been properly countered by anyone thus far, the fundamental issues don't seem to be registering with most. If you think Greece was deserving of what happened to it, go and have a look into the ECB's accounts before casting judgement. This was all premeditated. 

All in the first sentence  "having to pay extortionate amounts to remain part of the EU "

In 2016/17 the UK contribution to the EU was 0.7% of income tax and the INTEREST on the national debt was 5.5%, the 5th highest liability on income tax.

Reign in the emotion and keep things in perspective.

• Thanks 1

Something that many do not recognise is that one of the EU's greatest achievements is a non tariff trade barrier. It comes in the form of "standards" in that certain products subject to EU directives are manufactured and tested to the same standard where ever they are produced.
Standards do not mean a great deal to many, if Joe Public is not aware that his well being is at risk and you take away the risk, then he is not any wiser and no benefit is perceived. He cannot see or touch standards so it is an arbitrary concept. He can however see rising costs and find someone to blame, namely the EU. This viewpoint has been supported by the manufacturer as they are a bit reluctant to say they used to sell an inferior product.
Compliance with these EU standards is visible in the form of a CE mark attached to the product. Permission to use the CE mark is granted in the form of certification from an EU agent known as a Notified Body. Product from outside the EU must also be certified and carry the mark under the same regulations. A great deal of product from outside the EU was certified in the UK making a significant contribution to the economy. Brexit has brought that to a halt, from March next year UK Notified Bodies will cease to exist and all existing certification will become invalid.
Not only is the CE mark mandatory within the EEA, it is also required by many exporters to outside the EU under a mutual recognition agreement. Much of UK industry will be dependent on EU standards for the foreseeable future so another deal would need to be dealt with in the no deal scenario.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

All in the first sentence  "having to pay extortionate amounts to remain part of the EU "

In 2016/17 the UK contribution to the EU was 0.7% of income tax and the INTEREST on the national debt was 5.5%, the 5th highest liability on income tax.

Reign in the emotion and keep things in perspective.

Hahaha! Yep, definitely a paid up shill, my guess is 'sandyf's' real moniker would appear on Soros' payroll.

You can keep trying with the distraction tactics if you like, telling me to rein in (not reign in, get it right) apparent 'emotional outbursts' in an attempt to undermine my argument, but it's a poor tactic to employ, often done so by someone with no real argument, like yourself.

And by the way I'm aware that we got a lot of the money we paid into the EU back in terms of tax refunds and grants etc. etc., but the fact remains we were forced to pay a lot into the EU coffers, for what exactly? And now we're required to pay 30bn back in before a deal is decided on / we leave!? Great. Over regulation has stifled industry and business and the customs union and trade bloc restrictions created the inability to make our own trade deals globally. The UK (or any other nation with standards and low enough levels of corruption/lobbying) is able to maintain the same standards and comply with EEA ones when necessary too. Since we are in the driving seat re: huge trade deficit, do you really think for a moment the EEA's top industrial/business giants would penalise the UK over exact specification of reciprocal standards, if it meant they would lose out on selling us all the services and products their businesses rely on? The same argument of course goes for tariffs too.  

Our national debt remains a crushing problem and the interest is at this point supposedly 'beyond the point of ever repaying', that is an issue that is not necessarily directly related to the EEA or a symptom of it. I don't think every ill suffered in the UK is the fault of the EEA/EU, honestly! You seem to think you're some kind of expert on the subject, particularly the economic and free trade aspects. Why not listen to an intelligent businessman/scientist with years of experience in the field and take their points on board. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIlvsk1dphE

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

You're right, an easy and prosperous Brexit didn't exist (I don't think any voter was naive enough to believe it would be easy or would result in instant prosperity); however, an EASIER Brexit DID exist. It didn't have to be THIS difficult. If everyone had accepted the result and got on with delivering it, as was promised prior to the vote, the country wouldn't be in the mess that it is, having spent two years getting nowhere fast.

It would have also been much EASIER had the person leading the country been a passionate supporter of Brexit who believed in what they were trying to achieve. Had remain won it's unthinkable to imagine a leave supporter succeeding Cameron. It would never have happened. May was therefore completely the wrong choice, and not just because she's a remainer, but because she has all the charm and charisma of a common warthog, at a time when the country most needed a talisman (or taliswomanemoji16.png).

So much of the blame for the difficult Brexit lies not with Brexit itself, but with the Tories who have made a hash of it. It also lies with remainers in the establishment at large who spend all their time and effort putting obstacles in the way of a successful Brexit and generally trying to derail it, and then sagely and smugly declare, "see, we told you how difficult Brexit would be".

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Spot on.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Who says none are in favour of a return to a national currency - or at the very least a break from the fetid Euro!?  I think that the majority of people in certain countries are very much in favour of that. Living outside the UK in an international city I meet enough Europeans to tell you that 9/10 I have met are exasperated with the effects the EU and Euro have had on their countries and economies in particular. What are your cast-iron sources that prove I'm peddling fake news, exactly? Don't accuse me of something and then engage in it yourself please, you are being a hypocrite!  

You name a country that the majority of its population want to ditch the euro.the Greeks didn't, the Italians threaten but it's all bluster,The French voted in Macron on an ultra Pro EU ticket.I live in Europe outside the UK and nobody I know or meet have ever said they want to ditch the euro or even leave the EU.You are just making stuff up.

You seem to have mistaken democracy for totalitarianism - in a democracy it's possible  for people to hold opposing views and espouse those views in public, even if they are different to the government of the day.

Surviving is not the same as prospering and I'd prefer to do the latter.
It's not disagreeing with and fighting against views of the government that makes you anti-democratic, it's disagreeing with and fighting against the outcome of a referendum that does.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

In the EU we have the freedom to travel, work, live, anywhere in Europe.  That is going to be taken away form me now... and ruined my plans for the future.

Jak, you've made an impassioned case, which in my opinion is worth much more than all the copy and paste we see from the overnight experts.

However, even in a "hard exit" you will be free to travel, work and live in Europe. It might take a bit more paperwork, that's all.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, candide said:

It has been stated several times in this thread that EU population was increasingly dissatisfied with the EU. Here is what I found. You may notice the Brexit decision effect...

PG_2017.06.15.EU-Brexit-00-00.png

yes, Brexit creates happiness,

clearly, most of EU is looking forward  to getting rid of UK

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

clearly, most of EU is looking forward  to getting rid of UK

Sure Melvin, especially those countries that are going to have to plug the hole in the budget.

There are lots of Brit-bashers here, us Brits are used to it.

I guess you were making a light-hearted joke, so don't take it personally.

adammike -

You name a country that the majority of its population want to ditch the euro.the Greeks didn't, the Italians threaten but it's all bluster,The French voted in Macron on an ultra Pro EU ticket.I live in Europe outside the UK and nobody I know or meet have ever said they want to ditch the euro or even leave the EU.You are just making stuff up.

Making it up! Haha, funny stuff. But what you've replied with is (predictably) complete hokum I'm afraid. The majority in most European nations might not be against leaving the EU...yet, for a number of reasons that we could discuss all day. When you say the French (as though they all have one collective voice and mind) voted in Macron on a pro EU ticket, whilst being correct that Macron won the election, you ever so casually disregard the 10.8 million or 35% of those who voted the opposite way, for Le Pen too, not just anyone, the Front Nationale candidate!

35% of the vote (or nearly 11 million people) is a high proportion in anyone's book. And how about the 5 Star party in Italy winning 32.2% of the CoD and Senate votes this year, then there is Hungary and Denmark and the Netherlands who all look set to secede if the conditions prove conducive and the right political moves are made. It is worth considering your sources when reading 'polls' too, I should point out. I have had the opposite experience to you when talking with Europeans here in TH and across SE Asia in fact.

Just because you move in circles where Eurosceptic sentiment is unpopular it really doesn't mean that that is the case among vast swathes of the population of many European countries, not just the UK.    

• Thanks 1

Hahaha! Yep, definitely a paid up shill, my guess is 'sandyf's' real moniker would appear on Soros' payroll.

You can keep trying with the distraction tactics if you like, telling me to rein in (not reign in, get it right) apparent 'emotional outbursts' in an attempt to undermine my argument, but it's a poor tactic to employ, often done so by someone with no real argument, like yourself.

And by the way I'm aware that we got a lot of the money we paid into the EU back in terms of tax refunds and grants etc. etc., but the fact remains we were forced to pay a lot into the EU coffers, for what exactly? And now we're required to pay 30bn back in before a deal is decided on / we leave!? Great. Over regulation has stifled industry and business and the customs union and trade bloc restrictions created the inability to make our own trade deals globally. The UK (or any other nation with standards and low enough levels of corruption/lobbying) is able to maintain the same standards and comply with EEA ones when necessary too. Since we are in the driving seat re: huge trade deficit, do you really think for a moment the EEA's top industrial/business giants would penalise the UK over exact specification of reciprocal standards, if it meant they would lose out on selling us all the services and products their businesses rely on? The same argument of course goes for tariffs too.  

Our national debt remains a crushing problem and the interest is at this point supposedly 'beyond the point of ever repaying', that is an issue that is not necessarily directly related to the EEA or a symptom of it. I don't think every ill suffered in the UK is the fault of the EEA/EU, honestly! You seem to think you're some kind of expert on the subject, particularly the economic and free trade aspects. Why not listen to an intelligent businessman/scientist with years of experience in the field and take their points on board. 

He has certainly changed his tune a bit. A few years back he claimed it would be suicide for us not to join the euro and threatened to move his manufacturing overseas - something he did soon after.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rixalex said:

It's not disagreeing with and fighting against views of the government that makes you anti-democratic, it's disagreeing with and fighting against the outcome of a referendum that does.

Why is a referendum different to a GE - if my party lost in one I'd not be expected to support the winning one instead ?

11 minutes ago, Orac said:

I'm aware of the irony, fair enough point to make, but he does explain, in part, why he moved manufacturing out of the UK. Exorbitant interest rates being the major factor. To be fair though, the company did reinvest heavily in the HQ in Malmesbury, set up a new high tech campus on the former RAF Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire near Dyson HQ and still supposedly employs around 2000 people in the UK while its relocation to Malaysia/SGP created the loss of 65 jobs. The euro issue, I'm not aware of, possibly had sound reasoning at the time, I can't for the life of me see what it would have been, but hey. In any case I'm not hear to defend Mr.Dyson, business is business and its primarily about making profit after all, I am advocating his reasoning for us leaving the EU and the potential benefits, as someone in his position would understand better than most. He is one of many business people/entrepreneurs who expound the same brexit advocacy.  

4 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

adammike -

Making it up! Haha, funny stuff. But what you've replied with is (predictably) complete hokum I'm afraid. The majority in most European nations might not be against leaving the EU...yet, for a number of reasons that we could discuss all day. When you say the French (as though they all have one collective voice and mind) voted in Macron on a pro EU ticket, whilst being correct that Macron won the election, you ever so casually disregard the 10.8 million or 35% of those who voted the opposite way, for Le Pen too, not just anyone, the Front Nationale candidate!

35% of the vote (or nearly 11 million people) is a high proportion in anyone's book. And how about the 5 Star party in Italy winning 32.2% of the CoD and Senate votes this year, then there is Hungary and Denmark and the Netherlands who all look set to secede if the conditions prove conducive and the right political moves are made. It is worth considering your sources when reading 'polls' too, I should point out. I have had the opposite experience to you when talking with Europeans here in TH and across SE Asia in fact.

Just because you move in circles where Eurosceptic sentiment is unpopular it really doesn't mean that that is the case among vast swathes of the population of ALL European countries, not just the UK.    

Brexit has focused minds in the rest of the EU in favour of the EU ,Of course there is opposition to the ruling government in every country and opposition to the euro and the EU.The countries that have been in trouble the so called PIGS should never have been allowed into the euro zone Greece especially cooked the books,In fact more than a few countries are going through the process of joining the Euro.You won't hear anything positive sitting in a bar in Pattaya or reading most of the British press.The Netherlands is not going to leave the EU you are making that up I live there.I guess that Brussels would breath a sigh of relief if Hungary left.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, adammike said:

Brexit has focused minds in the rest of the EU in favour of the EU ,Of course there is opposition to the ruling government in every country and opposition to the euro and the EU.The countries that have been in trouble the so called PIGS should never have been allowed into the euro zone Greece especially cooked the books,In fact more than a few countries are going through the process of joining the Euro.You won't hear anything positive sitting in a bar in Pattaya or reading most of the British press.The Netherlands is not going to leave the EU you are making that up I live there.I guess that Brussels would breath a sigh of relief if Hungary left.

Typical retort...My views are those of a bigoted Pattaya barfly who only reads the British tabloids all day over a full English wearing an England football shirt, right? Yada yada yada... You answered none of my points either, other than apparently stating that because you live there you know the minds of all 17m of the Netherlands' inhabitants. I never said that NED will leave, being part of the eurozone and a founder member of the ECC makes that a very different prospect than it does for the UK for example. I am saying I have read from a wide number of sources that NED has a growing minority who would favour a referendum and that there is increasing Euroscepticism, as there is in a great many EEA member states. Can't say I blame them either.

I have spoken with a number of Dutch nationals around SE Asia, mostly in BKK, where I live, who favour it also. They aren't all old jaded alcoholic expats either, as I'm sure you might assume.

And yes, boot Hungary out! A country of utterly racist, parochial little bigots lead by a President and cabinet of backward looking gangsters.... the staunchly pro-EU party line goes something like that right?  ?

32 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I have had the opposite experience to you when talking with Europeans here in TH and across SE Asia in fact.

And I had a completely different experience. Now what?

Maybe check what those people you talk to earn, work, and have in their brains. Because based on my experience, that’s a pretty good indicator for their opinion towards the EU and many other topics:

The less educated, smart, financially stable and professional they are, the more likely will they be against the EU (and basically everything, as long as they can be against it), usually based on the same nonsense you hear from Brexiteers (I.e. accusations, paranoia, conspiracy theories, and castles in the sky lacking any factual evidence). 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

And I had a completely different experience. Now what?

Maybe check what those people you talk to earn, work, and have in their brains. Because based on my experience, that’s a pretty good indicator for their opinion towards the EU and many other topics:

The less educated, smart, financially stable and professional they are, the more likely will they be against the EU (and basically everything, as long as they can be against it), usually based on the same nonsense you hear from Brexiteers (I.e. accusations, paranoia, and conspiracy theories lacking any factual evidence). 

You sound like you could be the next President of the EU, pal.

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Statements like yours are exactly the reason many people voted to leave, and you still don't get it. You are a perfect advert for Leave.

I’m just sharing my personal experience. And don’t pretend to be surprised. Basically every poll analysis shows that those voting for Brexit, Le Pen, Wilders, AfD, Pis, Trump, etc. tend to share those similarities. 

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 3:55 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

“Having less say in our own affairs and less control from our age-old parliament is the right thing for us, as a nation?”

Putting aside the UK within the EU remains a sovereign nation with a sovereign Parliament, you seem to have missed the very real threat to Parliaments sovereignty that came, not from the EU but from Theresa May and her cabinet.

Theresa May’s Government have made repeated attempts to evade Parliamentary scrutiny and govern by executive decree.

She and her Government were only thwarted by the intervention of the House of Lords and the High Court. The latter when ‘enemies of the people’ made legal challenge to stop the Government governing by executive decree.

The enemy of British Parliamentary sovereignty is residing in No 10.

Actually, I find EU influence a comfort and a tangible benefit in many ways. I am well travelled and I can tell you that, sadly, the U.K. Is far from being top of the class in many areas. We retain excellence in certain fields such as academe generally and many art forms. I will retire to Denmark

30 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m just sharing my personal experience. And don’t pretend to be surprised. Basically every poll analysis shows that those voting for Brexit, Le Pen, Wilders, AfD, Pis, Trump, etc. tend to share those similarities. 

Nonsense 

• Like 1