UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

From the BBC news website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45385421

interesting read

a question to you guys that know uk politicians;

this nick bole -mp -former minister chap; is he mostly daft and living in a world of his own ?

or up and going like any average uk mp?

I have asked this before;

it is not clear to me what a no deal brexit actually means,

no cu no sm no 4 freedoms , wto, I understand

but what about all the other areas that keep uk running

air traf

road traf

marin traf

rail traf

coop;

border checks

spooks

police

rnss

research

medical stuff

etc

etc

the list is VERY long

7 minutes ago, tebee said:

May vows no compromise with EU on Brexit plan

Ok, what about the compromises needed to get the rest of her own party to accept it ?

I still can't see that plan going anywhere...

yes, I also noted that,

a pretty awful way of starting final difficult negotiations, but very typical of UK

sounds a bit like the no no no no no lady in her haydays

35 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

interesting read

a question to you guys that know uk politicians;

this nick bole -mp -former minister chap; is he mostly daft and living in a world of his own ?

or up and going like any average uk mp?

I have asked this before;

it is not clear to me what a no deal brexit actually means,

no cu no sm no 4 freedoms , wto, I understand

but what about all the other areas that keep uk running

air traf

road traf

marin traf

rail traf

coop;

border checks

spooks

police

rnss

research

medical stuff

etc

etc

the list is VERY long

No deal = no deal on anything 

No transition !

There is a possibility of No deal + deal  = No deal + separate deals on all or some of the above, but I don't see there being time to negotiate this.

50 minutes ago, tebee said:

May vows no compromise with EU on Brexit plan

Ok, what about the compromises needed to get the rest of her own party to accept it ?

I still can't see that plan going anywhere...

If the BBC précis of the article is to be believed what she said doesn't actually coincide with the headline:

"Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, the prime minister says she will "not be pushed" into compromises on her Chequers agreement that are not in the "national interest"."

That leaves lots of wiggle room.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Is that the 2016 will, or the 2018 will, which would appear to be somewhat different?

The 2016 will was written in stone. The 2018 will is only arguable and only mooted by the people who won't accept the democratic will of the people in 2016, and the overwhelming voice of Parliament in triggering Article 50 or come to think of it Mrs May's declaration "There will be no Second Referendum"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tebee said:

No deal = no deal on anything 

No transition !

There is a possibility of No deal + deal  = No deal + separate deals on all or some of the above, but I don't see there being time to negotiate this.

if that is so,

in case no deal exit - 1.st April next year will bring some hefty surprises

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

if that is so,

in case no deal exit - 1.st April next year will bring some hefty surprises

Yes it's going to be ......interesting? isn't it...

1 hour ago, Stupooey said:

Is that the 2016 will, or the 2018 will, which would appear to be somewhat different?

That is for EVERY election that is held in the UK.

Unless of course YOU know differently. For you to know differently there needs to be a poll.

Who will conduct the poll?

What will the questions be?

Who will select the questions?

How big a sample will there be? 1,000, 10,000, 100,000, 1,000,000?

How much will it cost and who will pay for it?

Do you think there should be a poll on EVERY decision that parliament makes?

Nobody has any real idea what ALL of the people in the UK want but that is why there are general elections every 5 yeaars maximum. 650 people are chosen from the population to make that decision on behalf of everybody so let them do their job.

As an alternative you could stand as a candidate at the next election and if you win you can make a very small contribution to changing the rules.

This is a small forum in Thailand that nobody in the UK government reads and 95% of the UK population has never heard of or could care about.

• Like 2

But how exactly are you sure the brexit we are getting is the will of the people?

It seems to be difficult to persuade convincingly that a customs facilitation common rulebook thingummybob represents the unanimous and unadulterated will of the people for example.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Isn't that what I said in my post quoted above?

The only difference seems to be that you think if parliament is unable to obtain a super majority on their decision re. the 'the final deal'  - then the original referendum result should be ignored.

Whereas I think that the opposite.  If they are unable to obtain a super majority on 'the final deal'  in a second referendum, then the govt. has to honour the original referendum result - i.e. leave.

I understand your point of view.

My opinion is that a parliamentary decision is required and that, as this is a constitution issue, and because of the history, parliament should ask for ratification by a super majority. That, IMO, is the ONLY way to avoid civil war.

20 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

way to late to backtrack and change the whole interpretation of the referendum.

that would create mega havoc

I guess there are two lessons to learn from this mess;

1) do not vote Tory

2) create clear guidelines and rules re interpretation of results before arranging a ref.

There is no interpretation to be made. Parliament can if it so wishes run another referendum or not. As for the lesson to be learned not to vote Tory that is a nonsense when the alternative on the table is Corbyn.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aright said:

I agree that Parliament can make, amend or cancel any law it wants to but it serves no purpose in the eye of the electorate if it ignores the will of the people as demonstrated by the triggering of Article 50 when it was obvious some MP's were voting against their own convictions. 

Only the first sentence makes sense until the "but...", and then it is just opinionated stuff of the typical variety. There is no defined 'will of the people' (which is conflated with Hard Brexit, still pushing that dead donkey), and as for MPs and 'convictions', just more second-rate junk.

Edited by SheungWan

48 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There is no defined 'will of the people' (which is conflated with Hard Brexit, still pushing that dead donkey),

Well the British Prime Minister disagrees with you on your 2 substantive points, as per her reported statements today in the Sunday Telegraph and the BBC: ie  the will of the people, and a hard bexit (which she is clearly not aiming for). She didn't have anything to say about donkeys though.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

As an alternative you could stand as a candidate at the next election and if you win you can make a very small contribution to changing the rules.

This is a small forum in Thailand that nobody in the UK government reads and 95% of the UK population has never heard of or could care about.

Your 1st paragraph really makes me smile, it brings the many political pronouncements on this thread down a peg or 200, which has always been a great British tradition.

Agree with your 2nd para, with the minor amendment that the %age should be 99.9999. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Only the first sentence makes sense until the "but...", and then it is just opinionated stuff of the typical variety. There is no defined 'will of the people' (which is conflated with Hard Brexit, still pushing that dead donkey), and as for MPs and 'convictions', just more second-rate junk.

I agree the will of the people gives only the right to petition the government but you have to ask yourself how can you have a mandate to govern without the will of the people. The Government would get short shrift (poll tax). Of the myriad laws in this country how many are not at the greater will of the people?

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

It's a very good question. Some issues have more immediate impact than others. Some have limited impact on UK and EU operations short or long term. Naturally they will all be handled by relevant agencies, not by a couple of negotiators at loggerheads over a table. But they will all need the negotiators and the approving bodies of both the UK and the EU to set the framework.

But when they're all piled together it looks much more scary. We used to call this overwhelmed type of thinking "boiling the ocean".

One of the problems of the EU IMHO  is that so much has been bundled into the original Common Market that really would have been better off elsewhere. For example, there are other trans-European bodies, like the Council of Europe, which might be a better way of co-ordinating certain programmes.

The Research Programme that you refer to is one that I would like to see uncoupled from the EU. It could equally well be handled in a different way. Galileo might be another.

And this underscores one of the most important criticisms of the EU. It has become a huge monolithic body that wants to suck control over much more than is necessary and much more than is healthy.

there aren't that many pan European bodies of treaty stature

the council, sure, could handle some programmes

then you have esf, European science foundation, pretty good body, non treaty though

could still handle some stuff

galileo, and pmtm's new sat baby, must be handled pretty much as today,

must be strongly linked to member states (not eu - but member states) if not they

would not enjoy uplink/donwlink/orbital resources

and would not be able to coordinate the birds

setting up new pan european bodies to handle the massive list of agencies? desirable? my guess is no

tricky shit this I'll have another belhaven

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

There is no interpretation to be made. Parliament can if it so wishes run another referendum or not. As for the lesson to be learned not to vote Tory that is a nonsense when the alternative on the table is Corbyn.

the alternative is Labour, not Corbyn,

there are numerous ways of making it crystal clear to Labour that Corbyn is not desirable in the cabinet - if that is important to the masses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

there aren't that many pan European bodies of treaty stature

the council, sure, could handle some programmes

then you have esf, European science foundation, pretty good body, non treaty though

could still handle some stuff

galileo, and pmtm's new sat baby, must be handled pretty much as today,

must be strongly linked to member states (not eu - but member states) if not they

would not enjoy uplink/donwlink/orbital resources

and would not be able to coordinate the birds

setting up new pan european bodies to handle the massive list of agencies? desirable? my guess is no

tricky shit this I'll have another belhaven

forgot,

there is a small radiocommunication/telecommunication treaty body in Copenhagen, could be considered

then you have well known, cen - cenelec - etsi, non treaty though

Britain’s leading role in evaluating new medicines for sale to patients across the EU has collapsed with no more work coming from Europe because of Brexit, it has emerged.

The decision by the European Medicines Agency to cut Britain out of its contracts seven months ahead of Brexit is a devastating blow to British pharmaceutical companies already reeling from the loss of the EMA’s HQ in London and with it 900 jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/02/britain-loses-medicines-contracts-as-eu-body-anticipates-brexit

7 hours ago, tebee said:

But how exactly are you sure the brexit we are getting is the will of the people?

Quite, no one has any idea what he will of the people actually was as it was never specified. It is not out of the question that a leave and remain scenario would be acceptable to the majority of the people. Just think of the benefit, billions available for essential services as no new 'sat nav' would be required.