UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

There does seem to be a citizen path to Republic of Ireland for some Northern Irelanders.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Yes indeed, in fact, although English I am so entitled as my paternal grandmother was born in what is now The Republic of Ireland. But the formal claim to the territory was relinquished.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

There does seem to be a citizen path to Republic of Ireland for some Northern Irelanders.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

as far as I can see the door to Irish citizenship is open to almost everybody from NI

23 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

> I believe the issue was control of borders, rather than closing borders.

> Trafficking? Ireland is not in Schengen, but it is in the Common Travel Area with the UK, and this situation is unlikely to change. Consequently, people trafficking and illegal immigration over the border will be no more an issue than it is now.

> The NI/Ireland border has a comparatively low volume of trade, and the trade is much more homogenous than other UK-EU trade - in other words it is much moe manageable than other UK-EU trade borders. There are already cross border differences and checks, for example VAT and animal checks; these can be built upon to create an invisible border after the UK exits. Various solutions have been put forward to maintain an invisible border. The Irish border "issue" is a good example of the EU's politicking and cherry-picking.

Maybe you can explain how cattle will differentiate between one agricultural policy and another. First sign of a problem and there will be a fence across Ireland before you know it.

As for your views on 'smuggling', in whatever form it takes, there are those that would not agree with you.

People smugglers are “abusing” soft border controls between Ireland and the UK to get their human cargo past authorities, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has warned.

Officials told The Independent they were concerned about an increase in the number of gangs found to be working through the common travel area, which the government has said it wants to maintain after Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/ireland-uk-border-passports-people-smuggling-common-travel-area-nca-a8433286.html

Whoa, post Brexit UK is saved! For a while I was a bit worried what happens to our island brothers and sisters. Fortunately Michael Gove has a plan how to get UK back to prosperity!  

Michael Gove’s hot tip: hunt for gold in others’ rubbish

Michael Gove has a plan to boost post-Brexit Britain — open the nation’s waste dumps for business.

The environment secretary wants all council waste sites to let people pick over reject appliances, old TVs and half-used paint cans to find things they can use.

If some find the idea Dickensian, they could be right. Gove is a fan of Charles Dickens one of whose books, Our Mutual Friend, is about a family who become rich by sifting rubbish for valuables.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a6c046c4-c998-11e8-87c7-eeebbaac8ad7

16 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Whoa, post Brexit UK is saved! For a while I was a bit worried what happens to our island brothers and sisters. Fortunately Michael Gove has a plan how to get UK back to prosperity!  

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a6c046c4-c998-11e8-87c7-eeebbaac8ad7

here is another great biz opportunity for UK after Brexit;

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1060375-lonely-female-shoppers-in-china-can-now-rent-‘shopping-boyfriends’-by-the-hour/?tab=comments#comment-13431499

lots of Chinese lasses would just love to hire a brit to carry their parcels . . .

49 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

here is another great biz opportunity for UK after Brexit;

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1060375-lonely-female-shoppers-in-china-can-now-rent-‘shopping-boyfriends’-by-the-hour/?tab=comments#comment-13431499

lots of Chinese lasses would just love to hire a brit to carry their parcels . . .

Perhaps especially those in the Hong Kong area? A bit of pay-back for all those sunken ships and opium-dependent compatriots in the 19th century?? ???? 

I doubt it would catch on as a wider scheme, but if they were attractive enough I, for one, might be available for hire. ???? 

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Maybe you can explain how cattle will differentiate between one agricultural policy and another. First sign of a problem and there will be a fence across Ireland before you know it.

As for your views on 'smuggling', in whatever form it takes, there are those that would not agree with you.

People smugglers are “abusing” soft border controls between Ireland and the UK to get their human cargo past authorities, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has warned.

Officials told The Independent they were concerned about an increase in the number of gangs found to be working through the common travel area, which the government has said it wants to maintain after Brexit.

> There are already cattle checks, one proposal is to increase the use of  existing locations for checking cattle.

> I haven't given you an opinion on smuggling, but if you want one: there are already checks for VAT fraud,  one proposal is to increase the use of such checks for smuggling.

> Regarding human trafficking or people smuggling or illegal immigration across the Irish border: Brexit will not affect this one way or the other, as exactly the same provisions are expected to apply after Brexit, to wit Ireland will remain in the Common Travel Area with the UK, and outside of Schengen, as I've already mentioed. This is not a Brexit issue.

18 hours ago, tebee said:

According to the latest polls there is now a majority for union with the South if the UK leaves the EU.

16 hours ago, Stupooey said:

Possibly the only good thing to come out of Brexit if that happens.

I agree insofar as  it would undoubtedly be a good idea to hold a referendum in N. Ireland (after the uk has left the eu), on whether they would prefer to remain with the uk or, prefer to unite with S.Ireland.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the English population would be more than happy if N. Ireland voted to join S. Ireland!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree insofar as  it would undoubtedly be a good idea to hold a referendum in N. Ireland (after the uk has left the eu), on whether they would prefer to remain with the uk or, prefer to unite with S.Ireland.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the English population would be more than happy if N. Ireland voted to join S. Ireland!

yeah, sure

another expense gone

3 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

> There are already cattle checks, one proposal is to increase the use of  existing locations for checking cattle.

> I haven't given you an opinion on smuggling, but if you want one: there are already checks for VAT fraud,  one proposal is to increase the use of such checks for smuggling.

> Regarding human trafficking or people smuggling or illegal immigration across the Irish border: Brexit will not affect this one way or the other, as exactly the same provisions are expected to apply after Brexit, to wit Ireland will remain in the Common Travel Area with the UK, and outside of Schengen, as I've already mentioed. This is not a Brexit issue.

You seem to have forgotten that the cattle north of the border are still in the EU.

You are perfectly free to believe that anything that happens post brexit is not a brexit issue.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Which pretty much strengthens the Scottish argument for another vote on devolution and I guess by default the same option for Wales too.  I am not against any of that if that is the will of the people.  I am sure we can all see how frustrating it is for those parts of Britain being governed by that shower in the Houses of Parliament.  I know many of the English find that. ????

Mr Barnier last November.

Let me say a few words on Ireland specifically.

We need to preserve stability and dialogue on the island of Ireland.

We need to avoid a hard border.

I know that this point is politically sensitive in the UK.

It is not less sensitive in Ireland.

Some in the UK say that specific rules for Northern Ireland would “endanger the integrity of the UK single market”.

But Northern Ireland already has specific rules in many areas that are different to the rest of the UK.

Think of the “all-Island” electricity market, or of the specific regulations for plant health for the whole island of Ireland.

Think of rules that prevent and handle animal disease, which I know well as a former Minister for Agriculture.

There are over one hundred areas of cross-border cooperation on the island of Ireland.

Such cooperation depends in many cases on the application of common rules and common regulatory space.

We have nearly finished our common reading of the Good Friday Agreement. We have agreed on the principles for the Common Travel Area.

The UK and the EU have recognised that Ireland poses specific challenges. And that the unique circumstances there require a specific solution.

On the EU side, we must preserve the integrity of the Single Market and the Customs Union at 27. The rules for this are clear.

The UK said it would continue to apply some EU rules on its territory. But not all rules.

What is therefore unclear is what rules will apply in Northern Ireland after Brexit. And what the UK is willing to commit to, in order to avoid a hard border.

I expect the UK, as co-guarantor of the Good Friday Agreement, to come forward with proposals.

The island of Ireland is now faced with many challenges.

Those who wanted Brexit must offer solutions.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-17-4765_en.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

What's with the S. Ireland? It's the Republic.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Wouldn't that be ironic; our biggest stumbling block to leaving the EU being the Irish border, possibly leading to many complications and potentially a worse deal - then the Irish go and unite the island anyway!

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Good to see the Japanese still recognise the UK as a global player. Pity these positive Brexit stories are rather hidden on the BBC website, whereas they give any negative story front page billing!

Brexit: Japan 'would welcome' UK to TPP says Abe

While the UK would lose its role as a gateway to Europe after Brexit, it would retain its "global strength", Shinzo Abe told the FT.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45780889

Abe does see a negative impact of Brexit, or he wouldn’t have said that "I truly hope that the negative impact of Brexit to the global economy, including Japanese businesses, will be minimised."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

> The issue of people crossing the Irish border post-Brexit is not a Brexit issue, because nothing will change post-Brexit: Ireland will remain in the Common Travel Area with the the UK, and outside of Schengen. It is not a Brexit issue. I've said this three times now:  Irish citizens will continue to have the right to move freely between Ireland and the UK just as they currently do, and vice versa for UK citizens.

I understand your frustration. Some people on TVF (and of course the wider world) simply don't want to listen to fact and reason. It must threaten both their perceived identity & personal world view too much to base opinions they hold about Brexit on fact rather than their own emotional reaction to it. 

That, in my opinion, is why we've seen such little informed, fact based debate coming from the remain camp and vastly more identity politics and slander.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, damascase said:

Abe does see a negative impact of Brexit, or he wouldn’t have said that "I truly hope that the negative impact of Brexit to the global economy, including Japanese businesses, will be minimised."

I'm sure we all hope both sides will come to a sensible agreement, leading to an orderly exit.  I think that’s becoming more and more likely.

I was also alluding to the fact that many Remainers (and some Finns/Belgians ????) continually suggest the UK is no longer a global force.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I was also alluding to the fact that many Remainers (and some Finns/Belgians ????) continually suggest the UK is no longer a global force.

You called? ????

11 hours ago, JAG said:

The Republic formally relinquished that claim as part of the Good Friday Agreement.

But if the UK government breaks the agreement through brexit, then all bets are off.   

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'm sure we all hope both sides will come to a sensible agreement, leading to an orderly exit.  I think that’s becoming more and more likely.

Well, in theory one might ask: what's the big deal? 

But the reality is vested interests- political, national, and economic.  Added is the fact that Brexit has been hi-jacked by the right wing which is intent on a plan that is basically not wanted by a big majority of the electorate, and certainly not wanted in N.Ireland, and Scotland.

It's worth saying too that Remainers are right in a key aspect, in that a web of whopping lies was spun.

Leavers, who after all won the right to Brexit, look to the opposition all round, but isn't it more the case that they are trying to foist a deal that most people simply don't want?  That's why there has been so much bitterness and acrimony.

I truly hope Labour stick to their guns and demands any deal meets their 6 tests. This needs to go back to the people. It's not that I am opposed to Brexit as such, but not one at any cost, and certainly not one that threatens the integrity of the UK.  I want a Great Britain (in or out of the EU) not a little England.

29 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well, in theory one might ask: what's the big deal? 

But the reality is vested interests- political, national, and economic.  Added is the fact that Brexit has been hi-jacked by the right wing which is intent on a plan that is basically not wanted by a big majority of the electorate, and certainly not wanted in N.Ireland, and Scotland.

It's worth saying too that Remainers are right in a key aspect, in that a web of whopping lies was spun.

Leavers, who after all won the right to Brexit, look to the opposition all round, but isn't it more the case that they are trying to foist a deal that most people simply don't want?  That's why there has been so much bitterness and acrimony.

I truly hope Labour stick to their guns and demands any deal meets their 6 tests. This needs to go back to the people. It's not that I am opposed to Brexit as such, but not one at any cost, and certainly not one that threatens the integrity of the UK.  I want a Great Britain (in or out of the EU) not a little England.

Labour and testing;

1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?

2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?

3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?

4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?

5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?

6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

pretty tall call me thinks.

dream on

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

A web of whopping lies was spun by both sides. Ultimately people voted with their gut, and more Brits are anti-EU than are pro-EU.  

I think the chances of a 2nd referendum are slim to zero now.

'Ultimately people voted with their gut'.

But that's really not enough is it? I mean it's so much more than just wanting, and wishing! It's an interesting point though, because I think another referendum would produce much the same result. However, when we come down to specific issues, such as the type of deal, it's funny that people are resoundingly behind the single market option, or more precisely against anything that smacks of hard Brexit. I guess the questions are a reality check.

Yes, it should be noted there were lies on the Remain side too, as big, maybe bigger.  But what can you say?... two wrongs never made a right.

If Labour dig their heels in, and why shouldn't they because the likely plan simply won't meet what was envisaged (as we might politely say). and is simply not what people want, then anything could happen, so to say there won't be a second referendum of some sort is somewhat optimistic imo. What we saw last week was a show of stability and calm, but how long will that last?

At root, Brexit in anything other than single market form is simply unpopular, and so too is staying in the EU. A poison chalice made worse by toxic lies on both sides. 

Edited by mommysboy