UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

Here's a link to an FT.com article concerning some points possibly overlooked by brexiters in relation to the fishing industry Here are a few excerpts:

... while the Scottish fishing fleet depends relatively little on non-UK waters, the English fleet traditionally catches its fish in Irish, French and Norwegian, as well as UK, waters.

...UK vessels benefit from the right to fish large quantities of cod in north Norwegian waters that are paid for by transfers of other stocks that are mainly of valule to other EU countries.

... the UK fishing industry depends heavily on exports to the EU, so is vulnerable to tariffs. 

https://www.ft.com/content/84f51c84-5fe2-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You're meant to read them yourself!

The FT is behind a paywall. By the way, the recommended approach is to quote from the article - contrary to what Tebee said it's perfectly acceptable to make a short quote from the article - with a self-written intro, plus a link.

A number of posters frequently post links without actually reading the link - this is obvious to those of us who do take the time to research the issues rather than post meaningless one-liners - and frequently the article contradicts what the poster thinks it says.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Here's a link to an FT.com article concerning some points possibly overlooked by brexiters in relation to the fishing industry Here are a few excerpts:

... while the Scottish fishing fleet depends relatively little on non-UK waters, the English fleet traditionally catches its fish in Irish, French and Norwegian, as well as UK, waters.

...UK vessels benefit from the right to fish large quantities of cod in north Norwegian waters that are paid for by transfers of other stocks that are mainly of valule to other EU countries.

... the UK fishing industry depends heavily on exports to the EU, so is vulnerable to tariffs. 

As always Brexit creates more problems than it fixes !

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The FT is behind a paywall. By the way, the recommended approach is to quote from the article - contrary to what Tebee said it's perfectly acceptable to make a short quote from the article - with a self-written intro, plus a link.

But it's easily bypassed.

1 minute ago, tebee said:

As always Brexit creates more problems than it fixes !

There's also the fact that as far as I'm aware, fish don't need permission to cross into territorial waters..  So if quotas aren't established and enforced, that makes overfishing far more likely. There really is no way around international rules and regulations when it comes to fishing. Whether it's a body of water abutting only one nation or several.

For UK (and it could end up being England only) to succeed we will have to go the way of Singapore. I don't believe we'll ever be that right wing and even a Tory government will maintain some form of welfare system, but it's the only strategy that will work when you consider our current talents.  

Some comfort for me- I'd love to see us as a dynamic, liberal economy running rings around the sclerotic EU, but make no mistake there is an enormously heavy price to pay.  Spare a thought for the poor!

I agree with many that an FTA agreement such as the so called Canada plus is probably the best that can be obtained if we want overseas trade deals.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

the English fleet traditionally catches its fish in Irish, French and Norwegian, as well as UK, waters.

If really the case, then that's interesting and is news to me. I would wager that they were bilateral agreements that didn't include 'lopsided quotas' that are disadvantageous to the domestic industries of certain countries and were not imposed by a governing body like the EC. I'm def. not an expert on the fishing industry though. 

UK vessels benefit from the right to fish large quantities of cod in north Norwegian waters that are paid for by transfers of other stocks that are mainly of valule to other EU countries

To be fair though, the Norwegians don't have other nation's vessels pillaging their national waters in the same way as the UK does via these 'quotas' , so they can afford to allocate some of their stocks for subsidy, as they've plenty for themselves in the first place.

the UK fishing industry depends heavily on exports to the EU, so is vulnerable to tariffs. 

True enough I'm sure, however, once they aren't able to pilfer stocks in British waters with impunity and will rely on export from the UK (among others) for certain popular species, EU nations will have to play with kid gloves if they want to continue consuming their favourite seafood as readily, to some extent at least, surely?

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Good news!  The prospect of a deal on financial services.

My opinion and guess (if that's ok with Bildy!????)- this was always going to happen as it's the one sector where the EU needs the UK more.  

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/01/brexit-deal-on-financial-services-agreed-report

One more reason not to have no deal ! 

Good.

• Like 1

An abiding quality of rational, intelligent people is the ability, when faced with the vicissitudes of life, to calmly and confidently change one’s mind without appearing foolish or losing the respect of one’s peers.

Indeed, there are few things likely to undermine that respect more than a stubborn refusal to accept when one is clearly wrong. Such wisdom and maturity separates adults from children and the enlightened from the ideologue.

Having the courage to admit “we’re making a big mistake here”, however confident we might have been in our chosen course of action, is what differentiates real leaders from those timid souls, too fearful of derision to do the right thing.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/opinion-time-to-grow-up-and-change-our-minds-about-brexit

21 minutes ago, tebee said:

An abiding quality of rational, intelligent people is the ability, when faced with the vicissitudes of life, to calmly and confidently change one’s mind without appearing foolish or losing the respect of one’s peers.

Indeed, there are few things likely to undermine that respect more than a stubborn refusal to accept when one is clearly wrong. Such wisdom and maturity separates adults from children and the enlightened from the ideologue.

Having the courage to admit “we’re making a big mistake here”, however confident we might have been in our chosen course of action, is what differentiates real leaders from those timid souls, too fearful of derision to do the right thing.

I sincerely wish you would review your posts on this thread in the light of this advice.

• Like 1

Just now, tebee said:

If someone can give me a cogent reason why Brexit will solve the UK problems, without creating worse ones, I'll be happy to reconsider my point of view.

In three and a half years I've not heard one.

It worries me too that it is something supported by the extreme left and extreme right - to me this seems it must be something inherently bad 

Would it allay your fears any to know that it's also supported by Putin?

• Haha 1

More results from HSBC's recent survey

The survey of 500 companies found 40pc see Brexit as positive against 31pc who believe it is negative and 22pc who anticipate no impact.

In part this may be because companies believe themselves to be ready for leaving the EU - 83pc said they are prepared for Brexit.

This includes reviewing contracts to make sure any potential changes are addressed.

“British exporters remain bullish on international trade prospects and are clearly capitalising on the cheaper pound and increased demand for their products around the world,” said Amanda Murphy at HSBC."

• Like 2