UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

To be fair, Farage arranging dual nationality for his family is of interest.

Just now, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I don't really see why. So because he wants the UK to leave the EU his offspring cannot or should not take advantage of their mother's heritage? 

It has nothing to do with the reasons for leaving the EU. His kids are simply lucky that they are dual national - like mine is, as are my cousins. I envy their dual nationality, but again is it reason enough to stay in the EU ?  It is undoubtedly the biggest (for me the only tangible positive) of remaining in the EU - the ability to travel and work visa-free, but is it worth the multitude of cons that go along with it? Not a chance, especially when you can apply for a visa and (depending on certain criteria being fulfilled) can experience the same benefits in most regards. I imagined you'd agree with this Dick, judging by your record on here? 

"I don't really see why. So because he wants the UK to leave the EU his offspring cannot or should not take advantage of their mother's heritage?"

Yes.

• Confused 2

Don't follow your logic there at all.

The ONLY argument that could be made is that it could have been more tactful to delay such a process until later? I don't know the detail of when this happened or why. Other than that, as I said it's not as if dual nationality for children is some kind of luxury, it is unobtainable by / for literally anyone on earth, given they/their offspring satisfy the correct criteria.

• Like 2

Just now, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I don't really see why. So because he wants the UK to leave the EU his offspring cannot or should not take advantage of their mother's heritage? 

It has nothing to do with the reasons for leaving the EU. His kids are simply lucky that they are dual national - like mine is, as are my cousins. I envy their dual nationality, but again is it reason enough to stay in the EU ?  It is undoubtedly the biggest (for me the only tangible positive) of remaining in the EU - the ability to travel and work visa-free, but is it worth the multitude of cons that go along with it? Not a chance, especially when you can apply for a visa and (depending on certain criteria being fulfilled) can experience the same benefits in most regards. I imagined you'd agree with this Dick, judging by your record on here? 

I'm only talking about Farage (the prime advocate for leaving the eu), obtaining dual nationality for his family.  It's so hypocritical.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

In my view we should simply stop wasting everyone's time and put someone (a Leaver) at the helm who takes the position to leave asap on WTO rules - and then get on with it. Let the sky fall and the four horseman ride yada yada yada...

Perhaps they should keep on voting in new PMs until they get it right.

26 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

As I understand, freedom of movement is one of the key issues, one of the first freedoms that Farage would like to take away.

And he’s still taking money from the EU, and probably always will as they will be paying his pension. 

A lot of the elderly voted Brexit because they are sitting in mortgage free houses with nice pensions ... if it goes wrong they won’t suffer. They’ll get a shock when Mr Corbyn introduces wealth taxes to pay for his nationalisation and state spending plans.

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Again, I don't really see how it is.

For the reasons I have stated above. They are entitled to dual nationality via the heritage of their mother, not from him, as would any number of other people in the UK now or after Brexit, some of which probably voted to Leave - does that make them hypocrites too? It could be a little tactless to apply for it now, but again - do you know it was his decision? Could well be his wife's or his childrens'.

Has he or his family expressed any interest in living in Germany?

So why apply for dual nationality now?

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

But if you did want to go there simply get a visa, as you have to in many other countries.

It isn't rocket science.

A lot of people fancied the idea of retiring in Europe, that’s screwed up now ... I don’t think holiday plans were ever the issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I don't know where you get your 2 organisations from, certainly not from my comments. As far as I am aware the only proposal on the table is closer co-operation between existing entities so nothing new. The UK are not included as far as the EU are concerned they are out already.

The reality is that there is very little chance of the EU ever becoming a NATO member, as it is in the WTO, the US would never allow it, as far as they are concerned division is the name of the game.

The 2 organisation are the existing NATO forces and the EU wannabe military force, if it ever happens

Many EU countries are already in NATO, and the EU itself isn't a country anyway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

A lot of people fancied the idea of retiring in Europe, that’s screwed up now ... I don’t think holiday plans were ever the issue.

I doubt any plans of "retiring in Europe" are "screwed up now".

As long as they're not working and genuinely retired - I'm pretty sure they'll be fine.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Tell that to the youngsters who were sure that their holiday plans would be far more difficult if brexit happened ????!

Studying through the Erasmus system and settling as a retiree where concerns. It wasn’t about holidays. Whilst it is still possible to work in Europe it will be much more difficult for young people. 

The good news is that more youngsters will be participating in the inevitable people’s vote. :burp:

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

As long as they're not working and genuinely retired - I'm pretty sure they'll be fine.

re being fine, I think that will somewhat depend on the country in question

Spain will likely sort it speedily - they need the bobs and quids

Netherland probably ok, they are flexible and pragmatic - mostly

Italy, not sure

France, not sure

Portugal - probably OK - need farthings

Sweden has made or is in the final stages of making a legal package catering for ripple rulers after Brexit

Norway has already completed a legal package catering for UKers post Brexit,

it is presently out for public consultation

a deal dependent package - if no deal Brexit the package must be reworked

Denmark? dunno

Germany? dunno

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Italy, not sure

France, not sure

Sweden has made or is in the final stages of making a legal package catering for ripple rulers after Brexit

Denmark? dunno

Germany? dunno

I was just thinking....

Whopper.jpg.94f6fcdc8110515e00ac118f32bd75e7.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Italy, not sure

France, not sure

Denmark? dunno

Germany? dunno

I was just thinking....

Whopper.jpg.94f6fcdc8110515e00ac118f32bd75e7.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Expat always overvalued their worth to a country. In future retirees will need to show proof of income, property ownership will come into doubt and of course the big one I'd they'll need pay for their own health care.

Any work will be taken.into account and they will need to register with the local authorities. They will be immigrants like people from anywhere outside the EU

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Actually I think it would be the same result. Outside London there is a lot more dissatisfaction with Europe than there has ever been, especially with the way that TM has (appeared) to be treated by Brussels. You may get more young left wing uni-grads voting but a lot will say they will vote but won't. I bet my bottom dollar those OAPS will be out in force even more so.

Difficult for the over-65's to come out in even more force; after all, turnout in that age group was 90% in 2016. Bearing in mind that, according to Alzheimer's UK, over 7% of over-65's suffer from dementia, the turnout was effectively 97%. Unless, of course.......

Disclaimer: before anyone applies 'Brexit Logic' to this post, I am not saying, nor even implying, that all Leave voters were or are demented.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes but they will end up with the same sort of frustrations as the retired people here, paperwork, visas and always having to prove their income. Unless the can afford private health care they will have to return to the UK and be a burden on the NHS in case of major illness.

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

People who cannot organise a plot of 48 people writing letters think they can organise a successful Brexit.

I enjoyed watching the arrogant Steve Baker stuttering as his predictions fail with each day passing. Tactically, the ERG are a bunch of morons. I suspect a challenge will come if the plan gets rejected in parliament ... and when Labour finally realise that no general election is forthcoming you will start to see cross party MP's move towards a people's vote ... and I think the ERG have seriously miscalculated how that will turn out. The irony of this long running saga is that the eurosceptics get their Brexit after years of trying only to throw it away for the sake of ideological purity. 

Edited by AlexRich
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, transam said:

So the foreigners in the UK ain't milking the NHS, not a burden....Good grief....????

There are more foreigners working in the NHS than there are using it !

• Haha 1