UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

4 minutes ago, kwilco said:

We've had "project fear" from the Times, Sunday time Guardian, Observer, the Sun, Express, and Daily Mail and now the Financial Times....

https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372b-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e

Where is "project whoopee"?

I haven't heard a peep from them....... but I stopped taking the Beano several years ago.

May 2017 is now?

4 hours ago, adammike said:

And theirs me thinking in the case of the comet it was metal fatigue.What are the statistics that the cause of the bridge to collapse were, 1/ designed by Italians 2/ built by Italians 3/ constructed with mafia supplied concrete.

What are the bookies saying about brexit? Somebody should post the odds every day of a hard v soft v no brexit they know their maths.

Cpk for production quality. Statistics are just not well enough understood for general discussion. Drop it.

8 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

'Lies, damn lies and statistics' has been a common expression/joke for a very long time.  It's probably time to add 'polls' to that list! ?

While it's true that statistics can be used as 'fools gold' for the people who don't understand the larger image, statistics also give a good understanding about masses when done and interpreted right. 

Apparently there are people among us, who are so anti education and anti science that they are willing to throw statistics to the pile of burning books.

I feel sorry for those souls, whose belief of their mission is so strong that no evidence can alter their views. 

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Cpk for production quality. Statistics are just not well enough understood for general discussion. Drop it.

After one post I have to drop it? I don't have to take orders from anybody posting here(mods maybe) you guys with your university degrees and understanding of statistics can just dismiss us plebs as you please.A word to the wise that's how you got brexit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Quite correct re the, "that's how you got Brexit" comment.

"The great unwashed" were suspicious that they were being ignored and talked down to. And everything that has occurred since the referendum has confirmed that those suspicions were spot on. Now those same "unwashed" people KNOW that they are being ignored and talked down to, not just suspect it, thanks to the sort of rhetoric we see from the EU, from certain MPs, from the media, from Blair, Geldoff, Major et al, and from remainers in general.

Farage and other Brexiteers really need not campaign too hard. The remain camp is doing it for them.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No comment necessary 

13 minutes ago, rixalex said:

"The great unwashed" were suspicious that they were being ignored and talked down to. And everything that has occurred since the referendum has confirmed that those suspicions were spot on. Now those same "unwashed" people KNOW that they are being ignored and talked down to, not just suspect it, thanks to the sort of rhetoric we see from the EU, from certain MPs, from the media, from Blair, Geldoff, Major et al, and from remainers in general.

Farage and other Brexiteers really need not campaign too hard. The remain camp is doing it for them.

Do I need to care how Farage and other little Russian dolls wish to collapse UK's wellbeing? No, I really don't. 

I however see it's a great tragedy that UK has chosen this path of self destruction. It's not good for UK nor for EU. It's good for Russian oligarchs , who see divided Europe easier to deal to deal with, than strong EU. 

This whole idea of creating division in Europe, is based on few Russian billionaires, who would benefit of it. It's rather sad that we have people so willingly doing their bidding for them. 

One for none, all for a billionaire. That's just fools game, which is not democracy but moneycracy. 

1 hour ago, rixalex said:

It's a bitch as I am a remainer,that's life I guess.

9 hours ago, adammike said:

After one post I have to drop it? I don't have to take orders from anybody posting here(mods maybe) you guys with your university degrees and understanding of statistics can just dismiss us plebs as you please.A word to the wise that's how you got brexit.

Well we can dismiss ignorance parading as ‘common sense’.

Nobody’s got Brexit yet.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JAG said:

It is often said on Thai Visa that there is more to Thailand than Bangkok. Perhaps the same is true of the UK and London?

What is more, let's not forget who is the editor of The Evening Standard, a man whose political career was ended by the EU referendum result ("oops"), and a man whose last weeks' as a political figure were marked by enthusiasm for predicting a terrible fate for the country if the the British Electorate failed to support his wish for the result to be 'remain". Predictions made whilst in an office (Chancellor of the Exchequer) in which he could hardly be unaware of the impact of his claims when the result was announced.

I should imagine that his axe is pretty sharp by now...

A case of shooting the messenger and ignoring the message.

One of the many Quitling tenets.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rixalex said:

Of course Brexit will bring some damage in some areas. Who is disputing that?

Now that damage has been accepted as unavoidable, the question no one will address is at what cost does the damage come unacceptable?

Back where we started, you are obviously quite happy for essential services to take a hit over this fiasco.

• Like 1

WHere's a great idea ... play Brexit bingo!

Go through the thread and see how man Quitling cliches you can tick off on the card below.

Once you have a full set, cry Bingo!

Your prize is the realisation that Brexit is not based on reason, only cliche and prejudice.

coipf5owaaanz8q (1).webp

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

And the damage is a lot more than financial.

With just 200 days to go until Britain leaves the EU, Mr Baker, a former chairman of the ERG, said Ms May would be undermined in negotiations if she pushes ahead with proposals she is unlikely to get through Parliament. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-party-split-theresa-may-chequers-brexit-steve-baker-conference-a8530126.html

• Like 1

And the damage will strike in all walks of life.

The government had previously attempted to reassure scientists by claiming they would still have access to EU funding under ‘third country’ rules, in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

But following the publication this week of their plans for a no-deal Brexit, the government has updated advice to scientists to concede funding from the EU would be lost. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brexit-no-deal-eu-horizon2020-dominic-raab-a8506146.html

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Do you know, I take issue with being called a "quitling". I'll tell you why. "Quitling" is close, intentionally so, to "Quisling", who as all will know was a Norwegian Nazi traitor, who welcomed the German subjugation and occupation of his country, and paid the price (executed) for doing so. It is a term of political abuse which is deliberately intended to convey a meaning which is diametrically opposed to the views I hold, and the vast majority who share or hold variants of those views.

It is a telling reminder of the depths to which you have sunk in this debate that you think it is clever or appropriate, and can only respond with a  sneer. I can imagine the clever little smirk which crossed your face as you typed it. 

Now yes, that is a personal comment. Calling me a 'Quisling", even if you have changed one consonant, is also a very personal and offensive comment, so if you do it again I shall report you. Understood?

I put kwilco on my ignore list weeks ago and now the only time I see his post is if somebody responds to them.

Add him to your ignore list and the more people that do it will deprive him of a response.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Now that damage has been accepted as unavoidable, the question no one will address is at what cost does the damage come unacceptable?

Back where we started, you are obviously quite happy for essential services to take a hit over this fiasco.

Looking at recent European  elections,  a question you might well ask fellow Remainers and the EU and the EC? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aright said:

Looking at recent European  elections,  a question you might well ask fellow Remainers and the EU and the EC? 

Same old out of context response.

What has European elections got to do with the damage being inflicted on the UK by brexit?

Absolutely nothing, just using my post as an excuse to promote your own EU paranoia.

• Like 1

You're asking for something that can't be given. You want a figure to be put on what Brexit will cost and then you want it to be weighed up as to whether it's worth it. As stated numerous times, Brexit has never been done before. Nobody knows what the future holds for Britain out of the EU. Some people predict apocalypse, some Utopia, some something inbetween. How much will it cost? Nobody knows and anybody who tells you they do is lying.

And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said I was happy for essential services to be hit. I said that I didn't believe that without Brexit essential services would be doing fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Same old out of context response.

What has European elections got to do with the damage being inflicted on the UK by brexit?

Absolutely nothing, just using my post as an excuse to promote your own EU paranoia.

Same old pedantic, we are outside the box, shuffle. 

Should you need reminding no damage has been inflicted on the UK; Brexit hasn't happened yet. European Elections have created damage in the EU however...…. although you don't seem to want to accept it or can't explain it or more likely don't believe it..

If I was a tightrope walker I would inspect the anchor points on both sides of the wire before crossing. That's not paranoia that's common sense. No further comment is needed.

Edited by aright
  • Like 2