visas and jobs in chiang mai?

Hello,I'd like a bit of help.My bf is a thai national and I'll go for the first time in Thailand this october but I plan to move there. I wonder if i get the tourist visa of 30 or 60 days will i be able to find a job? I'm only 20 years old. I'm interested in chomthong district too. And I can apply for the working visa just after my tourist visa will expire right? I know the easiest way to move in Thailand for me would be the marriage visa but I wish I can live there by a tourist visa or working visa before.

Any suggestions would be appreciate! Thank you 

I will ask mods to move this to the Thai visas forum.

Not Chiang Mai specific.

What kind of work you expect to find in Chomthong district that are allowed for foreigners?

I don't want to comment much on the questions but I am afraid you have a somewhat simplified idea of how to find a job and get a work permit.

"bf" / "marriage visa"

Legally married (registered in Thailand) or not?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Suggest you need to research 'visa' (official permission to physically be in Thailand) and 'work permits' (official permission to work in Thailand).

Visas and work permits are approved / handled by different agencies.

- Visas - Thai Immigration Bureau.

- Work Permits - Thai Labour ministry.

There is no such thing as a work visa. There is no such thing as a work permit to work in any job. You cannot apply stand alone to get a work permit. You must be an employee to get a work permit. 

Big picture:

- Get a Work permit (but to do this you must have a contract of employment with a Thai listed company (could also mean school), in a specific job which is a type of work foreigners are permitted to do in Thailand. 

- Then the work permit gives you access to a one of the several visa types which allows you to stay longer is Thailand but usually a maximum period of one year, but renewable. (Remembering there is no such thing as a work visa.)

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

I wish you luck, but this is going to be tough. Having come in with a tourist visa, you will then need to find a Thai company that is willing to employ you. There are restrictions on the kinds of jobs foreigners are allowed to perform. Also, getting a long stay stamp (called an extension) from Thai immigration requires you to be earning a minimum salary that you may well not be offered as a 20-year-old. Some of this would be simplified by marriage, but getting a suitable job may still be difficult.