I need another 30 days, what are my "safest" options?

So far this year, I've done two same-day border runs to Cambodia by land (I believe this is called visa-exempt), and one border run to Vientianne for a 60-day tourist Visa. I also have two separate 60-day TV's from Vientianne and Penang, back in 2017.

My current Visa was recently extended and will expire in September, and I'll be headed back home to the US in November, so I am currently brainstorming about what option to choose to stay for 2 more months after September.

What I'd really love to do is just do another same-day visa-exempt to Cambodia, but I'm aware that only two per year are allowed. Is the consensus on here that this policy is enforced at the borders? I did do a search, and it seems that most are advising not to even try, which I'm happy to do if that's the prevailing wisdom.

So if the same-day border run is off the menu, my first thought is to fly out and fly back in to get 30 days on arrival, but my next question here is are the immigration officers at Don Mueang still giving people a hard time? Last year when I flew in from Penang they asked a whole series of questions that had me feeling like there was actually a chance that they were considering denying me entry, or I don't know what other consequence was a possibility, but between me and the person at the counter next to me, it was clear that they were, at the very least, giving people a hard time, and this was when my passport had less than half the stamps it has now.

How concerned should I be about flying in through DMK, as AirAsia would be the airline I'd use (to Singapore and back)?

Finally, if the first two options are both unsafe, particularly with the amount of stamps and Visas in my passport, would Vientianne be the "safest" bet for tourist visa through land borders? I've only done it twice, but each time it felt completely care-free. However, I find the mobs at the embassy to be a bit much to take, and I'm wondering if another land border is just as care-free but without the mob?

Any advice anyone can offer is really appreciated. Thank you.

If staying so long as a ‘tourist’ you should avoid visa exempt entry. You’ve had your two land entries for 2018, and there’s a chance you’ll questioned at any airport, especially if re-entering the same day or soon after. Get a SETV to cover your last entry/stay.

Savannakhet is less busy. They require a bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20K baht and an onward flight. Vientiane don’t require either.

why so many ins and outs?  If you are going to keep coming and going, buy a Visa Elite and stop sweating things.  The METV to me is more of a pain and not worth it, but there is that option.  Just suggesting that if you are going to make more trips in the future, don't choose a point design that will not help the future

Edited by gk10002000
change
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

why so many ins and outs?  If you are going to keep coming and going, buy a Visa Elite and stop sweating things.  The METV to me is more of a pain and not worth it, but there is that option.  Just suggesting that if you are going to make more trips in the future, don't choose a point design that will not help the future

Thats the way ...

'VISA ELITE".......Stop all this coming an going and border runs an just absolute craziness......Hoping your not a cheap charlie ....

We know little about your full situation, so all your options are unclear. As already advised, do not try a visa exempt entry. You need a visa. If, as I suspect, you want to retain options for the future, I suggest you go to Savannakhet for your tourist visa. If you already have a flight booked back to the US, that satisfies one of the requirements for an application at Savannakhet, and you ought to be able to provide a bank statement (from Thailand or the US).

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

We know little about your full situation, so all your options are unclear. As already advised, do not try a visa exempt entry. You need a visa. If, as I suspect, you want to retain options for the future, I suggest you go to Savannakhet for your tourist visa. If you already have a flight booked back to the US, that satisfies one of the requirements for an application at Savannakhet, and you ought to be able to provide a bank statement (from Thailand or the US).

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't done savannakhet, but when I read up on it the impression I get is that it's a lot more independent than what I'm used to with other border runs. After a quick google search, I was unable to find a company that offers a border run service to there. I imagine this is because there are none?

Anyone care to weigh in on just how much more convenient are the shorter lines at savannakhet, compared to the mobs at vientianne, and does it outweigh the convenience of having a company to pay one set price to and then handles all transportation, and accommodations?

Anyone care to weigh in on just how much more convenient are the shorter lines at savannakhet, compared to the mobs at vientianne, and does it outweigh the convenience of having a company to pay one set price to and then handles all transportation, and accommodations?

Do it Yourself, Requires a ONE Night stay in Savanakhet.....

• Thanks 1

I need another 30 days, what are my "safest" options?

16 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

o I am currently brainstorming about what option to choose to stay for 2 more months

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

If you are going to keep coming and going, buy a Visa Elite and stop sweating things

Apparently he's just looking for "another 30 days" or "2 more months." before returning to the US in November. Not sure if he thinks those two time periods equate, but at this point an Elite Visa would seem like overkill.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

The lower numbers applying in Savannakhet is not the main reason I suggest going there this time. It may not even be necessary if you intend getting one more tourist visa for Thailand, and then not returning for a year or two. The main point is that an application in Savannakhet is a sure thing that does not affect your chances of getting a tourist visa in the future in places like Vientiane, Yangon, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. Since you can easily meet the requirements for a Savannakhet application this time, it makes sense not to apply elsewhere and possibly make that location unavailable for future visa runs.

You are correct that there do not seem to be visa run companies using Savannakhet at the current time. It is quite easy to do it yourself, especially as there are mostly no scams you need to protect yourself from.

My suggested solution is:

• ensure you have some visa photos, print out of your flight booking back to the US, and print out of recent bank statement showing at least US$700 or 20,000 baht;
  • overnight bus to Mukdahan;
  • international bus from Mukdahan bus station to Savannakhet (you clear Thai and Lao immigration, returning to the bus each time);
  • at Lao immigration, you get a visa on arrival for Laos; to save money, be prepared to pay using US dollars;
  • book a hotel near Savannakhet bus station for one night, planning to stash your bag there on arrival at the bus station;
  • while I would walk to the Thai consulate, you may want to take an overpriced taxi, songtaew or tuktuk (the only real scam you need to worry about) making sure you arrive before about 10:30 am to avoid rushing;
  • at the consulate, you may need to copy your passport data page and and Lao entry stamp (sometimes they want it, often not, ask someone);
  • fill out the visa application form and attach a photo (or have someone do it for you: there are several places, including one upstairs in the consulate who will do it for you);
  • submit the application, paying 1,000 baht cash, and receiving a receipt for collection the next day;
  • the next day; check out of your hotel, have a leisurely lunch, and take your bag with you to the consulate arriving about 2:00 pm;
  • pick up your passport, and arrange to share a songtaew with others to the bridge or bus station (you will be overcharged);
  • international bus in conjunction with Lao and Thai immigration back to Mukdahan bus station;
  • use a fly-ride service back from Mukdahan to Don Muang on Nok Air (Air Asia also possible, but fewer flights); book this at least 10 days in advance or pay extra;
  • arrive back in Don Muang late evening.

I supply a lot of detail above, but just relax and ask questions along the way if confused. You have plenty of slack time to figure out what to do. There are always "pros" around who are happy to help you.

Thanks for the incredible details, friend...

If I were to add that I'm intending on getting a new passport before I come back, would you then say that your main consideration for reserving Vientianne et al needn't for a later date when I satisfy less pre-requisites is now out of the equation? If so, I would then still be mostly interested in the convenience factor, if you wouldn't mind.

Also, regarding return trip from Vientianne, why do you advise a bus on the way to Mukdahan, but a flight on the way back? Also what is the reason for paying USD at Laos immigration rather than THB? I've yet to pay anyone in USD anywhere in SEAsia, and can't help but feel a little leery of bringing out green money anywhere but at the currency exchange.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Apparently he's just looking for "another 30 days" or "2 more months." before returning to the US in November. Not sure if he thinks those two time periods equate, but at this point an Elite Visa would seem like overkill.  

For purposes of brevity I figured it best to not spell out that the additional 30 days I "need" to stay another 2 months meant that an extension at Chaeng Wattana was already implicit. But I get that that wasn't the main point you were making in reply to the other poster. 

26 minutes ago, Glenn128 said:

If I were to add that I'm intending on getting a new passport before I come back, would you then say that your main consideration for reserving Vientianne et al needn't for a later date when I satisfy less pre-requisites is now out of the equation? If so, I would then still be mostly interested in the convenience factor, if you wouldn't mind.

If you will be getting a new passport, then using Vientiane is completely fine.

26 minutes ago, Glenn128 said:

Also, regarding return trip from Vientianne, why do you advise a bus on the way to Mukdahan, but a flight on the way back? Also what is the reason for paying USD at Laos immigration rather than THB? I've yet to pay anyone in USD anywhere in SEAsia, and can't help but feel a little leery of bringing out green money anywhere but at the currency exchange.

When going to Savannakhet, the fly-ride service arrives too late to apply for a visa the same day. On the other hand, the overnight bus, typically arriving in Mukdahan about 6:00 am, allows an almost perfect connection. For the return, the fly-ride service gets you home the same evening, rather than the following morning. Further, although I advise going to Mukdahan by overnight bus because of the ideal connection, I tend to avoid long bus journeys unless they carry significant advantages.

The reason for paying the Lao visa on arrival in US dollars rather than Thai baht is that it saves you about 500 baht. I would rather spend the money on Beer Lao, but it is up to you.

[For going to Vientiane, my choice in to fly to/from Udon Thani in both directions (transferring to/from Vientiane via the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai). I definitely do not want to travel in one of the vans, often used by visa run companies, all the way from Bangkok.]

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you will be getting a new passport, then using Vientiane is completely fine.

When going to Savannakhet, the fly-ride service arrives too late to apply for a visa the same day. On the other hand, the overnight bus, typically arriving in Mukdahan about 6:00 am, allows an almost perfect connection. For the return, the fly-ride service gets you home the same evening, rather than the following morning. Further, although I advise going to Mukdahan by overnight bus because of the ideal connection, I tend to avoid long bus journeys unless they carry significant advantages.

The reason for paying the Lao visa on arrival in US dollars rather than Thai baht is that it saves you about 500 baht. I would rather spend the money on Beer Lao, but it is up to you.

[For going to Vientiane, my choice in to fly to/from Udon Thani in both directions (transferring to/from Vientiane via the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai). I definitely do not want to travel in one of the vans, often used by visa run companies, all the way from Bangkok.]

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, the van trips with the visa companies are not fun, so I am definitely interested in trying it solo...

My main question is about processing the entry VISA when you get to immigration at Laos. The one thing that has always driven me absolutely nuts is that no matter how close you are to the front of the line (I'm ashamed to say that I once sprinted to be first) at Thai immigration, it all gets completely negated by the time you get to Laos immigration because all of the Filipinos (and presumably some other ASEAN peoples) get to just walk straight through while I have to sit and wait for my company's (meesuk) batch of International passports to be released. So no matter what I do, by the time I get to the Laos embassy, I'm still left 200 or more places behind everyone else, while they all get to sit in the shade and under fans, while I get to stand out in the sun while we wait for 2 hours.

How do you beat this? If I go to the counter on my own do they still take forever to process the Visa? Is it an advantage to submit your own passport as an individual, or submitted by the Visa company?

The disconnect between how many spots lost in line between the Thai border and the time you actually make it to the Laos embassy is absolutely maddening.

Any advice?

Have you considered getting a tourist visa in Saigon ...Ho Chi Minh City ? A great place to visit. Low cost airfare. Helpful Thai Consulate.

I base this on reports of others posted on the facebook forum Thai Visa Advice. I read many like forums and appreciate the input and postings from expat experts and individuals.

Good luck...

Tj

2 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

Have you considered getting a tourist visa in Saigon ...Ho Chi Minh City ? A great place to visit. Low cost airfare. Helpful Thai Consulate.

I base this on reports of others posted on the facebook forum Thai Visa Advice. I read many like forums and appreciate the input and postings from expat experts and individuals.

Good luck...

Tj

Yes, I've considered it, but from my experience, and at the advice of others in this thread, the Immigration Officers at the airport are more hostile to people with multiple Visas in their passport, as I already have. I've personally experienced when I flew in from Penang, and that was only my 2nd TV in my passport. I definitely am interested in using Saigon as a destination for my first border run after I get my next passport, though.

4 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, the van trips with the visa companies are not fun, so I am definitely interested in trying it solo...

My main question is about processing the entry VISA when you get to immigration at Laos. The one thing that has always driven me absolutely nuts is that no matter how close you are to the front of the line (I'm ashamed to say that I once sprinted to be first) at Thai immigration, it all gets completely negated by the time you get to Laos immigration because all of the Filipinos (and presumably some other ASEAN peoples) get to just walk straight through while I have to sit and wait for my company's (meesuk) batch of International passports to be released. So no matter what I do, by the time I get to the Laos embassy, I'm still left 200 or more places behind everyone else, while they all get to sit in the shade and under fans, while I get to stand out in the sun while we wait for 2 hours.

How do you beat this? If I go to the counter on my own do they still take forever to process the Visa? Is it an advantage to submit your own passport as an individual, or submitted by the Visa company?

The disconnect between how many spots lost in line between the Thai border and the time you actually make it to the Laos embassy is absolutely maddening.

Any advice?

First, if using Vientiane, avoid the days most of the visa run companies make trips. Usually, this is Monday and Thursday, so go Tuesday or Wednesday. Second, when applying on when of those quieter days, deliberately arrive at the consulate about 10:30 am. By that time, the queue is short. The only downside of this is that passport pick up the next day is later. However, you can just plan for that accordingly, arriving at the consulate for passport pick up around 3:00 pm and taking a later flight back from Udon to Don Muang.

Another good alternative: go somewhere else. You will likely need to show an onward flight reservation and bank statement, but that is the trade off.

4 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

I definitely am interested in using Saigon as a destination for my first border run after I get my next passport, though.

The new passport helps with the consulates, but not with Thai immigration on entry at the airport. Your old and new passports will be linked in immigration's computers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

First, if using Vientiane, avoid the days most of the visa run companies make trips. Usually, this is Monday and Thursday, so go Tuesday or Wednesday. Second, when applying on when of those quieter days, deliberately arrive at the consulate about 10:30 am. By that time, the queue is short. The only downside of this is that passport pick up the next day is later. However, you can just plan for that accordingly, arriving at the consulate for passport pick up around 3:00 pm and taking a later flight back from Udon to Don Muang.

Another good alternative: go somewhere else. You will likely need to show an onward flight reservation and bank statement, but that is the trade off.

Great advice. I had never considered how much of the problem was due to the simple fact that the Visa companies all go on Monday and Thursday...

Would you have a general guess at approximately how much the crowd is reduced on the "off" days vs Mon/Thu? Also, are you aware of a company that goes on an off day? Also, I'm assuming that the embassy is closed on weekends, and therefore is Friday not an option?

Regarding going somewhere else, is there another land border that's highly (or less) recommendable besides Savannakhet?

3 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

Also, I'm assuming that the embassy is closed on weekends, and therefore is Friday not an option?

Friday is a great option if you do not mind spending the weekend in Vientiane, returning Monday. The consulate is very quiet when applying Friday. You are correct that there is no passport collection on Saturday and Sunday.

3 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

Would you have a general guess at approximately how much the crowd is reduced on the "off" days vs Mon/Thu?

My experience is that there is almost no queue on Tuesday and Wednesday around 10:30 am. How much of a reduction in total applications this represents, I have no idea, and have never cared.

OP< please see attached visa form for Savannakhet. No time wasted, they usually sell these forms opposite the consulate.

There's a nice pub with live music for the evening on the main road and a great restaurant with a big penguin in front close to the Mekhong river. The visa for Laos is much cheaper when you've got some dollars. Do not pay an additional 200 baht after you've purchased and paid for your visa. They often try it. 

SVK-VisaForm.PDF

Edited by jenny2017

On 8/12/2018 at 5:33 AM, BritTim said:

The new passport helps with the consulates, but not with Thai immigration on entry at the airport. Your old and new passports will be linked in immigration's computers.

I was unaware of this. What level of caution do you think I should have regarding flying in or out of the country, and does the airport choice matter?

My current situation is that I have been in Thailand since December '17 with 2 same-day border runs to Cambodia, and a trip to Vientianne, in that same span. Prior to that I had stayed from April to November with one flight to PH, and a border run to Vientianne.

What level of caution do you think I should have about flying in or out? Should I just avoid flying for now? Or is it just a particular airport (DMK)?Most importantly, when I fly home for the Holidays and come back just before New Years in Suvarnabhumi with a new passport (I know you said that doesn't matter), should I feel any apprehension about that?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Glenn128 said:

I was unaware of this. What level of caution do you think I should have regarding flying in or out of the country, and does the airport choice matter?

My current situation is that I have been in Thailand since December '17 with 2 same-day border runs to Cambodia, and a trip to Vientianne, in that same span. Prior to that I had stayed from April to November with one flight to PH, and a border run to Vientianne.

What level of caution do you think I should have about flying in or out? Should I just avoid flying for now? Or is it just a particular airport (DMK)?Most importantly, when I fly home for the Holidays and come back just before New Years in Suvarnabhumi with a new passport (I know you said that doesn't matter), should I feel any apprehension about that?

Thanks again.

As long as you fly in with a tourist visa the odds of being denied entry are very, very small.

However, the longer you stay as a ‘tourist’ the higher the chances are of being questioned at any border. Having 20K cash on you, an onward flight within 60 days, and a hotel booking are the things an IO might ask to see if they are scrutinising your entries. But even providing those doesn’t guarantee entry if the IO is intent on denying entry.

If they deny entry at the airport they will send you back from where you came. No big deal other than the inconvenience. Being denied entry for not really being a tourist doesn’t disqualify you from entering in the future.

If you’re denied at a land border it’s less of an inconvenience as you can turn around and re-enter the country you came from. 

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 9:06 PM, Suradit69 said:
On 8/11/2018 at 5:26 AM, gk10002000 said:

If you are going to keep coming and going, buy a Visa Elite and stop sweating things

I found myself in a similar situation this year when my contract ended and my WP was cancelled.  I wanted to do a year of traveling in the Kingdom and Asia before I head back to the USA after an 8 year absence, but 500,000 baht for under a year didn't seem like a very good value for the peace of mind I'd have gotten buying an Elite Visa instead of cobbling together a bunch of visa exempt entries. 

And if I do come back to Thailand after cleaning up things back home and seeing how I like it there, I'll come on a Non-OA and a retirement scheme.  Fortunately, I was able to get by on visa exempt, but I was always prepared for a flight home if I was denied entry.  Made for some nervous queues at immigration, but not 500K worth of nervous.  

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

As long as you fly in with a tourist visa the odds of being denied entry are very, very small.

However, the longer you stay as a ‘tourist’ the higher the chances are of being questioned at any border. Having 20K cash on you, an onward flight within 60 days, and a hotel booking are the things an IO might ask to see if they are scrutinising your entries. But even providing those doesn’t guarantee entry if the IO is intent on denying entry.

If they deny entry at the airport they will send you back from where you came. No big deal other than the inconvenience. Being denied entry for not really being a tourist doesn’t disqualify you from entering in the future.

If you’re denied at a land border it’s less of an inconvenience as you can turn around and re-enter the country you came from. 

If you get denied at an airport, how do they send you back? Obviously, by plane, but do they send you to a flight counter and force you to book a flight on the spot? 

Also, should a Westerner (USA) have any concerns about showing up without a tourist VISA? I've flown here twice from the states, and once from PH, all 3 times through BKK, and each timethe IO couldn't have been finished with me any faster. Each time I had onward flight tickets worth probably $40-$60 each, and each time they never asked for it. Can't help but wonder if they ever really ask...

50 minutes ago, Glenn128 said:

If you get denied at an airport, how do they send you back? Obviously, by plane, but do they send you to a flight counter and force you to book a flight on the spot? 

You may be able to buy a ticket back and wait in the outgoing area - OR - you may be put in detention until your flight is boarding.  Either way, you will be forced to buy a last-minute, overpriced ticket.

50 minutes ago, Glenn128 said:

Also, should a Westerner (USA) have any concerns about showing up without a tourist VISA? I've flown here twice from the states, and once from PH, all 3 times through BKK, and each timethe IO couldn't have been finished with me any faster. Each time I had onward flight tickets worth probably $40-$60 each, and each time they never asked for it. Can't help but wonder if they ever really ask...

Yes - if they have a longer-stay history in Thailand - even if the longer-stay was a year or more ago.  Visa-Exempt entries are given by Immigration, whereas "Visas" are given by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).  Immigration still has the right to deny entry to foreigners with a visa, but this is much less common.

Even though I always enter Thailand with a Visa, I quit using the airports due to the horror-stories - including those denied-entry with valid-visas, plus 20K Baht cash, plus a valid air-ticket out - denied for reasons like "inability to sustain themselves in Thailand" - with no list of documents one could provide to prove otherwise.  I have seen suggested lists of documents here, with the reply that "tourists wouldn't carry those sort of documents" - so it's a Catch-22 situation.

But, unlike airports, the only land-border which is reported to deny entry to foreigners with a valid-visa (in years) is the Poipet-Aranya border-point.  All other land-crossings are fine.  One option from those coming from further away, is to fly to Penang, take the train into Thailand, then fly out of Hat Yai airport domestic to your destination in-country.  But be sure to have 20K Baht worth of cash to show (can be in another currency), as this is widely reported as requested to show when entering from Malaysia. 

They will usually get a representative of the airline that flew you in to organise tickets as they have an obligation to return you. It’s possible, only with Immigrations acceptance, to buy a flight elsewhere.

Immigration aren’t generally interested in onward flights, and can’t deny entry specifically for not having one. Their only real relevance to Immigration is evidencing to an IO you are a ‘typical tourist’.

It is the airlines that may insist on an onward flight due to their obligation to fly out anyone denied entry.

6 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

Usually, the airline that brought you to Thailand is responsible for returning you to the original embarkation airport. You typically do not need to pay for this, but expect them to use any unused tickets you have with that airline . However, various complications can arise. In particular, the country you just came from may not want to readmit you. Sometimes, the airline will send you back to your home country instead. Also, the airline might point at conditions of carriage that suggest you are responsible for the cost. It does not seem this is enforceable unless you have specifically signed an indemnity form. If you want to go somewhere else, you will need to pay. Talk to the airline representative if you want to arrange this. They will likely be happy to have you off their hands.