Poll candidates with military background ‘least desirable’

webfact

Poll candidates with military background ‘least desirable’

By The Nation

839984a87874b5c0b81eb6f356c13062.jpeg

Election candidates with a military background are the least desirable, the results of a public opinion survey showed on Sunday.

The largest number of respondents – 29.1 per cent – said they preferred civil servants as MP candidates, though some 7.5 per cent said they wanted more members of the armed forces running in the elections, a Suan Dusit poll shows.

Businesspeople came in second (25.4 per cent), followed by lawyers (22 per cent) and academics (16 per cent).

Suan Dusit University collected the opinions of 1,034 people across the country from last Wednesday until Saturday. 

When asked which subject the election candidates should have majored in, 41.2 per cent of the respondents said Economics, followed by Political Science (22 per cent), Business Administration (14.7 per cent), Law (14.5 per cent) and Public Administration (7.5 per cent).

As for what characteristic was the most important factor for voting in their representative, 27.9 per cent said honesty. 

Knowledge and capability came in second, with 25.2 per cent support, followed by personal history (16.2 per cent), educational background (15.9 per cent) and political experience (14.9 per cent).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30351999

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-13

Oh how time changes, i remember 15-20 years ago the roadside signs with the pictures of the candidates in full military/police and scholar regalia, the more medals and ribbons the better, so much so that even civilian candidates had to don some kind of uniform to look attractive to the voters..  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, newnative said:

Maybe because Thais have seen how they have performed, or, in many cases, not performed.

Won't matter what the survey says. The Pm can't read English so he won't even look at it. Easy way he will get around it make soldiers take off the uniform and say they Businessmen. Thais will fall for it. So Pvt La la wong will become Mr. La La wong  That I show easy it is to fool Thais

• Like 2

Are there any honest politicians in this nation? Is there anyone who will step up, who could truly represent the common man here? I would love to see them emerge. 

There is nobody in the US. No honest politicians left. The last one was John McCain. A true American hero. A man ready to admit his foibles and his mistakes. A man of real courage and decency. A man who was insulted by the current five time draft dodger, for getting captured after his plane was shot down. Real heroes do not get captured! Easy to say for you, as a fearful, corrupt, lying, cheating, bankrupting, hating, charlatan president. 

Before that Bill Richardson, who resigned from the panel in Burma recently, when he saw what a racist and ignorant bigot Suu Kyi was, and how they were trying to whitewash the Rohinga genocide. Bill Bradley, the former New Jersey senator was also a man of courage and an honest man. Anyone else? I doubt it. Washington is even more of a swamp now, than before the giant crocodile became president. Drain the swamp? How about repopulating it with alligators of his ilk? How about never, ever being able to say no to a lobbyist? 

I do hope the military is shown the door. They do not deserve to represent the Thai people. Over the past four years they have shown repeatedly, how little they care for the common man, and how important money, power, and the protection of the elite, the powerful, and those who are connected, or in office are to them. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Here everything is based on military drill, begin at the school and continue all the lifelong. So must be not so difficult to find someone with a military background.

Regarding the surveys generally, they never give the real opinion of the peoples and is even very easy to manipulate it.

• Like 1

Military Intelligence. Another oxymoron. If you can't make it normal live. Join the military. See the world and kill people. Lets face it the military never gets the creme de la creme from the higher education establishments does it? Its usually the oposite end of the IQ scale. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

should have majored in, 41.2 per cent of the respondents said Economics,

Well that would rule out military candidates BUT they will rule themselves in. :sad:

Thai "democracy" will be - we will tell you who to vote for, so do as your told!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Not only in Thailand. Military men in South East Asia have only brought massive corruption and poverty to their people. Leaders like Marcos, Suharto and Hun Sen only ruined their countries and contributed little to the progress of respective countries. 

Farang may recognise that but Thai people will never be told or allowed to learn about them. 

• Like 1

I are a extremely street smart man and well versed in cons scams and extortion. I served in the military and know this. The coup was a set up. A charade and a desperate attempt to earn. They are not capable of uniting or reforming a sick Soi dog. No the Thai people do not want them and this will show come elections. Even rigged they will not win..So return the country you stole and say sorry for the destruction you have caused. You may see less jail time later 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Military Intelligence. Another oxymoron. If you can't make it normal live. Join the military. See the world and kill people. Lets face it the military never gets the creme de la creme from the higher education establishments does it? Its usually the oposite end of the IQ scale. 

What a load of BS.

Have you ever been in the military?

I served from 1960 to 1984 and never killed a soul. I couldn't even kill the paper target at 25 yards.

My kill rate was mostly mosquitoes and flies.

I owned and ran 2 successful companies after I left and I lived and worked in 38 countries over a 50 year working life.

How about you?

Got to wonder what demographics were represented in the pool of those surveyed. If it truly was a cross section of Thai society it does not bode well for the current rulers. And the longer they are left in office the more those numbers will skew unless they are there because they were elected. There needs to be an election...soon! 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

What a load of BS.

Have you ever been in the military?

I served from 1960 to 1984 and never killed a soul. I couldn't even kill the paper target at 25 yards.

My kill rate was mostly mosquitoes and flies.

I owned and ran 2 successful companies after I left and I lived and worked in 38 countries over a 50 year working life.

How about you?

There are exceptions to the rule and i apologise. It was a bit tongue in cheek. No offence meant. Not the military I was Merchant Navy Engineering. Falkland Islands cruise thrown in as well. I am not trying to get one over here. I have done about 65 countries and i am 10 years behind you on my working life. Oil&Gas.

In all honesty these days i think for the younger generation the military is a good option if nothing else seems to fit. My son has just joined the RN. 

47 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

There are exceptions to the rule and i apologise. It was a bit tongue in cheek. No offence meant. Not the military I was Merchant Navy Engineering. Falkland Islands cruise thrown in as well. I am not trying to get one over here. I have done about 65 countries and i am 10 years behind you on my working life. Oil&Gas.

In all honesty these days i think for the younger generation the military is a good option if nothing else seems to fit. My son has just joined the RN. 

TBH it is true to some extent in a few countries. Russia and the USA spring to mind.

You are a braver man than me going to sea without even a gun to protect you.

Your son could make up 1% of the crew on the one possible working aircraft carrier if it ever gets any aircraft and goes to sea.

You may appreciate this.

A public health warning from the 'elf an safely orifice.

Please ensure that you are not not drinking hot coffee or eating anything that may choke you while reading this.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Royal_Air_Force

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

TBH it is true to some extent in a few countries. Russia and the USA spring to mind.

You are a braver man than me going to sea without even a gun to protect you.

Your son could make up 1% of the crew on the one possible working aircraft carrier if it ever gets any aircraft and goes to sea.

You may appreciate this.

A public health warning from the 'elf an safely orifice.

Please ensure that you are not not drinking hot coffee or eating anything that may choke you while reading this.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Royal_Air_Force

Ah, the military mind.

True story from WW2. An airman was given the job to repaint the centre line on the road leading to the airfield gate. Halfway down the road he accidently knocked the can over and being a quick thinker he painted a square on the area. War finished soon after and all went home.

20 years later he returned to a reunion on the airfield and, yes, you're ahead of me, the white square had been repainted every year.