Video: Wais all round - but no fines - after truck drivers square up with a sword

webfact

4 hours ago, robblok said:

The mentality will change if punishment is handed out, I am sure of it. The problem is that often punishment is not handed out and if you accept violence like this the next step.. shooting someone is easier too. So if you come down hard on this it will influence other crimes too. You cant eradicate crime but you can make an impact. Now its just totally wrong. 

The sun is only predicted to have about 5 billion years of life left. That's not enough time...

Nothing unusual here, just a couple of savages behaving like savages. What can the cops do with them? Can't start locking them up, within a few weeks there'd be several million of them behind bars, the country would collapse. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

The police did nothing.. I mean one would say a weapon and attack with one would result in a serious charge. If they don't charge people for it how will it ever change. 

Exactly.  The police are the main reason for the current situation regarding violent conduct.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

The police did nothing.. I mean one would say a weapon and attack with one would result in a serious charge. If they don't charge people for it how will it ever change. 

It's illegal to carry knives / swords / machetes etc in a public place without a very good reason. Attacking someone isn't a good reason.

They don't have to wait for anything and could, should, charge him. But as we know, nothing works like that.

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

It's illegal to carry knives / swords / machetes etc in a public place without a very good reason. Attacking someone isn't a good reason.

They don't have to wait for anything and could, should, charge him. But as we know, nothing works like that.

And they wonder why the Thai police are mocked

6 hours ago, robblok said:

The mentality will change if punishment is handed out, I am sure of it. The problem is that often punishment is not handed out and if you accept violence like this the next step.. shooting someone is easier too. So if you come down hard on this it will influence other crimes too. You cant eradicate crime but you can make an impact. Now its just totally wrong. 

The Thais have a word, ฝังใจ (fang jai), to refer to the cultural norm of "burying" ones emotions (it also means "to impress"). Thais are encouraged, in fact demanded, to bury their emotions and be polite and smile. And they understand that this process of burying one's feelings inevitably builds up over time, which is why they are careful to be extra polite in all social settings, lest someone's buried emotions explode. And one never knows when someone is at that breaking point. I think everyone agrees that the type of behavior in this episode should be punished more significantly than with a wai, but I seriously doubt this will make any difference in general. If the culture persists in forcing people to bury their emotions, this sort of explosive behavior will continue to be inevitable.

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

But they said it wasn't serious, reported Daily News.

So waving a 'parang' around and threatening another person in a public street is not serious?  Something is seriously wrong somewhere.

Yep ,,, The Law and the enforcers,,,,

10 hours ago, Rimmer said:

But they said it wasn't serious, reported Daily News.

So waving a 'parang' around and threatening another person in a public street is not serious?  Something is seriously wrong somewhere.

No... Treated as serious in most modern civilised countries... but

This is normal behaviour in Thailand and deemed perfectly exceptable by the BiB

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

You are 100% right in your way of thinking. There is one thing, though. That is how to change the mentallity of people? Here it doesn´t matter if you shoot one, the next idiot will stand around the corner and repeat his offense.

Not like Chicago eh?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

IT NEVER will here....the man with sword should be banged up for some years and banned from driving